Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

RedKetchup work in progress....

Started by RedKetchup, March 01, 2017, 10:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

Quote from: Bartender on May 02, 2017, 02:39:10 PM
Haha, close! I live in Leiden ;). Though I grew up just south of Rotterdam, so I guess most of my old friends wouldn't appreciate it if I moved to 020 :P.

Well, that is your loss you don't live in Amsterdam  :P (Just kidding)

Been only twice in Leiden "Groenoordhallen" to see Queen concerts.
I take it you are a Feyenoord fan and I think they will be champions this year. It is about time too and I say this as a Ajax fan. :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

i finished to convert the Classic StoneWalls canal 4X 6X and 8X :)

i noticed something though : my canal water is not as same level as the Creeks, Lakes or Big River water level... i would need to lift it up like 2 stones row (of the canal walls)
but i dont think thats an obligation. :P
for sure , it would probably change a bit the overall aspect of the canals to lift everything up 2 stone rows (fishing docks, trading posts too). so i am not sure. i need to think and take a decision :P
i can also maybe just up of 1 row of stone.... which can reduce the big difference when connecting a body of water. (without changing too much the trading post overall  look)

but if i go back and lift everything up from 1 or 2 stone row.... it will be still alot of work overall cause the big number of pieces i need to edit ^^

i also noticed i need to do some ... horizontal mirrors < -- > of some pieces... depending if our canal flow from left to right or right to left ^^ which are : the corners, the 3ways, the docks and the fishing docks, the trading posts, the end of the canal. (the straights, 1 tile fillers, bridges, 4 ways dont need mirror)

gonna do the mirrors and then switching to the Old stones set (the one similar to CC dock set)

edit: the screenshots are from the 8X Classic NMT stones.

--------------

edit2 : i can also just modify the "gates" to adapt the level of water by "tilting" and rotate the water plane and try to match both, the canal level and the river level.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

The Pilgrim

Historically and even today canals are often at a different water level from the surrounding natural bodies of water. They use locks (pretty similar to the gates that you made) to control water levels. So you really aren't pressed to change anything as far as that goes.

elemental

Looking good with the new water.  :)

You mention flow direction. Somebody else mentioned river materials and lake materials the other day. I'm wondering if the lake materials is just water without a flow direction? It's just a guess and it might be wrong but you might like to investigate it.

Canals can certainly have their own water level but it would also be good if we could build a canal at river level. Sometimes it can be useful to cut through weird little bits of land to join up rivers and lakes and to do this a canal piece at river level would be best.

Bartender

Quote from: embx61 on May 02, 2017, 09:22:06 PM
Quote from: Bartender on May 02, 2017, 02:39:10 PM
Haha, close! I live in Leiden ;). Though I grew up just south of Rotterdam, so I guess most of my old friends wouldn't appreciate it if I moved to 020 :P.

Well, that is your loss you don't live in Amsterdam  :P (Just kidding)

Been only twice in Leiden "Groenoordhallen" to see Queen concerts.
I take it you are a Feyenoord fan and I think they will be champions this year. It is about time too and I say this as a Ajax fan. :)

Ha, I'm actually an Ajax fan too! You might guess that this gave me a pretty difficult childhood ;). I do agree that it's time that we got some competition again though :P.

@RedKetchup I agree with Pilgrim, the water levels in canals are often regulated with gates just like yours, so don't worry about the heights :). One thing I notice in your screenshots is that the stone in the water looks a bit bright.. you can use the OpaqueInWaterMaterial for them to appear darker underwater if you want.

@elemental the lakeMaterial creates water without a directional flow indeed. I guess it kind of depends on what type of canals you want to go for. City canals generally don't have much flow to them, while larger canals dug for transport flow just like a normal river.

RedKetchup

ok then i am gonna let it like it is presently, because higher level of water it wont do same effect on some building if lift up all the jetties.

the thing about waves or calm water : more calm the water it is , more we see the lines between each plane of water. each piece has it own plane, so when you put pieces side by side, it has unfortunatly a line between pieces.... and more calm water you have, more evident it is. i prefer more waves, it is less evident.

about the opaque in water material... i ll check it.

The Pilgrim

May I request one thing for the canal set??  Since Roman times mills were often located on canals... I would love to see at the very least a sawmill available for the set. Gristmill, foundry and textile mills would be great too but I'm not greedy. Even better would be a way of being able to construct the existing watermill models on the canal (ghosting the banks perhaps?)

QueryEverything

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

RedKetchup

Quote from: The Pilgrim on May 03, 2017, 07:06:48 AM
May I request one thing for the canal set??  Since Roman times mills were often located on canals... I would love to see at the very least a sawmill available for the set. Gristmill, foundry and textile mills would be great too but I'm not greedy. Even better would be a way of being able to construct the existing watermill models on the canal (ghosting the banks perhaps?)

totally faisable :)

can i ask what is a gristmill ?

Bartender

I'll do some research on the seams in the water when I have the time.. I think with certain UV settings the texture should be seamless. At least Mr. Luke got it to be like that for the rivers, so it should be possible for us as well :P.

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 03, 2017, 08:15:47 AMgristmill ?

Any mill for grain / flour... just to make clear it's not a textile or saw mill or such...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

DesoPL

About canals.

I wonder if canals like here in Gilneas City might be possible? I mean here connection between canal and main land.

Here is better view for what i mean, look at left down corner of the city.

RedKetchup

i dont think @DesoPL  because we are digging the ground and your other side is not a wall, but the untouched nature ground. i cannot dig like that and let the other side very natural. it is always stupid straight squares.
even if @Bartender  would explain to me how he did his round pool (with files as examples...) it would be extremly alot of work to make a set in every brick textures to get that.

meanwhile.... in the world of the old [CC] bricks textures........

RedKetchup

all converted now....
need to do the mirror pieces with flow toward the other side :)