News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A Modest Suggestion

Started by A Nonny Moose, October 22, 2014, 12:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

All trees are not equal.  A walnut tree, especially a black walnut should not ever be used as firewood or building material.  This wood is too beautiful to be used for anything other than furniture.  The wood is actually a commodity and can be sold at much higher price than, say, spruce. 

In one of my houses I built and lived in, I successfully grew and brought to fruiting a black walnut.  It was the last two story house I ever had, because the kids moved out and there we were, empty nesters.  So we downsized into a nice bungalow.

We had always had a kind of selective arboretum in our back yards because my wife and I both liked trees, and the kids didn't object because they liked to climb things.  One tends to know a little about the value of stuff you are growing.

When we sold the house with the black walnut, we noticed going by one day that the tree was gone.  Talking to some of our old neighbours, we found that the new owner didn't like the tree because it attracted squirrels (tree rats he called them), and had it cut down.  He also had it chipped up by the tree removal outfit.  Both of them were damned fools.  A mature black walnut could have been sold on the market as logs for much more than it cost him to cut it down.  The furniture companies would probably have made it into veneers.

So, my suggestion is that the final game should distinguish between logging trees and commodity trees.  An orchard of walnuts or cherries produces a wood that can be sold to furniture makers rather than being used a building logs or firewood.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 22, 2014, 12:11:47 PM
When we sold the house with the black walnut, we noticed going by one day that the tree was gone.  Talking to some of our old neighbours, we found that the new owner didn't like the tree because it attracted squirrels (tree rats he called them), and had it cut down.  He also had it chipped up by the tree removal outfit.  Both of them were damned fools.  A mature black walnut could have been sold on the market as logs for much more than it cost him to cut it down.  The furniture companies would probably have made it into veneers.

Unbelievable, especially when you know people who have had black walnuts poached for the wood.

As for "commodity" trees, there are also a lot of oaks in Banished.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 23, 2014, 08:20:36 AM
<snip>
As for "commodity" trees, there are also a lot of oaks in Banished.

Wonder if this idea might interest Luke?

slink

I doubt it, since he apparently considers the game finished.  I get the feeling that he's financially independent enough that he works on things because he wants to, and not because a bunch of players are willing to pay him a few dollars each for him to work on something he's probably bored to death with now.

snapster

That depends on what they are proposing. If the guy didn't even anticipate mods he probably doesn't know what he's bored with.

Bobbi

Agree with @slink, I think he just wants to finalize the Mod version and then move on (probably already has) to other things. I am sure that he is bright enough to realize that, had he wanted to, he could have released DLC and some of us would have been happy to give him more money.

A Nonny Moose

In a way, that's kind of too bad.  Not planning a subsequent version (2.0 ...).  This is a pretty good game, but it could stand some refinements.

slink

According to an entry in his blog, he was kind of sorry he ever wrote a game for PCs.  His background was in game machines where the graphics adapters are all identical, and everything else too for that matter.

A Nonny Moose

So, he got to broaden his horizon.  PCs are much more general than consoles and consequently probably harder to write for.  Consider that I am running this on Linux.

Pangaea

Quote from: slink on October 23, 2014, 02:42:14 PM
According to an entry in his blog, he was kind of sorry he ever wrote a game for PCs.  His background was in game machines where the graphics adapters are all identical, and everything else too for that matter.

I got that impression too, reading between the lines. Won't surprise me if his next game is for consoles, to avoid the hassle of PC gaming. I imagine it must be easier to distribute a PC game, though, via GOG, and certain other places... ho-hum ;D

A Nonny Moose

His boat.  He can float it where he wants.  I do not have and will not have a console.

Bobbi

Pangaea

I had a GameBoy as a kid. The one before colours (it had shades of grey, basically). Oh, and the classic Nintendo 8-bit. Those were great fun, actually. These days, though.... meh. I prefer PC gaming instead, and games with usually more complex control functions, that quite simply work better on PCs with a mouse and keyboard. Oh, and I hate all the bloody consolitis that goes on with just about any game nowadays :(

Nilla

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 22, 2014, 12:11:47 PM

So, my suggestion is that the final game should distinguish between logging trees and commodity trees.  An orchard of walnuts or cherries produces a wood that can be sold to furniture makers rather than being used a building logs or firewood.

Yes agree.

We have no black walnuts here in Sweden (not even the normal walnuts survive hier) but I sure know the difference from trees and trees, if you understand what I mean. And I cannot understand, how someone can cut a tree down, because it attracts squirrels. I am so happy when this little guy makes his visits. :)

slink

Tree rats are cute in the abstract, and alright to eat, but can be a nuisance if there are too many.  They dig up bulbs in the garden and eat the fruit.  They chew their way into your attic and then everything else comes in along with them.  They are not nearly as bad as raccoons, though.

However, I would not cut a tree down because it attracted squirrels, or raccoons for that matter.