News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Ground covering - inside buildings

Started by QueryEverything, March 01, 2017, 11:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

Hi all,

There was a mod that allowed you to add roadways etc inside buildings before they were built, so you could create a different ground for your buildings (cobblestone, road texture etc), and I thought I had it & enabled it, but I still can't add to my footprints, they are all red tiles and it's driving me nuts, (more so than usual), now either the mod is woefully outdated, or it doesn't allow you to alter all the tiles in a buildings footprint.

So, is there another way to lay ground covering before (even after) building, or I just have to hope that the old mod gets an update?  (OR a new one is made for the new version of Banished).

I really am getting a little tired of grass everywhere!  Especially in the city areas and new housing etc.

The mod I am (was, it's not working now) is Roadbound by @Owlchemist who I believe has stopped modding.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

grammycat

If you use Colonial Charter, it has tiles you can use of all their road textures plus a few others found under the Decoratives tab-I think in ghosted items.  You can use them under buildings and even over roads.

Paeng

Quote from: QueryEverything on March 01, 2017, 11:35:55 PMThere was a mod that allowed you to add roadways etc inside buildings

Yeah, "Roadbound"... it's a pet peeve of many players (myself included) when you cannot draw a driveway or a plaza etc. right up to or even inside a building... Roadbound did a sort of "traffic-enabling" (term borrowed from SC) by extending those little green arrows all the way. It was kept up in CC for a few iterations, but then slowly "died"... not sure, it might be a tedious thing for the modders to do...?

That's where the ghosted groundtiles GrammyCat mentions come in handy... I recently mentioned my dream to have all ground textures available as ghosted items (in a standalone mod for easy updates, as these textures always change or expand).  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

grammycat

I second that Paeng-that would be a dream come true for Banished players.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on March 02, 2017, 05:24:27 AM
Quote from: QueryEverything on March 01, 2017, 11:35:55 PMThere was a mod that allowed you to add roadways etc inside buildings

Yeah, "Roadbound"... it's a pet peeve of many players (myself included) when you cannot draw a driveway or a plaza etc. right up to or even inside a building... Roadbound did a sort of "traffic-enabling" (term borrowed from SC) by extending those little green arrows all the way. It was kept up in CC for a few iterations, but then slowly "died"... not sure, it might be a tedious thing for the modders to do...?

That's where the ghosted groundtiles GrammyCat mentions come in handy... I recently mentioned my dream to have all ground textures available as ghosted items (in a standalone mod for easy updates, as these textures always change or expand).  :)

but you need to have all those textures "physically", need to have all .pngs to make a such mod.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 02, 2017, 12:01:48 PMbut you need to have all those textures "physically"

Yep, understood... but there are not so many different sets of ground textures - CC, DS, Tom, RK...?

They should all be readily available?  :)

* ASctually K already made a small test mod with the CC textures for me - but it's a PKM so I can't look "inside"... though I'm sure he'd share it with you guys, too  :)

grammycat

I hope he does-we've all been good little Banished players.  :-*

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on March 02, 2017, 12:22:22 PM
Quote from: RedKetchup on March 02, 2017, 12:01:48 PMbut you need to have all those textures "physically"

Yep, understood... but there are not so many different sets of ground textures - CC, DS, Tom, RK...?

They should all be readily available?  :)

* ASctually K already made a small test mod with the CC textures for me - but it's a PKM so I can't look "inside"... though I'm sure he'd share it with you guys, too  :)

i dont even have the real stone road .png in my folders. i saw it once on the internet.... but not sure why i dont have it. the only ground texture i have is the ones i used with CityRoads.

brads3

some of the textures in the CC decorative squares are good but i hate using them. they look too fake.they show lines as seasons change. it is also easier to place roads than individual squares. i wasn't sure if some of the older road mods were ghosted or not. i do like a gravel 1 for around mines.

QueryEverything

Thanks @grammycat that answered the nagging question I had ... I was sure I saw some somewhere!  :)

@Paeng from your words to modders creative minds :)  Maybe one day we will be lucky.  I can already hear @RedKetchup mind ticking over with thought processes :D :D :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on March 02, 2017, 02:29:52 PMit is also easier to place roads than individual squares

Ghosted ground squares are not meant to replace roads, but to enhance them - e.g. in spots you cannot reach (red squares), diagonal sidings etc...  ;)

kralyerg

I'm not opposed to sharing the CC ground texture files with @RedKetchup if he wanted to do a better version.

I've never been completely happy with the ground squares in CC.  I agree that some of them do look a bit fake. :)

I also thought that bigger pieces would begood. Like a 2x2 or 3x3. Or a "patch" of the tile, that kind fades out, like the roads, instead of the straight line they have now.

Paeng

Quote from: kralyerg on March 03, 2017, 06:14:07 AMa "patch" of the tile, that kind fades out, like the roads, instead of the straight line they have now.

That would be cool, yes... setting road tiles (ghosted or not) side by side so far makes hard lines with most textures...   :)

The "fake look" usually softens once the true road tiles are upgraded by the builders...

Other than that I feel it always depends what you choose for any given situation... check the two attached samples - showing diagonals against housing works well... or that little plaza, without the diagonal fillers it would look very strange...

Dressing scenes like that always needs some patience and figuring out the right "tools" or "working around" problematic areas...  for me, that's part of the fun, as long as I have some "tools" to use   ;)

RedKetchup

there are 2 different things in that :

Roads : roads dont have a building and it is only a decal "texture" on the ground.
Ghost objects dont have a decal "texture" cause their size are 0 tile and needs to be from a 3d object, as thin as it needs too.

kralyerg

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 03, 2017, 01:54:47 PM
Ghost objects dont have a decal "texture" cause their size are 0 tile and needs to be from a 3d object, as thin as it needs too.

The ghost ground squares I made are just planes with a texture attached to them, they have 0 height.