News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

POLL: Add LIKE or LIKE/DISLIKE as a feature on WOB

Started by Admin, February 08, 2017, 06:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarscreen

Well said @Nilla thanks for the detailed and thoughtful response!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Necora

I voted yes, I like the option to scroll through a topic and 'like' a comment that I, well, like even if I have nothing to add to it.

However, I then read though these posts and I have been convinced the other way, now I wish I could change my vote! It seems a 'like' feature just isn't what this forum is about. I agree with the comments about mainstreaming and slowing conversation when people can simply like something rather than reply.

Another factor is, when do 'likes' become pointless? Due to facebook, redit, etc., it seems a instinctual response these days just to like something, not because you necessarily like it, but more of a point that you have read that comment, or even not in some cases. I've seen plenty of likes on comments in other forums where the like is really pointless, because there is nothing really to like in that comment, it seems that people hit like just out of instinct rather than to add anything meaningful to the post.

So in the short, if you count the votes, move one from yes to no for me :)

Admin

@Necora, I have edited the poll to allow you to change your vote.

Thanks to all those who have added to the discussion.

brads3

guess the world has become too PC. now we are all afraid to give helpful criticism so not to hurt peoples feelings.we especially don't want to say things and upset modders. if they quit on us ,we would be lost. the tightrope is a double edged sword.

RedKetchup

Personally i voted yes ....

but i ll respect the vote :)

/cheer
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Admin

@brads3, a good mature discussion of the pros and cons of a mod or feature should never offend a modder.  Most modders are looking for constructive criticism to help them make the most users happy.  There may be some that are offering up mods they like but are not interested in changing.  Criticism of these mods shouldn't be taken personally but as an offer to show how they appear to others and hopefully encourage someone else to create that feature or function in their own mods. 

As long as everyone is trying to be objective and express likes and dislikes as opinions, there's no need to get upset.

Now saying someone's mod is cr@p might get a reaction, but if you go on to explain why you think that, maybe the modder can overlook the flavor of the post by looking for the "helpful" explanation!  :)

solarscreen

Don't worry Red, we Like you!

;D

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 09, 2017, 08:00:29 AM
Personally i voted yes ....

but i ll respect the vote :)

/cheer
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Hawk

I initially voted either way was fine with me, but after reading through this topic and others thoughts on this matter, I have changed my vote to No (thank you Big Chihuahua for allowing that option  :) ).

I agree that a Like button really doesn't help the modders to understand what folks like about their mod; only that they like it, or the post about it, or....

What does that Like click actually say? I like the mod? I like the post? I like a comment in a post? I like the person that made the post/comment/mod?
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

brads3

Quote from: The Big Chihuahua on February 09, 2017, 08:20:58 AM
@brads3, a good mature discussion of the pros and cons of a mod or feature should never offend a modder.  Most modders are looking for constructive criticism to help them make the most users happy.  There may be some that are offering up mods they like but are not interested in changing.  Criticism of these mods shouldn't be taken personally but as an offer to show how they appear to others and hopefully encourage someone else to create that feature or function in their own mods. 

As long as everyone is trying to be objective and express likes and dislikes as opinions, there's no need to get upset.

Now saying someone's mod is cr@p might get a reaction, but if you go on to explain why you think that, maybe the modder can overlook the flavor of the post by looking for the "helpful" explanation!  :)

true but sometimes we say things and it can be interpreted wrong especially with language barriers.  then the modder instead of taking a joke,tell me to wlk the plank or something.