News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Animal Refuge - Story 9

Started by Abandoned, January 31, 2017, 06:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

what a strange world.i see even the sheep have learned to read signs.
  did you ever try to put 2 bushes over 1 another?? turn the next bush and place it on the same spot,gives a busier bush.just have to be sure the "f" variant is the same. works on those roses also. and some trees.

Abandoned

Thanks for tip on bush placement @brads3, I will have to try that.  I really like those plants, such nice colors.  So does your missing merchant have my missing sheep?  :)  Really, no idea what happened to them.  I didn't have a herdsman for them, guessing they can't be left unattended that long.

brads3

noo but my pastures have extra cows.if i narrow down where they hide,i am going to send them to u

brads3

yep animals  will run away or die if nobody keeps an eye on them for too long.

Abandoned

@brads3 I would have like both milk cows and vanilla cattle but couldn't have both and you have 3 kinds of cows LOL  and lilacs  ;D

brads3

I GOT THE LILACS BACK WHEN KIDD was making the roses and bushes,etc. did you ever try the milk cow mod?

Abandoned

@brads3 the only 2 milk cow mods I used in stories are Red's Dairy Milk and Creamery and Red's Red Creamery both have black and white cows. Kid's new small dairy will have black and white cows.    I was going to tell you that your cow problem is probably if you are using the new cc l.7  but I read you already know that.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

The next few years were pretty routine: fishing, hunting, gathering, conjuring, woodcutting.  Survivors arrived each year, some chose to stay, others went upstream to the new Refugee Camp and other went downstream to the Mountain Mission.  The routine was disrupted in late winter of year 13 by a strange discovery south of town.  Glyndall climbed the hill to get on overview of the sacred forest before spring leaves could obstruct the view but she never turned around to get a good look at it.  She was dumbstruck by the sight of 3 huge stone figures before her.  She made her way through the snow back to town to report what she had found. At the exact same time resource gatherers returned with news that they found another Mother Tree north of town and more stone and iron than they remembered being there before.  Yes, very strange indeed.

Glyndall inspected the tree in the north and said it was definitely another Mother Tree.  She gathered woodchips to place around it.  Rockett went immediately to examine the stone figures, along with many onlookers. The statues were old, very old, not newly carved.  They appeared to be common stone except for what looked like a strange hat, maybe bog iron that could be found way up North.  Were these here all along?  Were they uncovered by rain and wind?  Were they ancient sacred stones carved by some unknown people? 

By spring of year 14, flowering shrubs appeared around the new Mother Tree.  The huge stone statues remained a mystery.  The boatman who brought the hogs he had rescued said he never seen anything like them.  He'd ask around but he never heard any mention of strange huge stones by any of the boatmen.  The hogs he brought did well and multiplied.  We could only keep as many as we could provide good care for, the others would provide us with hides, pork, and bacon from the wood butcher shop built the following year.

That year, year 15, our village school was filled to capacity.  An outdoor classroom, like we had back in Smallville, was built just in time so no child missed getting an education.  The 1st 3 students who graduated from the village school took jobs near the new classroom and spoke often to the students about their job as botanist, herdsman, and gatherer.  Students of the new classroom would learn new ways of survival as well as the old ways.

kid1293

Thanks for sharing.
I don't know your time-zone but there is always something new
when I round up and getting ready to get some sleep.
I have it with me. :)

Abandoned

@kid1293 That is very nice.  Time zone central US, several hours ahead of wherever you are I think.  I try to get to story in the morning but sometimes just don't get to it.  Will have to remember not to post spooky stories late in the day :)

Abandoned

Chapter 7

Sightings of survivors and stray livestock were few and far between now.  In late spring of year 16 one of the boatman brought us several cows and we all looked forward to fresh wholesome milk.  We all enjoyed the chestnuts Normanni conjured up and roasted over the crackling bonfire.  The smell of burning leaves filled the autumn air.  In early winter 5 chickens were the last strays to join our Animal Refuge.  Sierrat was happy to look after them and even happier that the hogs had been moved downwind away from her tree house.  All 6 pastures were now occupied but there was room for more if the need arose.

Normanni and I were extremely proud of our son, Conardo.  He built and operated what he called a mush masher and the mothers just loved the mush mash he produced, a nutritious alternative to the cooked oats they fed their infants. Elissac, our physician said it would be good to feed the sick and the elderly too.  Conardo took nothing from the food reserves but relied on donations and produced an amazing amount of mush.  The concoction filled many cook pots this winter.

So, weary traveler after only 16 years we have a population of 78, 41 adults, 17, students, and 20 young children.  Our Animal Refuge is home to 92 animals, 44 chickens, 14 hogs, 28 sheep, and 6 milk cows.  Yes, we did pretty well, weary traveler,  and all it took was a little magic. 

Nilla

Abandoned

Thanks @Nilla glad you enjoyed story.

Thanks @brads3 for lilac link