News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Year 37 - Everything running pretty smoothly, nice surpluses of food, tools, and clothing.

Village 1 - pretty much mature, except there will be a chapel replacing the field near the cemetery for the builder achievement.

Village 2 - also mature, but farms and pastures eventually will replace the forest node just to the west.

Village 3 -  also needs a farming grid

Village 4 - nearing completion, with forest node under development.

Village 5 - just being developed, market under way with producers and TP to follow. Also forest nodes to be place on the periphery (needs a bridge or two).

irrelevant

Year 41 - been running on 10x, that's different; feels like driving a bit too fast for the road conditions!

Villages 1-5, future village 6 - the market will go around where the forester is now, with a TP on the river and a fisher or two on the lake.

Wanted to get them with crops in the fields, so much prettier than snow.

Probly just this one more village to build, the rest will be filling in farms and pushing out with forest nodes.

All I need now for Builder is a mine, a hostel, and a school. For Jack of all Trades, I'll need a teacher as well, I'll have to think about how to do that. I suppose that should be the last thing; I'd like to get Tenure with 100% uneducated, just because. ;)

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on January 26, 2015, 07:57:08 PM

All I need now for Builder is a mine, a hostel, and a school. For Jack of all Trades, I'll need a teacher as well, I'll have to think about how to do that. I suppose that should be the last thing; I'd like to get Tenure with 100% uneducated, just because. ;)

That will be no problem, as far as I can see. The students will not be educated before they leave school and that takes some years. So I don't think that a few of them a few years in school will change the 100% uneducated. You don´t even have to demolish the school, just take the teacher away.

rkelly17

For Jack of all Trades, I'll need a teacher as well, I'll have to think about how to do that. I suppose that should be the last thing; I'd like to get Tenure with 100% uneducated, just because. ;)

Remember that length of schooling is dependent on time of travel. If you put your school far from housing everyone will take a long, long time to graduate. You may be able to get the achievement and fire the teacher before anyone graduates.

Year 41 - been running on 10x, that's different; feels like driving a bit too fast for the road conditions!

Embrace the adventure!  ;D

Seriously, I play at 10X most of the time (pause to think and plan, 1X during epidemic) because I'm so impatient. I need to learn to relax and smell the pine trees.

irrelevant

Year 45

Villages Two and Four; new farms.

Village Five, fully developed and ready for farms.

Villages One and Three.

Experimenting with auto-purchasing, have not used in months, going to give it another shot. If I'm to make it to 200 years without losing it, I will need to do this. Trading is so tedious. First couple of years, okay.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on January 28, 2015, 01:20:00 AM

That will be no problem, as far as I can see. The students will not be educated before they leave school and that takes some years. So I don't think that a few of them a few years in school will change the 100% uneducated. You don´t even have to demolish the school, just take the teacher away.

@Nilla  You get the Jack of All Trades achievement if you have someone working in every trade for five years. The school/teacher will take some thought.

Quote from: rkelly17 on January 28, 2015, 12:56:01 PM
For Jack of all Trades, I'll need a teacher as well, I'll have to think about how to do that. I suppose that should be the last thing; I'd like to get Tenure with 100% uneducated, just because. ;)

Remember that length of schooling is dependent on time of travel. If you put your school far from housing everyone will take a long, long time to graduate. You may be able to get the achievement and fire the teacher before anyone graduates.

@rkelly17 , Great idea, this is probably the solution.

Nilla

Sorry, I forgot the 5 years. That means 20 Banished years and students graduating with 30, so you have to build the school very far away if you try the idea of @rkelly17 . Maybe it is possible, maybe not. Hope you try it and tell how it works.

If this doesn't work, maybe you could try to build the school on one side of a stream (maybe also one teacherhouse with a teacher too old to have children and a barn/market so the teacher doesn't starve/freeze) than demolish the bridge.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on January 29, 2015, 06:42:07 AM
maybe you could try to build the school on one side of a stream (maybe also one teacherhouse with a teacher too old to have children and a barn/market so the teacher doesn't starve/freeze) than demolish the bridge.
@Nilla that's a great idea!

rkelly17

Sorry, I forgot the 5 years. That means 20 Banished years and students graduating with 30, so you have to build the school very far away if you try the idea of @rkelly17 . Maybe it is possible, maybe not. Hope you try it and tell how it works.

If this doesn't work, maybe you could try to build the school on one side of a stream (maybe also one teacherhouse with a teacher too old to have children and a barn/market so the teacher doesn't starve/freeze) than demolish the bridge.

This is a devilish idea.  ;D  In my very limited (once or twice) experience when you cut the bridge the person on the "wrong" side goes homeless--even when there is a house--but with a house and a stocked barn it might work.

Of course, another option is get Tenure uneducated, then build a school and run it for five years to get Jack of All Trades. I'm assuming, though, that you want something a bit more flamboyant than that.  ;D

irrelevant

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on January 29, 2015, 09:03:18 AM

This is a devilish idea.  ;D  In my very limited (once or twice) experience when you cut the bridge the person on the "wrong" side goes homeless--even when there is a house--but with a house and a stocked barn it might work.

Of course, another option is get Tenure uneducated, then build a school and run it for five years to get Jack of All Trades. I'm assuming, though, that you want something a bit more flamboyant than that.  ;D

@rkelly17 Flamboyant doesn't really matter--well, maybe just a little bit ;) ;D

Nilla

The last picture isn´t very flamboyant (had to look for translation of that word).

It looks very much like something built by @irrelevant. ;)
Nice, neat, many barns. :D ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on February 04, 2015, 03:25:13 AM
The last picture isn´t very flamboyant (had to look for translation of that word).

And now that you have looked it up, I hope you will use it often. I seem to remember that you are Swedish? Is there an equivalent word? I know a fair number of people of Scandinavian heritage here in Canada and in the US (I taught in a Lutheran seminary for 30 years) and only a few try to be flamboyant. My German ancestors would try it occasionally; my Irish ancestors lived it out every day. Personally I aim for "eccentric."  Definition of an eccentric: Crazy person with either (a) a lot of money, or (b) a Ph. D.

Quote from: Nilla on February 04, 2015, 03:25:13 AM
It looks very much like something built by @irrelevant. ;)
Nice, neat, many barns. :D ;)

Maybe "flamboyant" isn't quite the right word, though anyone who holds the record for most nomads accepted is certainly in the running to be declared "flamboyant" even if he does have lots of barns.  ;D

irrelevant

You just can't have too many barns, it's impossible. :D

Early Summer 52 - Village Six started

Forest operations near Village Five

Nilla

This is what I got as I looked for flamboyant (sounds like a French word originally)

"(of a person or their behavior) tending to attract attention because of their exuberance, confidence, and stylishness.
"a flamboyant display of aerobatics"
synonymer: exuberant, confident, lively, animated, vibrant, vivacious
of or denoting a style of French Gothic architecture marked by wavy flamelike tracery and ornate decoration.
"To house his accumulation of art and curiosities he bought the hôtel of the abbots of Cluny that had been built in the flamboyant Gothic style around 1500."
synonymer: elaborate, ornate, fancy, baroque, rococo"

and 8 (!) slightly different Swedish translations. :)

@rkelly17 Yes I am Swedish and my husband is German and I have lived many years in Germany. From my point of view we Swedes are more flmboyant then the Germans. But we are a small country, with only a few people, so maybe abroad we try adapt ourselves to the customs of the country we are visiting.