Brainstorming RedKetchup, mathieuso, GimmeCat, rageingnonsense

Started by assobanana76, September 24, 2014, 02:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

but there is another problem to make everything separated. if i dont build a new toolbar and I fill all the bars already created .... people wont like neither or maybe the game will bug if we have 103 items in 1 bar, so i tried to make my own bars. i take only one spot, but it opens like a box, i have my own toolbars in my own toolbars :)

so if i do seperated MODs, 2 things.

or i cant compile because part 2 need to place the icons on a 'ghost' toolbar made inside another MOD and I get 'Error!!'
or i redo the same toolbar over and over and then : 'Conflict!!' with another part. and you know how conflicts can be bad and give whatever resuts and bad crash results.

and we definitly cant satisfy everyone !

slink

The main thing I find difficult about mods in Banished is the changes made to the game mechanics which we, as users, can't alter because the rsc files are not distributed with the mod.  However, the mods are personal efforts of people willing to share their results with the community.  If we don't like it, we can learn to do it ourselves.

I am a little amazed that the game can be modded at all, frankly, since it wasn't written with that in mind.  I guess that must be the result of object-oriented programming methods.  It's not so hard now to insert a new instance into the toolbar.  Thirty years ago it would have been harder, or even impossible, to add things to in-game menus.   :)

rkelly17

Quote from: assobanana76 on October 01, 2014, 04:17:35 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on October 01, 2014, 04:15:12 AM
Personally I prefer to have a large number of more limited mods to choose from. I don't want everything all wrapped up in one big mod. Things you like, I may have no interest in, and vice versa.
well .. from the menu you could choose to build the fountain but not the water tower and vice versa ..

I think that I'm with @irrelevant here. With Banished mods once you load the mod you can't really pick and choose what to build or which products to use. They are all there and the merchants carry them all whether I build the facilities or not. For example, I like fountains for their looks, but I don't want water as a product. I'd much rather pick and choose before I install the mods, not after. So I am for "module" mods rather than "comprehensive" mods. Obviously, if someone wants to introduce a whole supply chain (such as @RedKetchup's dairy products) they need to do the whole supply chain. But with a "modular" approach I can choose not to include the whole mod but still use some little piece (such as @slink's Holstein cows) if I want.

It is the modder's option how to proceed and I respect their independence and creative integrity. I'm just expressing my personal hopes. And if, as @slink says, I want to get really worked up about it I need to create my own mods.

RedKetchup

irrelevant

Bobbi

When I speak of not particularly wanting mod collections, I am talking about mods that collect many disparate things, such as , in the example I gave, a new climate, no coal for heating, more fish, etc. They do not go together and introduce elements I do not want. Another one on BanishedMods is [All in One] Unified Collection [70+ Mods / Tweaks] by ApophisXP. Would never use, prefer to create my own collection.
The mod creators that have their own vision, such as @RedKetchup's Creamery, I don't mind. It is up to us if we ant to use or not. Red's decorative pack is all decorative elements, again I don't mind (in fact perfect). It would be better if the mods that add new resources that would be brought by merchants would offer "lite" versions of their mods which did not include these things, at least until the merchant bug has been squashed, whenever possible. Sometimes it is an integral part of the mod, like the Creamery. Again, there it is our choice if we want it or not. The Fountain Mod has a "lite" version but it does not yet have all of the decorative elements included in it, although I believe Cosacks intends to eventually. If he does, I will use that instead to not have water.

irrelevant

Pangaea

I agree with @Bobbi, @irrelevant and @rkelly17 as well, I prefer to have more modular mods, so I can pick and choose what I want in the game. Eventually I'd like water for making breads for instance, but I don't want the "Fountain" mod when it includes more things I don't want than features I want. Water with no purpose is useless, and the same with the stone collector. @RedKetchup's decorative items are great, but when it comes to buildings, crops and game functions, it's better to package them individually so people can pick and choose. That said, I liked the creamery mod, and it has to be all in one mod there, or the various parts won't work (right?). Something similar with just a butcher shop/pigs and bakery/mill/floour/bread/water would be great too.

Hopefully with time it will be possible to integrate more of the mods so they work in tandem. I notice that a few people have shared the source code, and that is great. Then we can change things ourselves if there is something we don't like. Think it was @ShockPuppet who shared his source, for the General Store mod, or perhaps that was Elfecutioner? In any case, I've seen some people do it, and that is great. Means we other plebs can learn how to do it more easily, and the collected knowledge among modders will be greater, and it will be easier to integrate various mods (this is one of the reasons I love open source software). Perhaps right now it's more a case of raising a name and "see what I can do?", but with time I hope the excellent modders are able to cooperate more, either directly or from sharing the source code.

assobanana76

ok .. I thought that the collaboration between modders (with chat, mail, etc. ..) it was an easy thing ..
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

slink

Collaboration between modders on the Internet is never an easy thing.  As Pangaea mentioned, there is first a sorting out of the abilities between complete strangers who have never actually met each other.  Then there must be a tenuous formation of trust, which is likewise scarce in Cyberspace.  And finally, teamwork amongst volunteers is never easy, even in real-life.  Without the incentive of the paycheck, it is very much about personalities.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 02, 2014, 06:00:07 AM
Collaboration between modders on the Internet is never an easy thing.  As Pangaea mentioned, there is first a sorting out of the abilities between complete strangers who have never actually met each other.  Then there must be a tenuous formation of trust, which is likewise scarce in Cyberspace.  And finally, teamwork amongst volunteers is never easy, even in real-life.  Without the incentive of the paycheck, it is very much about personalities.

Even in the SC 4 world where modders have had years to learn to collaborate and communities of modders have formed around specific projects, etc., there are still conflicts that rage and seem unresolvable. Something like sectarian conflict.  ;)

Ah, the joys and pitfalls of being human.

slink

assobanana76

we do not have to wait the necessary time for they to start to know each other ..
then we hope that Luke does not cut quickly versioe the beta ..
As usually lasts?
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rageingnonsense

Honestly, I would LOVE to collaborate with a few people to work on a grand mod project. I have an ambitious idea that in no way could I POSSIBLY finish myself.

The idea is to make the game have a second technology tier. Rough idea:

• wood resource converted to log resource
  • lumber added as tier two wood type
  • stone brick added as tier two stone type
  • fine parts added as tier two iron type
  • alter all stock resources to use the appropriate resource type
  • fill in the gaps. for instance, if wood house takes lumber; add log cabins for tier one housing

It's a huge huge undertaking, and most mods would not work in conjunction with this. It would need to be something that stands on its own.

That being said though, I have too much going on in my life to commit to such a project. The best I can do is slowly but surely work on mods that I can later combine into this (which is what I am doing now; log cabins being created because I made the sawmill, which I would like to be a lumber producer if this ever got anywhere). They are stand-alone, but if I ever found the free time, I could easily tweak them to be part of this.

Anyways, I digress. The whole point of this is that as much as I would love to collaborate, I don't have the time to be a good partner!  :P