News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Crash Total

Started by Paeng, September 05, 2014, 02:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

After playing since day 1 without any noteworthy technical problems, last night my Banished totally gave up on me - I hit "New" and Blam! -
Fatal Error in Runtime -x64.dll

I spent the whole night on the web, trying any fix I could find, ended up with numerous complete re-installs... nothing helped, I couldn't even start an older version anymore.

In the end, I kinda brute-forced my way back in - deleted really everything related to Banished, cleaned out the registry again, then started with an install of the original v100, which finally started the game. So from there I slowly worked my way up, version by version - now I'm in with everything back to its latest, 104b (including mods).

Naturally, I'm worried now - I dread every click on New, or Load, or Save... after all, my 'action' did not really solve anything, for all I know that runtime error can pop up any moment again... I always thought that runtime errors are basically programming-bugs - Overflow, Divide by Zero, Memory Errors, Uninitialized Data Access and stuff like that...

Can a faulty mod or a compiling error have such far-reaching consequences as well? That would be kinda... scary  :o

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

graphite

have a poke around in the systems log files. You may garnish a bit of info as to what transpired at the time ;)

A Nonny Moose

That's quite a tale.  What O/S was this on?  Application crashes are not supposed to be able to wipe out the application.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

RedKetchup

personally i was more worrying about bad RAM stick
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: graphite on September 06, 2014, 04:44:42 AMhave a poke around in the systems log files.

What, that funky "EventViewer"? Tehehe...

Problemsignature:
P1: Application-x64.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: Application-x64.exe
P4: unknown
P5: unknown
P6: 200
P7: -1
yadda yadda...

and the folder where the report is supposedly stored... is, well, empty...  :-X

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 06, 2014, 05:57:42 AMThat's quite a tale.  What O/S was this on?  Application crashes are not supposed to be able to wipe out the application.

Win7/64... well, I always found "graceful exit" a misnomer...  ;D

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 06, 2014, 08:01:43 AMpersonally i was more worrying about bad RAM stick

Nah, my diagnostics all show green light.

I'm 99.9% sure it was either some weird bug in Banished itself, or --even more likely-- some wonky stuff in one of the mods...

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 06, 2014, 02:09:01 PMand without mods ?

Well... it was running fine with and without mods... until it crashed  :)  After I re-installed, I ran it a few hours without any mods - no problem. So now I'm slowly adding mods - if it crashes again I can maybe identify the culprit... so far it holds up.

Hmmm... Come to think of it - last night I saw numerous reports with the same error (older than any mods)... but they mostly seemed to concern that Steam version (which I do not use, so I kinda disregarded them)... but that would put the ball back into the Banished court - probably pointing at the 104b, because pre 104 I had exactly 0 problems in many hundreds of hours... (except for the Pathing Tool bug in the very first version).

EDIT / FollowUp

Just to round off the adventure - I checked all mods, 1 by 1... no luck, none of them caused a crash directly. But I still crashed later on - once after installing "White Chicken", and again with the "Mill and Baker" (where the Trader Bug is known and documented)...

So after crashing a couple of times (with the same runtime error) and finding it impossible to start the game, here is what solved it for me:

Start RegEdit
Search for "Banished" and find
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Shining Rock Software LLC
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Shining Rock Software LLC\Banished
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-...-1000\Software\Shining Rock Software LLC
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-...-1000\Software\Shining Rock Software LLC\Banished

Delete them all, then fire up your game again (Banished writes in a new set of keys)...

Downside: Your recorded Achievements are gone (but hey, you already got them all anyway, right?).
And - you can start the game, but cannot be sure you won't crash again next time you hit "New"...

Not entirely satisfying... but not as bad as being completely locked out of the game.