News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pre-purchase questions

Started by Katsuro, February 22, 2019, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katsuro

Good day to all. I recently stumbled upon Banished while watching YouTube and was intrigued by the game. I have looked for city building/survival games that doesn't require amassing armies, this one certainly looked the part I am searching for. I do have a few questions however, before purchasing.

1. I have a cheap WalMart laptop I purchased recently, HP Stream 14. I am not tech savvy, so unsure how the game would run on it (in terms of performance). Honestly, if the frame rate is low, this would be unsuitable for this PC and sadly, would likely end the purchase.

Assuming the top is acceptable:

2. What would entail creating a mod, most specifically building construction/some terrain adjustment. If only to use on my game, I love Asian architecture.  I play an older PS2 game, Nobunaga's Ambition Rise to Power (actually playing as I type) and would use the styles they use for their structures. Would one need a certain image program (ie photoshop, paint.net, etc) in addition to the creation kit or is the kit sufficient to make changes? Just something I may try my hand in.

3. Do I have to get the game via Steam? I only ask as I have a limited amount of storage and try not to use up the little I have left on other programs. 

I think this covers the more important questions, hopefully will be able to play the game soon if all is appropriate and become an active member of this community.

RedKetchup

all depends if you really want to put your asian assets in game. you will need a 3D program like Blender or 3DSMax. will your laptop handle this ? i dont think.

about playing with your laptop, you would need to not go in huge maps too much and keep it simple
+ you new future things you will do :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

galensgranny

Banished is a great, peaceful game!  I have played it for a great many hours over one or two years. Now that many talented modders, such as RedKetchup, have made many mods and posted them on this forum, the game is fabulous as one has so many building styles to play with.

I recommend you try it.  I get many games from Steam, and if they don't work, assuming one has "played" (or tried to get it to work) less than an hour or maybe two soon after purchasing, one can ask for a refund due to it not working on one's computer.  Steam is good about refunding, and stopping access to the game, of course, since you "returned" it.
Steam is not the only place to get Banished.  It is also available on GOG.

Making mods is hard and has a steep learning curve for most people.  I have no idea how to do it, sadly.  If you read through some of the tutorials and questions on this forum about modding in the "Tutorials" section, you will get a good idea of what it entails.

Hawk

One thing you could do is run dxdiag (DX Diagnostics) and see what it tells you about your system. You can take a screenshot of the first page (System) and one of the Display page and post it here. We could then have an idea of what your system is like and how/if it will run the game.

To run DXDiag click on the Start button, then Run and type dxdiag then hit enter.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Katsuro

I think the image is posted properly

On a side note, I have a 3d program called Paint 3D, would this be used for mod creation? Course it's not a deal breaker if not, figured I would try my hand lol. I am definitely leaning on getting the game later tonight or tomorrow

Thank you all for the help in advance and past :)

Jinxiewinxie

Modding is really, really hard. And intricate. And frustrating at times XD

Most folks use blender or 3dsmax for the mesh creations and you can use GIMP or PS or Paint.net app for image editing. The code files themselves are useful to open in Notepad++ =) I'm not sure about paint 3d, I haven't seen someone mention it but maybe maybe maybe.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Scoots Circus on February 23, 2019, 11:49:47 AM
Banished runs really well until I get several hundred citizens about 120yrs into the game with lots of resource production chains.

thats the burden of everyone, some soooner than others. This is where the value is important.

other than that i am prety sure you can handle Banished. just up to which point ?

about Blender/3DSMax will be your limit.

Katsuro

Thank you all again for replying. Just purchased and downloaded the game, going through the initial setup. Hopefully will run smoothly for my planned playing style. With some trial and error, I hope to have not a huge town, but several settlements throughout the map (just a handful of structures per "settlement". Course I have no idea if this will work lol, may have to just level the population :D

rkelly17

Quote from: Katsuro on February 23, 2019, 02:14:51 PM
Thank you all again for replying. Just purchased and downloaded the game, going through the initial setup. Hopefully will run smoothly for my planned playing style. With some trial and error, I hope to have not a huge town, but several settlements throughout the map (just a handful of structures per "settlement". Course I have no idea if this will work lol, may have to just level the population :D

@Katsuro, what you are planning sort of works. The game shuffles job assignments regularly, trying to put people in workplaces closest to where they live. As long as you have a market and enough housing for all workplaces in the "village," it goes OK. They do still wander around a bit, especially if they cannot fill all their needs close by. Laborers can go almost anywhere to work. A large building project can upset things until it finishes, since the game is trying to find builders close by, too.

RedKetchup

i hope you will have a lot of fun :)
specially if you want to try RKEC :)