News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA of Cotton and Cotton Tunics

Started by slink, October 29, 2014, 04:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

For vegans who don't want to go colonial, here is a mod that adds a cotton crop and add cotton tunics to the standard tailor.  Let me know what you think of it.   :)

Mahnogard

Sweet! Testing will commence in... well, however long it takes for the seed merchant to show up and then come back with my seed order.

salamander

Haven't tried it yet, but nice addition.  Someone's been paying attention to others' wishlists.  :)

slink

I know they grow the cotton, harvest it, and make tunics.  I don't know if they wear the tunics, and how they are listed as dressed if they do so.  If necessary I will replace hide coats with cotton tunics.

salamander

I hate wearing smelly hides and wool makes me itch, so the cotton tunics would be nice.  Do you have any idea if this mod could be added to a game already going?  If so, I could add it to the one I have at moment where I'm finally trying out a lot of the mods that have come along so far (I tend to plod along somewhere behind the curve).

If you do replace hide coats with the tunics, it would difficult to clothe folks until you had the cotton seeds or sheep.  Do you think this would make the start of game frustrating?

slink

Yes, that would make the beginning of the game frustrating.  Of course, if you are vegan the beginning of the game is already frustrating.  I agree it would be better to simply have a fourth type of clothing, and it is now.  I just am not sure where the level of "clothing-ness" is set.  I found the strings where they are defined, but not yet where the citizens have the string chosen.

I can't see any reason why you can't add it to an existing game.  Taking it out afterward might be difficult.  It will have a hole in the inventory where the cotton and cotton tunics were.

By the way, I test crops and animals with new colonies, by editing the starting conditions to force the use of the new mods.  It is faster than waiting for a merchant to bring me stuff.

salamander

I'll save a copy in case, but I'll try adding the cotton and see what happens.

Mahnogard

I added it to my current town with no problems. The cotton seeds arrived (thankfully from the General Goods merchant because I was able to offload some of the tons of pork I've amassed) and it's growing now. Should be harvesting soon.

salamander

Looks like @Mahnogard's going to beat me to it.  Even if I got the seeds soon, my town's still pretty small so it might have taken some time before I could grow a good crop of a non-food.  @Mahnogard -- Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Mahnogard

And the results are in!

After the harvest was in, I set my tailor (still have just one in this town) to make Cotton Tunics. While he was getting to work, I had all of the other coats in inventory - hide, wool and warm - moved into RK's Warehouses (tm) so that by the time the calendar year turned over, I had only Cotton Tunics both in production and in stock, and I watched the Town Hall.

Bannies who needed new coats took the Cotton Tunics (why do I keep capitalizing that?) and after 17 were now wearing them (current year "used" stat), my "clothed" stat was still at 100%. As I have less than 200 people in this town, I'd say that's a confirmation that they are wearing them, and it's being counted as clothed.

Win!

salamander

slink

Hurrah!  Thanks for the testing.   ;D

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Mahnogard

You're welcome! :) And just for good measure, there are now 52 people wearing them, it's the dead of winter and no one is freezing. I call that the "snowflake test". :D

Now I need to sort out which warehouses I put the other coats in. I've been having a bit of a storage problem, partially due to hog yields. I don't think they are exactly off, because compared to the other animals it makes sense - I mean compared to cows, for example, pigs multiply a lot faster due to having litters so it makes sense that there would be more to slaughter each year. But the end result is that I have pork everywhere. It has replaced firewood as my trading staple, made the General Goods merchant my best friend. I should probably have build a smaller pasture. I don't have the exact yield numbers handy, because I cut that pasture back to one farmer while my other animals have two, I'm using odd sized pastures, and I'd have to do a better controlled test to get comparative yields.

@RedKetchup - if you've seen lettuce, you've seen cotton. :D She used the lettuce mod resources for the cotton. But I'll try to get a screenshot next season showing the harvest bucket.

slink

Here's the harvest.  The model is not lettuce, but the texture is.