News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mods disable achievements?

Started by Pangaea, September 15, 2014, 09:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelojian

Quote from: PangaeaCan see it from both sides really.

But all mods aren't cheats, or making the game easier either. It can be a translation to German or whatever, there is that tiny mod I use that just change "Season" in the buildings to "Year". And on the flipside, seemingly everybody and their dog are using firewood to trade tons and tons of food, so they can grow quickly to population levels unsustainable on their own.

The only way i could see luke letting mods that don't affect achievements in any way to allow achievements is if luke sets up a submissions proccess for said mods where he looks at them and if they are acceptable the author gives him the legal rights to them and then he puts them in as official add-ons.

Another idea would be if luke added to the modkit an alternate achievements matrix modders could make their own achievements (achievement progress data would be stored inside the modded folder)

rkelly17

Is there a game out there where using mods does not disable achievements? I know it does on Civ 5, the only Steam game I have where I use mods. It only seems to make sense: Go for achievements or have fun with mods. I guess the way I worded the choice shows where my preference is at. One could do what many here have done: Get all the achievements and then have fun with mods.

I think that I'm a bit odd in that I have always loved just building. I don't even want scenario goals (though they are pretty much unavoidable nowadays) because just when you're getting things running nicely and planning your next expansion the game informs you that you've achieved the goal and ends the scenario.  >:( I just want to plan and build and watch the results of my efforts play out. That's one reason I like Banished: I can keep a settlement running along until I am ready to try a different approach and move on.

Pangaea

After more thought, you are probably right rkelly. It would be too difficult to code some way to recognise what mods do what, and thus which to 'accept', so it's easier to just disable achievements when mods are used. I've no idea how this is done in other games, as I play next to no 'modern' games and stay as far away from steam (spit) as possible.

I simply recall from when I originally played the game, that achievements were mostly done very well in this game, and with a new computer and new installation of the game, everything is cleared now, so it would have been nice to gradually untick them as I played normally, just like before. But no big deal. Achievements isn't something I'll go chasing anyway, and people can always go for them with an unmodded game. Right now it's more fun to play with a few mods :)

A Nonny Moose

I think the simplest thing would be to make "achievements" an option.  Perhaps the default should be "off" when mods are used and "on" otherwise.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Paeng

Quote from: Pangaea on September 17, 2014, 07:12:46 AMso it would have been nice to gradually untick them as I played normally

Well, do it the old-fashioned way... the goals are very simple, sth. like "Keep a village of 300 souls alive for 30 years".

Just put them in a spreadsheet and "tick them off" while playing... the only thing you'll miss is that little red star that pops up for a few seconds... and your spreadsheet will work with or without mods  ;)

* Plus you can note down your own ideas for future challenges in it...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on September 17, 2014, 07:12:46 AM
. . . stay as far away from steam (spit) as possible.

That was my attitude in the beginning. When I first bought Civ 5 (I really am addicted to the Civ series) I was madder than hops that even buying the CD and installing from there automatically set you up on Steam. I don't want games to require me to be on line and I really don't want to "chat" with my friends while playing. I love you all, but not when I'm in the middle of building a city or creating a civilization. But Steam is sort of like Psoriasis. When I first learned I had it I was really bummed. Then it caused me to flunk my draft board physical in 1968, so it didn't seem quite so bad. Now it's a minor irritation that I've learned mostly to ignore.

canis39

I don't think the mods in Skyrim affect the achievements.