News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on January 03, 2015, 05:50:48 PM
Quarry is at 98% and I've taken 30 stone, therefore quarry capacity is halved with uneducated workers; total output will be 1500 stone rather than 3000. Presumably mines will be the same story.

:(
Another argument against quarries. These accidental deaths is another one.

I was always a bit surprised at the beginning. There was so much complain about these death marches. And yes, some people were starving all the time in larger settlements. But if you played a bit careful in remote areas, there were not more starvation deaths than accidents in mines and quarries.

irrelevant

Early Spring 26

Village One area - original forest node is gone, turning into peach orchards and farms. Really need to start upgrading houses now that I finally have a stock of stone and iron. The hunter there center right in the midst of orchards and farms is still bagging five deer per year, year in and year out, with just the one hunter.

Hunting cabins are awesome resource providers. I have 5 cabins that produce 3000-4000 venison and 75-100 leather every year, with 5 uneducated hunters. There is no other producer that can compare to this; placement is the key, watch the herds, they do the same thing over and over on maybe a one year? two-year? cycle. Takes a lot of development before they change.

Village Two - four forest nodes and, finally, sheep. That took forever. Upper left is future Fourth Settlement.

Village Three - for now just a forest node, the next market and TP will be here.

Death Valley - mines and quarries, inactive for now. Will be re-activated in the future just to get the Mason and Miner achievements.

Quote from: Nilla on January 04, 2015, 05:45:30 AM
I was always a bit surprised at the beginning. There was so much complain about these death marches. And yes, some people were starving all the time in larger settlements. But if you played a bit careful in remote areas, there were not more starvation deaths than accidents in mines and quarries.

@Nilla  Reading on the Reddit sub (and the Steam forum, don't even get me started on that), lots of folks just aren't at all careful or systematic about how they build their towns. They send their guys out helter-skelter and build all over the map, then complain that the AI is bugged cause all their guys are starving. ::)

Nilla

You´re an expert on hunting lodges. I never have 5 deer in a year for one hunter. Not even on what I find "perfect locations" with several flocks of deer in the hunting area. But I have noticed too, that hunters still find animals even if most of the area is used for other things.

suzuki

Thanks for all your village blogs. 8)

I really like Banished and just recently started playing.

Seems like this website is not-so-active anymore, but your blogs especially, and Nilla's are great read and educational.

You're approach on setup the entire town and just pause all the buildings I found interesting. However this locks resources I think.

I've tried both slow games and fast games now. Up to 400-500 at my top game. (Slow games 1x 2x speed, fast 5x 10x speed)

Slow games are kind of slow, when you've done fast games for a while, but I have now started a slow one and I feel I have better control this way.

Keep it up! :)

irrelevant

@suzuki Thanks very much for your comment. I've been using the plan-and-pause method for some time, ever since I stole it from @RedKetchup's blog of his pop 5000 town. ;)

It does not lock up resources, unless you should happen to delay pausing the construction. In that case your laborers may already be tasked with bringing in the consruction mats. Once that happens, the only thing that can stop them is to demolish, which is truly a last resort as you lose half of what has already been placed.

I want to point out that I always pause the game when I am placing new structures. That way I can be sure to get the structures paused before anyone is tasked with bringing in construction mats. In this case a structure can sit paused for years and no construction mats will ever be brought until you unpause.

There are two disadvantages to laying down structures and pausing them for long periods:
1) The trees in the footprint will eventually die, and you will get no logs from them.
2) Your foresters will be unable to plant new trees in the footprint.

Just things to consider.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on January 09, 2015, 07:40:23 AM
You´re an expert on hunting lodges. I never have 5 deer in a year for one hunter. Not even on what I find "perfect locations" with several flocks of deer in the hunting area. But I have noticed too, that hunters still find animals even if most of the area is used for other things.
Yes, people have the misconception that hunting cabins need to be in the forest. They can be anywhere. They are underutilized I think.

irrelevant

Year 32 - pop 281

Concentrating on slow steady expansion, mainly of forest nodes and hunters. Still just three markets, three TPs. Main trade goods are ale, venison/mutton, firewood. Some coats, and iron tools for steel tools (at a loss in TV, but even so it's the best way to get them).

Village One

Village Two

Village Three

Future Village Four

Future Village Five

Nilla

It looks really good. What is your strategy for the number of new houses?

Seems like you use the TP for stocking. A good thing if you don't want to build so many barns. ;)

It looks like the nomads are going away. Suppose you will not take any.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on January 17, 2015, 04:38:41 AM
It looks really good. What is your strategy for the number of new houses?

Seems like you use the TP for stocking. A good thing if you don't want to build so many barns. ;)

It looks like the nomads are going away. Suppose you will not take any.
So far I'm just adding houses as I need them for workers in new areas. I have no systematic plan for adding certain numbers of houses per year though. Just going to go slow.

I'm keeping my peaches banked in the TPs, rather than releasing them into circulation all at once.

You are correct, the nomads are leaving. No nomads in this town. Perhaps I shall accept some when I get to the point where I am ready to get the Miners and Masons achievements. Those will be the last two though, I'm thinking.

irrelevant

Uneducated!  ;)

Technically, I could start building schools now. But I'm not going to, it's too interesting without them.  :)

Of course at some point I'll have to, in order to get Builder. I just won't hire a teacher.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Mmdrgtobldrgn

~ Mama Dragon
Mother, Grandmother, Gamer, always Myself

irrelevant

I like having lots of laborers.  ;)

If this wasn't an uneducated town, there would be like 50-60 students instead.

irrelevant

Year 35

Village Four on the left, with planned development. About time for another swath of farms here somewhere. Village Two on the right.

Third planned forest node at Village Three.

This Village Three hunter bagged 6 deer last year, a single hunter. Deer (9 hunting cabins), sheep, and ale are carrying this uneducated town.