Forestry Belt

River Bend

Autumn Rain

Lake with 'Nomad's Causeway'

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Pangaea

Looks excellent, good work :)

How did you find it was playing with the mods you used, were they balanced? Any particular issues?

Strange question, but how come there is the "Banished" logo in the bottom left? I see this in some pictures, but they're not in mine.

Paeng

Quote from: Pangaea on October 11, 2014, 02:08:51 PMLooks excellent, good work :)

Thank you!  :)

QuoteHow did you find it was playing with the mods you used, were they balanced? Any particular issues?

Well, I use plenty mods - currently about 35 of them (see here)... However, I stay away from any mod that simply doubles this, more of that, unlimited all, or over-boarding production chains and such... oh, and for now I stay away from any map-mods, too - most of them I found full of issues, from graphical glitches to full crashes, and I don't really have a need for them - I always find a pleasing seed... ;)

Generally the stuff I use seems to be pretty balanced, I don't see much where I'd say it is way over the top... except maybe for the "Happiness" modifiers - it seems to me, I can't make my peeps unhappy anymore... but maybe I'm just a good 'provider'  :D

There are some mods that do not seem to work as 'advertised' - but I'm still experimenting to find out if it's me or them... anyway, they are not crashing or game-breaking, so I take my time with them until I really understand how they work (or not)...

Quotehow come there is the "Banished" logo in the bottom left?

Because I put it there  ;)

irrelevant

Nice town, well displayed. I really like the causeway, that's very creative.

What's the building next to the chapel in the first two shots, with the long dormer across the middle?

Pangaea

Quote from: Paeng on October 11, 2014, 03:20:58 PM
Well, I use plenty mods - currently about 35 of them (see here)...

Generally the stuff I use seems to be pretty balanced, I don't see much where I'd say it is way over the top... except maybe for the "Happiness" modifiers - it seems to me, I can't make my peeps unhappy anymore... but maybe I'm just a good 'provider'  :D

There are some mods that do not seem to work as 'advertised' - but I'm still experimenting to find out if it's me or them... anyway, they are not crashing or game-breaking, so I take my time with them until I really understand how they work (or not)...

That's a really excellent overview of the mods; I hadn't even heard about that site. Interested to hear more about the "not as advertised" features, if you want to go deeper into it at this point. Not sure how much happiness really matters, but it seems fairly easy to keep it high, as long as you have churches and a cemetery for mourners to go to. If not, happiness will quickly go down, but not sure if it has any real or serious consequences.

Quotehow come there is the "Banished" logo in the bottom left?
Because I put it there  ;)

Haha, clever - I wondered if it was an option somewhere that I had missed. Would be nice if the default game stored screenshots in jpg or at least png intead of bmp though. They take up soooo much space compared, and I really can't be arsed to redo every single one for the blog.

Paeng

Quote from: Pangaea on October 11, 2014, 03:51:40 PMThat's a really excellent overview of the mods

Thanks again  :)
Yeah, maintaining that list keeps me somewhat organized, and up2date...

QuoteWould be nice if the default game stored screenshots in jpg or at least png

Well, I'm used to this, after maintaining CJs (City Journals) for so many years I got my screenshot routines pretty much down - in-game saves are just raw material to me  ;)
* Hopefully, there'll never be a PNG option though... fat and slow-loading without any benefit to image quality (for screenshots)... a horror for anybody on low bandwidth and/or a quota... but that's a different story.   :-X

Quote from: irrelevant on October 11, 2014, 03:45:11 PMthe building next to the chapel

That's the "Town House" from ShockPuppet's "Town & Textiles" Mod... a bit too modern for me, but he says there will be many variations soon - I think he works on attaching them to the "F" key...

rkelly17

Beautiful work, as always, @Paeng. And you do fine work to prepare the pics for posting.

For anyone who doesn't like .bmp screenshots, if you are using the Steam version F12 gives screenshots in .jpg format. I believe that this is a Steam function. I process those with GIMP to shrink them down before posting or to cut out the portion of interest.

