News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

seems you've got an iron crisis which triggered a tool crisis which triggered a firewood crisis lol
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on December 08, 2017, 04:30:43 PM
Now I see what caused this. In order to squeak in under the bottom of the pop curve, I had cut down the numbers of vendors at my 33 markets/farm stands some 200 years ago. Every market has just a couple too few vendors, which compounded over a couple of centuries resulted in producers and homeowners having to make longer and longer shopping trips to keep their homes and businesses adequately supplied.

Markets varying from 5% to 50% of capacity. Added 72 vendors (about 30%).

This has never happened to me before, very interesting.

Really? Wasn´t it rather like Red says; an iron crisis? You didn´t order enough iron, to produce enough tools, and we all know how bad tool less people work. Of cause, too few vendors set the productivity down but tool less people a lot more.

irrelevant

@Nilla I think so; that's the only thing that can explain running out of ale in the TPs. I had 250k peaches in storage, but ale production had fallen to about 10k/year (down from ~21k), and there was only 7000 ale total in the TPs, which should have had 36,000. The brewers were doing something other than brewing with their time.

It reached a point where two things happened: there was so little ale in the TPs that firewood started getting traded away at a much higher rate, and there was no longer enough trade value in the TPs to buy sufficient logs to support the firewood production. I had fruit as the first item in the auto-purchase list, then logs. Ultimately fruit was the only thing getting bought.

Yes, having no tools played a part in that, but I was running out of tools before firewood inventory took its nose dive.

irrelevant

Hm. Maybe they were looking for firewood. Maybe everyone was looking for firewood.

irrelevant

So two years of manual trading later I've got 38,600 firewood on the map, compared with 21,000 when I discovered the crisis. Going to be a long way back to the 134,000 that I had in happier times. :o

I saw I still had 25 wooden houses, gradually upgrading those to stone during the winter months. 

RedKetchup

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on December 09, 2017, 06:09:36 PM
@Nilla I think so; that's the only thing that can explain running out of ale in the TPs. I had 250k peaches in storage, but ale production had fallen to about 10k/year (down from ~21k), and there was only 7000 ale total in the TPs, which should have had 36,000. The brewers were doing something other than brewing with their time.

It reached a point where two things happened: there was so little ale in the TPs that firewood started getting traded away at a much higher rate, and there was no longer enough trade value in the TPs to buy sufficient logs to support the firewood production. I had fruit as the first item in the auto-purchase list, then logs. Ultimately fruit was the only thing getting bought.

Yes, having no tools played a part in that, but I was running out of tools before firewood inventory took its nose dive.

Of cause it's hard to estimate what initiated the crisis. But you say it yourself; you ran out of tools before you ran out of firewood. So the low firewood production came because of tool less choppers. Was it the same with the brewers? Tool- less brewers will not produce much. Or was it, like you suggest, that you couldn't buy enough iron because the brewers didn't produce enough, because they have to walk too far to get fruit. I guess it will be impossible to figure out, unless you try to reproduce the trouble. Maybe first fix everything to work fine. Then take away vendors and see what happens.

As far as I remember; what's first on the auto purchase list, doesn't matter. If you can't buy everything, it's pretty random what you get.

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on December 10, 2017, 12:08:00 PMstone / wood housing : very big difference
Indeed, but only 3% of my houses were wood, all the rest stone.

Quote from: Nilla on December 10, 2017, 12:20:50 PMOf cause it's hard to estimate what initiated the crisis. But you say it yourself; you ran out of tools before you ran out of firewood. So the low firewood production came because of tool less choppers. Was it the same with the brewers? Tool- less brewers will not produce much. Or was it, like you suggest, that you couldn't buy enough iron because the brewers didn't produce enough, because they have to walk too far to get fruit. I guess it will be impossible to figure out, unless you try to reproduce the trouble. Maybe first fix everything to work fine. Then take away vendors and see what happens.
We'll see; sounds like more work than I want to do. ;) Most likely it was just one more cascade of compounding failures, probably started by running out of tools as you say.

I wasn't aware that brewers were heavily dependent on tools.

Quote from: Nilla on December 10, 2017, 12:20:50 PMAs far as I remember; what's first on the auto purchase list, doesn't matter. If you can't buy everything, it's pretty random what you get.
Supposedly the order in which you have arranged the purchases, is they order in which the purchases are executed. If that isn't the case, I've certainly been wasting a lot of time clicking those stupid little arrows up and down!

irrelevant

Just saw something very odd. An outbreak of scarlet fever started with a brewer who was on his way to get something to eat. But when I checked where his home was, I saw he was headed in the opposite direction. He walked all the way to the other side of the map and finally stopped at some seemingly random house for his meal. Now he is on his way all the way back to where he was when he became ill (of course spreading disease in his wake) to go to the hospital near his home. He'll probably get well before he gets there.

brads3

LOL. i had 1 earluier walk way out in the forest where nothing was. took a leak and walked back to town and went home to eat. weird bannies.

Nilla

QuoteSupposedly the order in which you have arranged the purchases, is they order in which the purchases are executed. If that isn't the case, I've certainly been wasting a lot of time clicking those stupid little arrows up and down!

You're right. I'm sorry. I mixed things up. It's the things you sell, that's random. What you get, follows the order list, as far as I remember.

irrelevant

Year 2906

Finally! Got inventories back under control and have got auto-purchase going again. Going to let it run overnight. I hope it still remembers how.

When I get to Year 3000 I'm going to quit. I mean it this time!  ;)

RedKetchup

brads3

glad to see you are still around and playing. did you say 5000?

irrelevant

Quote from: brads3 on March 08, 2018, 10:32:51 PM
glad to see you are still around and playing. did you say 5000?
No, I did NOT!  ;D

Year 2945

Ran 36 years in 19 unattended hours, a bit under 2 years/hour. Pretty bad for 10x. GP is rather painful to run any way other than unattended.   

This last pop cycle featured a high peak and a deep trough that resulted in die-offs of professionals. I don't suppose I'll ever get that problem licked, as close as I am to Y3K.

Showing the losses on the Professions Panel, plus most of the interesting Town Hall panels showing how much fun (NOT) the recovery from the iron/tool/ale/firewood crisis has been.