News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla - Murrietta - testing the CC Golden Lama

Started by Nilla, June 29, 2015, 04:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dookie

@Nilla You're right, the apothecary's output seems to be attached to the Log limit even though it produces medicine.   

This thread has some good feedback for Colonial Charter, but I think these weaknesses in balancing don't really keep me from enjoying the overall game of Banished.  I'm learning this modpack just like you; I've only played two maps with CC.  If I play without no mods, then I will miss some of the buildings and variety. 

I think I will continue to play with CC (and @RedKetchup 's New Medieval Town) and just avoid smuggler/bootlegger/charteredcompany/logger/etc. basically the whole precious metals economy.  Also, I will not upgrade housing fully to avoid using "furnishings."  So, I think you can still enjoy the game with CC if you ignore the trading value of Furnace Fuel and overproduce it.

I agree CC is easier, or at least the similar level of difficulty but in a different way, and I understand the appeal of unmodded Banished's few materials, professions, and products.  In my opinion, it was a bit lacking in depth if I replayed a lot, so I'm glad people are creating mods.  Even though I have some criticism of CC; overall, I still think it is great, but I understand you as well.

Nilla

Quote from: Dookie on July 02, 2015, 04:59:17 PM
@Nilla You're right, the apothecary's output seems to be attached to the Log limit even though it produces medicine.

Do you know what the medicine is good for? I thought it could be used instead of herbs, if people are ill.  But obviously it's not, as the limit is connected to the log limits.

Quote from: Dookie on July 02, 2015, 04:59:17 PM
I agree CC is easier, or at least the similar level of difficulty but in a different way, and I understand the appeal of unmodded Banished's few materials, professions, and products.  In my opinion, it was a bit lacking in depth if I replayed a lot, so I'm glad people are creating mods.  Even though I have some criticism of CC; overall, I still think it is great, but I understand you as well.

Even if I complain about some things, I find the CC-mod is impressive. Some things are great. It's just not a mod that gives me more play-fun. That doesn't mean it's crap. If you like the city building, designing aspect of Banished, I can absolutely understand, that you don't want to play without it. I like more the similution, surviving, problem solving aspects.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on July 03, 2015, 08:47:07 AM
I like more the similution, surviving, problem solving aspects.
I'm with you!

Dookie

@Nilla  I assume the medicine is used the same way as herbs, so it should be attached to the herb limit instead.

Regarding designing versus problem solving/surviving, I'm with you and @irrelevant that the latter appeals to me more as well.  I've never been good at creating things aesthetically.  That's not the reason I like to play with CC.  As much as I complain about the some of the production chains, the variety of new crops/animals/industries does provide more depth to problem solving, imo, I just have a critique of the ones that are not useful to your citizens (eg. gold/silver/gems).  For example, the decorative stuff in CC is great  (the other decorative items modpack is nice too) if you're into design, but I don't use them that much because I'm more into the simulation and problem solving aspects too. 

In unmodded Banished, it still isn't very difficult once you get things running; so like I said, when you replay it many times, I notice it usually develops one of only a few ways.  So I see that it isn't very deep... For example, you always see the same few terrain types, and you're always getting the same animals, and you realize trading post is the solution for everything.  Beyond survivability, which I argue isn't super hard anyway, the base game always presents the same set of familiar challenges, so the more stuff you add to it, it creates replay value for me in what I do or do not build.  The unmodded game is still fun, but I don't expect anything unfamiliar or to do anything very different each time I play. 

Nilla

Quote from: Dookie on July 03, 2015, 01:48:37 PM
@Nilla  I assume the medicine is used the same way as herbs, so it should be attached to the herb limit instead.

In unmodded Banished, it still isn't very difficult once you get things running; so like I said, when you replay it many times, I notice it usually develops one of only a few ways.  So I see that it isn't very deep... For example, you always see the same few terrain types, and you're always getting the same animals, and you realize trading post is the solution for everything.  Beyond survivability, which I argue isn't super hard anyway, the base game always presents the same set of familiar challenges, so the more stuff you add to it, it creates replay value for me in what I do or do not build.  The unmodded game is still fun, but I don't expect anything unfamiliar or to do anything very different each time I play. 

I don´t really agree on that. I have played a lot of games and I have always found some new challenges. Try a game without schools, without trading ports, test the limits on small maps, build a big settlement as fast as possible, join the challenges and build settlements with no normal houses, store as much food as you can or start a game as fast as possible.... the options are huge, even without mods. For me; it´s wide and deep enough, But true; I also enjoy testing the mods. :)

Dookie

That's not really what I meant, of course you can find fun in these self-made challenges, but you're creating rules to limit yourself, and that's not the joy I get from playing Banished, which is more open-ended playing.  For example, why would I make a game without schools?   I already know that it will be harder because I've played many games partially without schools.  (You can't make a game without normal houses unless you use mods).  Storing as much food as I can sounds like something I try on every map, but I wouldn't want to maximize it to the extreme. 

These type of challenges aren't the type I was referencing, which was the depth of the game mechanics itself.   Let's be honest with ourselves, we enjoy playing a simple game, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Just because it is not very deep doesn't make it not challenging, but we can't mistake difficulty for depth. 

I do enjoy watching/reading others play certain challenges, but for myself, Banished isn't the type of game that is meant to be competitive like a war strategy game or something like that.  Things like new terrain, climate, and stuff like that add variability and increases the number of small problems you have to solve, making it more complex.  That said, complex is NOT always better, and we pointed out some issues where they have taken it too far without balancing it, imo. 

Nilla

@Dookie, I agree to sone points but not competly.

QuoteFor example, why would I make a game without schools?

Because it is a really hard way to play. Sometimes I find Banished a bit too easy and no one wants to make a mod that makes the game harder  ;)   :'(  But there is a way without mods; no schools.

Quote(You can't make a game without normal houses unless you use mods)

You can. Look at the challenge with only Boarding houses.

QuoteStoring as much food as I can sounds like something I try on every map, but I wouldn't want to maximize it to the extreme. 

Fully agree! That challenge was awful!

QuoteLet's be honest with ourselves, we enjoy playing a simple game, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Agree

QuoteJust because it is not very deep doesn't make it not challenging, but we can't mistake difficulty for depth. 

I don't think I understand what you mean with a game having depth (sorry English is my third language). What is the opposite? Easy-difficult, simple-compicated, deep -??

QuoteI do enjoy watching/reading others play certain challenges, but for myself, Banished isn't the type of game that is meant to be competitive like a war strategy game or something like that

I absolutely agree, that Banished isn't a competerive game. I play the challenges because I like to see how different (or not?) we all approach the task, that is asked for in that specific challenge. I do not compete with others. I like when other people do things good, better than me, and also explain what they do. When I've played one of these challenges, I use to tell how I think it could have been done better. Just because I want someone to try it (together with his/her own ideas).