News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla´s Doolin - it´s all about the speed

Started by Nilla, November 22, 2014, 02:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

In my uneducated settlement Jupitero, I noticed that these uneducated people do reproduce very fast. I had to struggle to keep the populationgrowth down.

In this new settlement I will do the opposite, try to find out how fast you can develop it. I know, this will not be a sustainable town. I will go on until the inevitable crash comes. How soon? No idea. 300?, 500? 1000? more?

Perhaps we can make a quiz. In which year, at what population comes the crash? What do you think guys? Any guesses?

I´ll go first : goal 1000 people in 25 years.  :-\

These are the settings. This time a medium map.

(something completely different; English is a weird language, why on earth do you say inevitable but unavoidable, had to check it up as the spellcheck didn't like my "unevitable")

irrelevant

I assume they're going to be uneducated again? Cause otherwise I think you would never crash!

Don't forget "irreducible," "abnormal," "disinterested," "impossible," "nonessential," "illogical," "misunderstood," "deactivated," and "apolitical!" ;) Which negative prefix to use normally depends mainly on the language of origin of the root word.

And don't even think about flammable, inflammable, and nonflammable. :o

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on November 22, 2014, 04:11:50 AM
I assume they're going to be uneducated again? Cause otherwise I think you would never crash!

Don't forget "irreducible," "abnormal," "disinterested," "impossible," "nonessential," "illogical," "misunderstood," "deactivated," and "apolitical!" ;) Which negative prefix to use normally depends mainly on the language of origin of the root word.

And don't even think about flammable, inflammable, and nonflammable. :o

Oh, please don't confuse me more  :-\ :o. Language has always been my problem. I am more the "math-person".

Yes, of cause uneducated, S P E E D and that means babies, babies, babies! No time for school!

Started the game yesterday

First picture:
That's the way! Husband and wife, both 10! .......... sick?...... yes!..... but I haven't seen any babies, until the mother reach the mature age of 12.
I will use the "slum houses" from @slink. I think you said @slink, that there can only be 4 persons in these houses. But I expect my kids to move out with 10, so I don't think it will slow the growth much. But no stones needed, that´s the thing!

Second picture
Has anyone seen this before? No one wants to harvest those beans. The "original" farmer Lymani, lives next to the field. As the wheat on the neighborfield was done, I told his wife to help. As she didn't, I even assigned a third person to that field. Still nothing! I changed the crop to wheat. Went well for a couple of years, than the same again. No one wanted to harvest. This time Elmirandace (Mrs Lymani) was the assigned farmer, still living next door. I gave it up and made a graveyard out of it. I wonder if there will be any graves there?  :-\ :o

Third picture
I do want them to found families early, but isn't that a bit too early?  :-\ There will be a farm area around that market, if anyone wants to know. By the way i have passed 100 people, in the early summer of year 8.

Fourth picture
I even made 200 before I stopped, early autumn 11.

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on November 22, 2014, 02:44:23 AM
(something completely different; English is a weird language, why on earth do you say inevitable but unavoidable, had to check it up as the spellcheck didn't like my "unevitable")

In many years of trying to help international students study history and theology in English (each of which has its own unique vocabulary), the answer that seems to work best is: Because that is the way it is. Don't try to understand it--that is just confusing. Seriously, part of the complication of English is that is a hybrid of German, French and Latin. It uses words and rules from all three in a hodge-podge. It also reflects the social structure of Medieval England. The "crude" words and for words for peasant things are mostly from Anglo-Saxon (Low German dialect), the "polite" and gentry words are mostly from Norman French and the scientific, bureaucratic words are from Latin.

Nilla

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 22, 2014, 08:01:26 AM
Quote from: Nilla on November 22, 2014, 02:44:23 AM

In many years of trying to help international students study history and theology in English (each of which has its own unique vocabulary), the answer that seems to work best is: Because that is the way it is. Don't try to understand it--that is just confusing.

:D ;D I know that answer! We are a bilingual family (Swedish/German) and that is the answer, I normally give my German husband as he asks the same question (also got it from him as I learned German) If you are interested in language, you might also have noticed that my grammatical errors in English, often would have been right.... in German. :(   (I notice it sometimes myself, if I read my entries again) :-[

To my game. This is stressful. I think I will start a new slow long lasting one, (@irrelevant kind of game) and change between the two extremes.

300 people in early spring 14
400 people in winter 15, without even notice
phu

irrelevant

You're growing this town blazingly fast! :o Very impressive.

Nilla

It's insane.
Nothing to play over hours. At least not for an old lady.

Just got a delivery of 500 tools. Thanks for that. Luckily the differens between with and without tools is not that big whit uneducated workers  ;D

500 population early spring 17. 

salamander

Insane is the right word.  ;)  I still don't see how you're able to do this.  Every time I've tried for rapid growth, I end up crashing after a few years ... probably not enough planning or attention to detail on my part.  Like @irrelevant said, impressive.

You've inspired me to give it another try, though.  I'm currently in year 39 with a pop of 88/18/28 (please don't laugh too hard).  I'm going to see if I can get the growth to really take off over the next few years.

Nilla

Quote from: salamander on November 23, 2014, 05:54:48 AM
Insane is the right word.  ;)  I still don't see how you're able to do this.  Every time I've tried for rapid growth, I end up crashing after a few years ... probably not enough planning or attention to detail on my part.  Like @irrelevant said, impressive.