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 11, 2014, 07:31:26 PMBeautiful work, as always

Thank you  :)

Yeah, taking screenshots had me frazzled at first, until I found the different key-bindings... that module could sure use some additional work, like user-defined formats, directories and file names (here we go again)  ;D

As is I'm already very happy he put in an option to take shots with or without the UI...  :)

Nilla

Looks great!

I like to hear more about how all these mods work as well, especially together. I am more "the careful kind of person", so I havn´t used so many at the same time, yet. Don´t they somehow interfere with eachother? 

Mahnogard

Quote from: Nilla on October 12, 2014, 12:18:14 PM
Looks great!

I like to hear more about how all these mods work as well, especially together. I am more "the careful kind of person", so I havn´t used so many at the same time, yet. Don´t they somehow interfere with eachother? 

They can conflict. The mod menu usually picks up on those that modify the same files, so it catches the obvious conflicts when you try to enable them, and lets you know about it, but it's possible for others to creep in undetected and you end up with "mystery crashes".

I use a lot of mods. Usually around 20 on any given town. The only crashes I've had were either trader boat related (which I use one of the fixes for - currently using RedKetchup's fix) or a UI failure. For some reason, on very rare occasions, a new town won't load the UI properly, and will crash within minutes. I think it's due to the mod I'm using the makes the professions window more horizontal. I've learned to look for the the warning signs (messed up menu buttons), make an immediate save after the map is generated, and then exit and reload the save and it's fine. It's a very rare thing, though.

Despite the number of mods, I am selective. If they don't improve my experience, then I don't use them next time. But I do like to try new things, so anything that appeals to me has to at least be tried out once. :)

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on October 12, 2014, 12:18:14 PMI am more "the careful kind of person", so I havn´t used so many at the same time, yet. Don´t they somehow interfere with eachother?

I'm rather careful, too... and kinda slow, mostly I enjoy the game at +1  :)

First of all I always think "Does this mod really do anything to improve my game experience?"... Second, I do not update or add mods haphazardly - I usually wait until I'm ready to start a new game... Then I delete all mods and replace them with a fresh, updated set - minus all the ones I found to 'not improve my experience'...  :)

Now I start a new game and first check that all my mods are "Enabled" properly, build some stuff, let it run for a while, save and exit. Go back in again and start the latest save, re-check that everything is still enabled and shows properly in the various in-game menus - if all checks fine, I start playing an extended session, freely mixing all the new or updated mods with my 'old' mods in as many situations and scenarios as possible, to see if they work as advertised or produce any weirdness or crashes... When I'm satisfied that things are stable --usually after about 50 to 80 years-- I add the new/updated stuff to my "Editor's Choice"... and the cycle starts again  :)

That way I have been able to keep my setup quite free of trouble, with a nice collection of stable mods... Right now I'm about to start a new game - I have to install the latest patch (Beta 1.0.4 Build 141003) and install/update all mods released after that patch.

I'll report if I find weirdness...  ;)

purringcat

Very nice.    :)    In the Farm Fields photo, the fields are long and narrow... what size are they.   I've been following the calculator tool that says 11x11 is the optimum size but would rather they be long and narrow.   Love how a little tweaking with the leveling mod offers so much landscaping freedom.   

snapster

How do some of your people supply themselves with tools, clothes, and firewood? Barns? More of those production buildings too? It seems a good number of people are not within the range of markets.

Coug_r

Quote from: snapster on October 28, 2014, 03:24:31 PM
How do some of your people supply themselves with tools, clothes, and firewood? Barns? More of those production buildings too? It seems a good number of people are not within the range of markets.

I think he is using Elfecutioner's General Store, the building that looks like a brewery (grey roof with chimney in the middle) in the screenshots: it is a smaller market.

snapster

Thank you. Buildings like that would facilitate these neat space maximizing designs we're seeing. Do the general stores stock from further out or are some of the production buildings repeated as well?