News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Trader Boats Blocked by Truss Bridge

Started by Freedom, July 30, 2018, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom

I often use @Discrepancy DS Jetty & Bridge mod to build Truss Bridges across rivers. In my first town using @RedKetchup RK Editor's Choice Full mod, the Truss Bridge blocks river traffic. I've built, torn down, and rebuilt the Truss Bridge in multiple places on this map. The first few boats pass under it okay (to my 3 trade posts), but after that first season or so, the boats stop passing under the bridge. Remove the Truss Bridge and river traffic returns to normal. Other types of bridges work normally however.

As you see from the pictures, the trade boats trek across dry land to avoid the bridges and make VERY long detours to do so. The problem exists with RK Ed mod either above or below the DS Jetty & Bridge mod (and patch). I can't say either mod is the problem, or that it is not just a coincidence with this map seed, but if anyone has any suggestions... Thanks.

elemental

That looks like a narrow truss bridge. Have you tried using the wider truss bridge? Also make sure you are using the latest version of this mod.

I've had problems with these bridges since DS first released them. The newest version of this mod works for me, but only the wide bridges. The narrow ones still don't work, but I'm happy that I can use the wide ones.  :)

rkelly17

I've seen merchants do some odd things, like rowing through mud banks between rivers and lakes and use the small streams, but never cross any distance of dry land. Did the merchants use the small stream or just plow along through the forest? Love to see a picture of him/her rowing through the trees.  ;D

elemental

From the map it looks like a small strip of land between river and lake. I would guess that the terraform mod would reveal water tiles underneath that land, and that's probably why the boat went through the land and continued on its long route to the port.

Land-based traders... another thing for the Banished 2 wish list.

Goblin Girl

@Freedom I think that looks like a really interesting map.  Would you mind sharing the seed and terrain info with us?

Freedom

@elemental yes replacing the narrow truss bridge with the wider did allow the trader boats to pass underneath them.  I had actually started rebuilding the wider one in that same spot when I first posted. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Too bad because the narrower one fit better into the surroundings.

QuoteFrom the map it looks like a small strip of land between river and lake. I would guess that the terraform mod would reveal water tiles underneath that land, and that's probably why the boat went through the land and continued on its long route to the port.

A close up of the area shows that the "calm" lake waters extend past that small strip of land and out into the river. So yeah, the game seems to treat that land strip as ghosted. Wonder what happens if I intentionally block the river again after placing roads or other obstructions on the land strip. Will the boats just not come down the river, or will they still cross the road?  ::) ;D

@rkelly17 luckily for me that lake eventually connects back to the river via the stream. The traders did row upstream all the way back to the river. So sorry, but no pics of bulldozer traders plowing paths through the forests. Too bad...   ;) ;D

@Goblin Girl the map info is pictured below. Seed is 450269173. It's a fun map with lots of separate areas for varied settlements. With my setup (RK Ed Choice up top and CC down lower, it started with all 4 food groups (turnip/corn cherry/chestnut) which is nice as I'd rather build out towns and settlements rather than worry about survival for the first 20 years...

Goblin Girl

Quote from: Freedom on August 01, 2018, 12:26:13 PM
@Goblin Girl the map info is pictured below. Seed is 450269173.
Well duh.  I missed that.  Thanks!  :)

elemental

I've never seen lake water extending into a river like that. Even on a plain old river, water tiles extend under the land a few tiles. It looks like boats can use them even if there is land on top.

I had this boat problem with CC Lake Waters maps. I'm a little bit glad it's not just me and that it also happens on other maps, but I'd rather it didn't happen at all. Luckily the double wide bridges work fine. I really love the look of the DS truss bridges, jetties, stone bridges, and also the timber mill quay pieces. They are essential mods for me. I like building on water, because having everything on land is a bit boring.  :)

rkelly17

Quote from: elemental on August 01, 2018, 03:29:03 PM
I've never seen lake water extending into a river like that. Even on a plain old river, water tiles extend under the land a few tiles. It looks like boats can use them even if there is land on top.

I had a map several years ago where there appeared to be a narrow strip of land/mud between the river and the lake, but which merchants completely ignored. I built a bridge across it and the bridge acted like the whole strip was water. My guess is that this happens when the river and lake end at adjacent tiles and the game paints a strip of "bank" along tiles that are actually counted as water. In this case, since it thinks that it has reached the edge of the river right next to the tile in which it thinks it has reached the edge of the lake, it paints a bit of "bank" on both tiles and it ends up looking like there is land there. I have no idea why the "lake" water would extend into the river unless there us a bug in the map-creating script.

elemental

Quote from: rkelly17 on August 02, 2018, 11:41:07 AM
I have no idea why the "lake" water would extend into the river unless there us a bug in the map-creating script.

Perhaps rivers are created first (every map needs one) and then lakes are added. So if there is any overlap, the lake water texture is the one that is seen. Just a guess. It's interesting to see stuff like this.