You've inspired me to give it another try, though.  I'm currently in year 39 with a pop of 88/18/28 (please don't laugh too hard).  I'm going to see if I can get the growth to really take off over the next few years.

Why don't you blog your settlement?
I like very much to see how other people do and think and use different things and.... and.... and.....
And no worries, I will not laugh. (Unless there are some funny things, as it always is in Banished, if you watch it carefully)

One more thing; I hope I will not forget the spellcheck again. There are some mistakes in my latest entry, that even I can see. Shame on me.  :-[

Nilla

I did as I said; started a new game.........or rather...... the same game once more.

Same map, same mods, same settings, except one thing: A hard start.

This time, all will be educated. There will be a slow and steady growth. I will switch between the two versions of the game, one cool, fast and exciting and one slow, calm and relaxing.  I hope it will not be too confusing.

I will try to make a "self-runner" of this one. Haven't decided, how big, I will let it grow. It will probably depend on how long, I play the first version.

Pic1
The game starts with a good sign. First baby born is  named Emmie, the second name of my daughter (this child is a boy (!) but who cares :) )

Pic 2
I have found a new idling place, never noticed this before. Especially children idling there a lot. I suppose they want something sweet. (I just notice; Mere is the child who is idling at the apiary on the picture, she later married my Emmie, I keep a special eye on him)

Pic 3
I have a massive gender unbalance, 11 single males, 4 females. Audio finally found someone. (Is there also a Video?)

Pic 4
Year 14, Nya Doolin has 50 inhabitants. Doolin had 300 at the same time  ;D :P :-\ ::)

irrelevant

Well, this will be fun, two different towns on the same map. I look forward to seeing your development of both.

The baker undoubtedly has a happiness circle, I think @RedKetchup gave lots of his stuff happiness circles. ;D He's a clever guy. ;)

It's an imbalance. :D Englisch, go figure. And I have had that many times, although mine usually are too many females. Too many males is not so bad, as they can eventually hook up with much younger females, and still have three children. Other way around, not so good.

I've had several Audios, never noticed a Video. :( ;)

Nilla

I went on with the fast Doolin for a while this morning. It is a crazy game.

500 inhabitants - early spring 17
600 inhabitants - late spring 18
700 inhabitants - early spring 19

I must confess something; I said in my first thread, I want to try to make 1000 people in 25 years. It was to that time a really unrealistic figure, what I thought never would be possible to make. Made it as some kind of a provocation, to see if anyone dared to say anything. Nothing came. I cannot say, if it was because no one read my long blogs,  if you are too polite and nice to say something or if you all had a much better sens of the possibilities of the game, than I had. In any case I will probably reach the 1000 population faster than that. With some nomads (just had some once early in the game, so it should be time soon) it could even happen in year 20!!!!!!! I don't think the game will crash so soon. I am short of something almost all the time, but so far it is possible to manage the crises.

This morning I played in 1X speed. Never do that in other games. Soon I suppose I even have to stop the game from time to time to plan and build things,  ;D :-\ As I said crazy!

Thank you @irrelevant for correcting my English. I appreciate if you do, specially if I make the same mistake more than once. Maybe I will learn, eventually. ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on November 23, 2014, 06:44:08 PM
And I have had that many times, although mine usually are too many females. Too many males is not so bad, as they can eventually hook up with much younger females, and still have three children. Other way around, not so good.

I had a pro-female imbalance the other day and 20-year old female graduates were hooking up with 12-year old male students. The difference is that female graduates paired with male students start having babies immediately and female students don't start having babies until they graduate.

salamander

Quote from: Nilla on November 24, 2014, 08:07:11 AM

I must confess something; I said in my first thread, I want to try to make 1000 people in 25 years. It was to that time a really unrealistic figure, what I thought never would be possible to make. Made it as some kind of a provocation, to see if anyone dared to say anything. Nothing came. I cannot say, if it was because no one read my long blogs,  if you are too polite and nice to say something or if you all had a much better sens of the possibilities of the game, than I had. In any case I will probably reach the 1000 population faster than that.
@Nilla -- Your rate of growth is impressive whether you reach 1000 by 25 years or not.  I think you've already seen that your rate of pop increase is going to continue increasing over time, and I'd be a little surprised if you don't see 1000 well before your 25th year.  I still don't really understand how you manage it, but it's nice to see all the same.

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on November 24, 2014, 10:06:29 AM
Quote from: Nilla on November 24, 2014, 08:07:11 AM

I must confess something; I said in my first thread, I want to try to make 1000 people in 25 years. It was to that time a really unrealistic figure, what I thought never would be possible to make. Made it as some kind of a provocation, to see if anyone dared to say anything. Nothing came. I cannot say, if it was because no one read my long blogs,  if you are too polite and nice to say something or if you all had a much better sens of the possibilities of the game, than I had. In any case I will probably reach the 1000 population faster than that.
@Nilla -- Your rate of growth is impressive whether you reach 1000 by 25 years or not.  I think you've already seen that your rate of pop increase is going to continue increasing over time, and I'd be a little surprised if you don't see 1000 well before your 25th year.  I still don't really understand how you manage it, but it's nice to see all the same.

Yes, I would say that if you can keep them fed and housed (for population growth) 1000 by Year 25 seems well within reach.