News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Luxury Goods

Started by JamieIdle2.0, November 10, 2014, 10:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieIdle2.0

Let me preface this thread with a few notes.

-I like a certain degree of realism in my games whenever possible.
-I also have certain ideas about what that means for Banished.
-There aren't a lot of details on the Banished setting, but some of these can be inferred based on what was added to the game.

Based on the Vanilla Trees, Crops, and Orchards it seems pretty clear that Banished's climate is temperate and similar to Northern Europe and New England.

Some examples of modded crops or trees that wont grow well if at all in a temperate climate are sugar cane and even cotton. Some things that haven't been added like various spices also prefer tropical and sub-tropical climates.

Some minable goods would also seem out of place if added to the regular Mines. Imagine if you could just pick whether iron, coal, gold, silver, salt, jewels, etc were mined from the exact same spot. Being able to mine iron and coal anywhere on the map there is a hill is bad enough already add the others and it becomes silly.

So what I am considering is that instead of adding the ability to produce these items add them as luxury trade goods that can be used in production chains by other mods. Of course this means that the mod menu will throw up red flags, but not create real conflicts.

Some ideas for luxury goods only brought by traders are:
-Gems
-Gold
-Silver

-Salt
-Sugar
-Spices

-Silk
-Cotton
-Dyes

rkelly17

@JamieIdle2.0, I think that the major question to answer is, "Why?" What exactly would be the point of the citizens trading for luxury items? What would they do with them? Would they add to happiness? Would they add to health? Given the inaccessible mechanics of the game, I'm not sure one could cause luxury items to add to the game anything that is not already there. I can already get my citizens to maximum health and happiness without spending a dime at a TP, so what would be the motivation to spend hard-earned firewood or whatever on a luxury item that I can do without?

That being said, if anyone has fun buying gold and gemstones, I'll not get in their way. Maybe you could add a jeweler who requires gold and gemstones to make jewelery.