News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla- Oberlea a fast game without education and mods

Started by Nilla, January 05, 2015, 06:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Yes. I was inspired* by @irrelevant. I did start a new game. I am not sure how long I will play it. I have no special goal, at least not yet. I will play as long as it is a challenge or rather as long as it makes fun. But if you have played this game as much as I have; it is somehow the same thing.

I will play uneducated and unmodded on a big map and develop the settlement fast. Not stupidly fast, but as fast as can, still feeling comfortable. I plan a mix of farming and trade. Don´t know yet how efficient the trade can be. I had a lot of farming in that fast game with all the mods. With uneducated farmers, there will be a lot of farms, but at least the productivity is OK, 5/7 (about 70%) of the educated worker.

I seldom put much effort in choosing a map. I find it difficult to know if one is better than another. This time I did try 3 maps before I found one I wanted to play.  I didn´t like the starting positions at the first two. The first; too far from the river. The second ; directly by the river but no suitable space for foresters close. How do you choose maps? Do you look a long time for big flat space (or something else)?

Anyhow I liked the starting position on the third map; close enough to the river, room for several trading ports, a big flat area with a lot of stones, even one grain and one vegetable to start with.

First picture, year 2 shows the starting position (sorry forgot the little map, it´s on the next picture)
I will start to build trading ports early. I know there will not arrive much trading goods at the beginning, but at least I can order what I need . The only thing I plan in advance are the bridges with room for trading ports in between.

Second picture: year 7 shows the development and planning!  ;D
I have actually planned my first small industrial area and my first small farming area in advance. At the beginning I will grow some chestnuts for protein, because I have no good spots for fishing huts and I want to sell my venison. The trade has priority.

*inspired=nice word for stealing someones idea  ;) :-[

irrelevant

Looking forward to seeing how you approach this @Nilla

Since I have stolen several of your ideas, it seems only fair that you would be "inspired" by one of mine!  ;)

I find that my best trade good so far in my uneducated town is venison. Hunting cabins are cheap, and need just one worker, and don't interfere with other production; as a result I have tons of the stuff.

As you say, venison for nuts is great, triple your protein, but it is good for iron, stone, and wool as well.

Nilla

I have played a few more years. No change of strategy. No real problem.

I build "forest nodes" close to the river. Later in the game the forests will be converted to industrial areas, if my idea of trade with ale as main product works. Right and left from the forest areas, there will be a lot of farming.

I had some deliveries of apples, so I have started to produce some ale. The production is still humble, but the population will soon be enough for the big boats and then I plan to increase it as much as I can.  I also order stone, iron and steel tools. I will not build more than these two blacksmiths. I have bought some sheep, so there will be some wool. Maybe I have to buy some more wool later, we'll see. I suppose that I also have to buy logs and some protein.

First picture: Industrial area. I will now expand on the other side of the river. You can see what I sell; firewood, venison (main trading goods), mushrooms (save space in my few barns) and some ale (future main trading goods, I hope).

Second picture:  Farming area. I micromanage the farming; I often start the harvest manually at about 95%. If one field is harvested early, I close the field and the farmer will work on another field/orchard close by. It would be even better if I could buy bean seeds. The pumpkins are generally later harvested than corn.

Nilla

I have played a few more years. Not much to tell. No change in strategy. No problems. I even have enough buildingmaterials. :)

Nilla

I haven't much to tell about this game. It's not dull, not at all! It's still going well. I haven't changed strategy.

I build a few breweries and 5-10 fields each years. I have 6 trading ports and will not build more, until I can buy a full boat load. It will take some time. The ale production isn't high; not much more than 200 for each plant. So it will not be so easy to support a larger population with fruit and proteins with trade, as it is with educated workers. We'll see how long it will work.

I build new houses in areas where I establish new workplaces. I build stonehouses now, but I haven't upgraded the initial houses. Why? Most of the time I have enough buildingmaterial to build stonehouses, but sometimes I run out of something, mostly stones, but I also have had too little wood and iron. So there were simply no buildingmaterials left to upgrade the houses.

As I said from the start, I will try to build fast, and I do. It would probably be wise to be a bit more careful, not build so many houses, but being fast, is a part of this experiment.

Pic1
Trading area

Pic2
New area north and population graph. Is the growth too fast?

Pic3
Latest farming area. I still have only one farmer on most fields and micromanage at harvest.

