News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - North Port Fort & Hot Springs Resort - Story 38

Started by Abandoned, February 28, 2019, 10:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

No, not really a problem, they are different enough to tell apart and I have used mod several times before, so I am familiar with it.  Stone House addon is one of my favorites  :) 

Jinxiewinxie

The usability experience for F key variations is great until you come across something that you would like to place down lots of in the same texture... Like fences.

My first group of fences had f key variations for each design but I quickly realized you didn't want to have to select the right color for something you were placing down quickly. For buildings, it doesn't seem to affect "the process" negatively at all to have the options under F Keys instead of different toolbar icons.

If anything, from watching my husbrat test things, I've learned that having texture options within the toolbar as sub-options makes the ux less seamless feeling bc he'll forget to select the next level toolbar option and tries to place down nothing XD

Abandoned

:)  I also found it to be difficult selecting and placing things with f-key variants in the winter when there is snow on the roofs and other items.

Abandoned

Chapter 12

The mist that rose from the warm waters of the springs created a micro climate in the area.  The cold dry air seemed much warmer because of the added humidity.  Many days were quite pleasant, and in early summer picnic tables and benches began to appear, the atmosphere was almost festive.

Over by the fort, the elk returned not only with another baby but with the whole family.  They were safe from bears and hunters in that location.  The bears had greatly reduced the size and numbers of the elk herds, they needed protection for the time being. Since the bear population was now reduced there was more food available for those remaining, and the growing population of our settlements may have contributed to the bears keeping their distance.  The goats and the sheep remained safe from harm.  One of the laborers died in childbirth and was the first citizen laid to rest in the nearby cemetery.

A cleaning shed was set up there by the goat and sheep sheds.  The animal fertilizer would go into the compost bin across the river.  Plant debris was being cleaned up from the potato field there.  Sweet potatoes were being grown in one of the original potato fields now.

In late winter we were short of firewood.  The new houses and the 2 food stand were using more than we had anticipated.  Another forester was added to the large forester station and a woodcutter began chopping wood near the tunnel stockpile.  Every available laborer was out collecting branches at the end of the year.

Abandoned

Chapter 13

By early spring another crop field was cleared in order to plant more potatoes near the food stall where they would be roasted.  A small storage barn and a growhouse for fresh tomatoes was built there too. Our overall health had fallen and some citizens were not as happy as they once were.  A small sauna and chapel were built by the forest fishing pond and a small spa and chapel were built over in Hot Springs.   More wheat would be planted in one of the original farm fields instead of sweet potatoes next year.  The harvest totals of the original fields were good considering our climate but one of the potato fields produced much less than the other.  It was thought that either the farmer lived too far from the field or he had been too far away in spring collecting branches and did not plant the potatoes early enough.

Maybe next year would be better with more grain to improve their health and 2 chapels to improve their spirits.  If that didn't work maybe ale made from wheat by the Fort Brewer would.

Abandoned

Chapter 14

In late winter of year 13 we had some mild days which allowed us to collect more branches for firewood, and the tailor shop in Hot Springs was completed sooner than expected.  The warmer temperatures also had the bears up and on the prowl earlier too.  A hunting cabin was built up near the northwest river junction and another was built near the growhouse.  A butcher shop would cut bear meat into steaks on this side of the river.

Also in spring of year 14, 4 migrants from the surrounding area arrived in town.  The bears had gotten into their storage barn and demolished their supply of food, they just could not contend with the constant struggle to survive.  They were more than happy to stay with us.

We paid the price for our early spring in late autumn when the temperature dropped to below zero.  We only hoped our supply of firewood would last until the weather warmed.  Our  food supply was good but again the one potato field did very poorly.  We would try growing wheat in that field next year.  Maybe more grain would improve our overall health which continued to drop.

Abandoned

Chapter 15

Perhaps it was our overall poor health that made our people susceptible to the outbreak of cholera when it hit in Spring of year 15.  A laborer living in North Port Fort was the first to come down with the disease.  The small sauna by the forest pond was immediately opened. Had the group of 11 who arrived by houseboat in Hot Springs known about the outbreak they probably would not have stayed.  They had an idea for a unique food stall and heard we were building a resort here.  They would need flour, tomatoes, peppers, and cheese to prepare the food they had in mind.

By the time the water mill was complete near the wheat field we had 13 cases of cholera.  The Hot Springs small spa was also treating patients.  A few patients improved but more became ill.  Another compost bin was constructed by the wheat field.  We were already growing tomatoes so we built another growhouse to grow pepper.  By the time it was completed we had 22 cases of cholera.  By early summer there were 31 cases and the 1st death followed by 2 others.  We soon had 47 reported cases.  The completion of the new food stall was somewhat overlooked, the construction of a 2nd small sauna and spa took precedence amidst the tragic losses.  By early autumn there had been a total of 57 cases of cholera and over a dozen deaths, more than our small cemetery could hold.  A 2nd cemetery was built by Hot Springs' Chapel but luckily it remained empty.  In honor of the young children who fell victim to the disease, a school and playground was constructed near that chapel.

galensgranny

Yay!  The Pizza Hat!   :D   That section looks so nice with EB's red striped umbrella tables.
How terrible that there were so many deaths.

Abandoned

;D  I think that Pizza Hat is really cool, very festive looking.  Very stressful to have serious disease outbreak so close to the end of the story.  The towns are doing well despite the outbreak, it could have been worse with so many cases.

Abandoned

Chapter 16

The North Port area survived a lot and had grown a lot, although the original farm community was much the same as it had been 16 years before.  The Fort offered safety inside its walls and protection for those outside especially the port workers and river boatmen.  A bridge crossed the main river to a small farm area with a tunnel leading to what had become the town of Hot Springs, a resort with a wide variety of foods and housing choices.  As you know, weary traveler, North Port Fort and Hot Springs Resort has become know as a place in the north where people can escape from the cold and the snow and the problems of life for a day or a week or even more.  I highly recommend the high-rise stone houses with the view of the river and the getaway spots up on the roof. 

Enjoy your stay, weary traveler.

The End

Abandoned

Nilla

A visit looks very attractive to my old weary bones! Hope to see you there!

Abandoned

galensgranny

The resort and town look great!  How did you get the deco on top of the third floor of Kid's tower houses?

Abandoned

Thanks @galensgranny.  Each level has a deco top floor, maybe not the first, I would have to check for sure.  And each one is different. Also top deco roof piece has an f-key variant so that the brick and stonework match - I didn't notice I had the wrong one on the tallest tower until after I saw the picture.  ::)