Pic4
The barns were full in this area. I will not demolish them, just a trick to have empty barns next harvest.

Nilla

We had a real bad storm here last week. No telephone, no internet for almost a week. But now we are back online.
The electricity wasn't gone this time, so I could go on with this game. I played it to the bitter end. Yes, the end was bitter, or maybe not. It was an experiment and I didn't really expect it to work this way.

I am not sure that it is possible to build a really large settlement with uneducated people, but if you want to try, I recommend to let it grow real, real slow. This was too fast. That was the main mistake.

I'll show you what happened and how it went wrong with a couple of pictures.

First picture year 28
There is  no lack of food or other supply. But I have one basic problem: It is hard to produce enough goods to sell. I can only afford to buy a small part of the boatloads. That's an "evil circle": not enough ale to buy enough apples to "flood the place" => the productivity of the breweries is low => there isn't enough ale to buy enough apples.........................

Second picture year 29
I buy buildingmaterials, tools, apples and some nuts. As I said; I have too little goods (ale, meat some wood and mushrooms) to bye all I want. To improve this, my strategy is to increase the aleproduction as much as I can. That means I buy much apples and there isn't much goods left to buy other things. Here I run out of iron. I buy most of the tools but my 2 toolmakers start to produce if the tools are getting low (limit =population) but no iron means no toolproduction.

Third picture year 30
Expected picture. The early frost doesn't make things better.

to be continued

Nilla

Fourth picture year 31
Finally the merchant brings some tools. 490 tool-less workers of 726, that's almost 70%. Maybe a new record. You can see, I don't have much to sell.

Fifth picture year 33
Not a very encouraging graph. The picture shows my second problem, the second "evil circle". The population grows fast=> I need more food=> I need new fields. There is still plenty of room, so there is no big problem to make the fields, but if I make fields in a new area, the farmers must live close => I have to build new houses => the population grows even more => I need more food.................

Fourth picture year 34
My first starvation death. It's summer and the harvest has just started, so I will probably survive another year or so, but I'll stop it now. Makes no sense to go on; 1261 people in 34 years. That's enough.

Maybe I will make another try with an uneducated, unmodded game and try to see if i can build a large settlement. In fact I have started a new game. I don't know yet, if I will play it long, if there will be anything to blog about. But I know one thing; It will be a slow game, a slow development, big stores, many full barns, much goods in the trading ports........

irrelevant

@Nilla looks like the fast pop growth needed to rapidly expand production carries with it the seeds of its own destruction. Lack of education just hampers everything. My uneducated town in year 29 is at pop 244.

I think that with uneducated, ale, venison, and firewood is the way to go, with just enough tool and coat production to insure a reliable surplus of tools and to allow you to keep 50 or so of both wool and hide coats in each TP, in case something really juicy comes along that you simply must buy. Also, I keep 50-100 iron tools in each TP, solely for the purpose of trading for steel tools. If tools start to run low, its a nice reserve that can be released back into general storage if necessary.

Keeping 6-8 hunting cabins and forest nodes active is tough when the farms needed to feed hundreds demand the land.

A tactic I've been using is to keep the merchant boats pinned at the TPs for however long it takes for me to buy every last peach and tool and stone that they bring. With fewer TPs, a string of dud merchants is more disruptive, and makes it more important to buy up everything you can from the good boats that come along, despite the scarcity of goods available for trade.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on January 16, 2015, 05:37:05 PM

I think that with uneducated, ale, venison, and firewood is the way to go, with just enough tool and coat production to insure a reliable surplus of tools and to allow you to keep 50 or so of both wool and hide coats in each TP, in case something really juicy comes along that you simply must buy. Also, I keep 50-100 iron tools in each TP, solely for the purpose of trading for steel tools. If tools start to run low, its a nice reserve that can be released back into general storage if necessary.

That's a good tactic. I make a bit like that with wood and clothing, too but not really tools.

Quote from: irrelevant on January 16, 2015, 05:37:05 PM

A tactic I've been using is to keep the merchant boats pinned at the TPs for however long it takes for me to buy every last peach and tool and stone that they bring. With fewer TPs, a string of dud merchants is more disruptive, and makes it more important to buy up everything you can from the good boats that come along, despite the scarcity of goods available for trade.

I sometimes do this as well. This is also a reason, that if I have several trading ports, I build them close. Than I can empty the neighbor ports if I really have to buy something.

But in this game it didn't help much the production was too low.