News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Banished Forum Hosting - I can't reply in the other thread.

Started by theonlywanderer, December 02, 2020, 03:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galensgranny

Regarding spam on this forum, I recall reading about a bunch of spammers in Sept or so, but it was after it happened, so I never saw the spam.  It turns out The Big Chihuahua adjusted some settings and spoke of a service used to control spammers.  I would be interested to know what is being used. 

Goblin Girl

@galensgranny I'm sure that once we get something official planned, The Big Chihuahua will give us all the information we need to take care of the things he protected the forum from. 

theonlywanderer

@The Big Chihuahua

Can you give me the total storage size of the forum and it's database?

Abandoned

@theonlywanderer , perhaps you should contact TBC with questions, maybe he rather not discuss on open forum.  In the End of the World thread he says "Contact me at Worldofbanished@gmail.com if you are interested and let's work this out." 

Thanks for doing this :)

theonlywanderer

I'm not asking any personal information, it's not a big deal to post that info in public so others can see and help them make a decision as well.

Abandoned

theonlywanderer

@Jinxiewinxie

It would probably be best to find a host right a way.   I really don't know how much traffic this site gets so it's hard to say how much of a burden it would be on my hosting, which I really can't afford to have it interfered with.   Plus it would be a one time transfer and setup of the site versus having to put it on mine and than do it again if somebody else finally comes along.   

theonlywanderer

I'm already losing a bit of interest due to the annoyance of everything wanting my private information which I hate giving out when it comes to anything this public related online.   To setup hosting you need billing info, of course.  Wants your address, name, etc... etc...  on and on.   It only takes one upset person to make somebody's life miserable which is why I protect my online identity at all costs when it comes to public stuff like this.    It's really not worth risking my business hosting either to any kind of spam bots or any other malicious attacks.

I was making rather quick decisions because @The Big Chihuahua set a deadline, but he has now said he will keep it up until somebody takes it over.  I assume this means the first of the year deadline is no longer an issue?   

If @The Big Chihuahua does decide he's had enough and wants it gone ASAP....  I am willing to work with @The Big Chihuahua, at the very least, to get a copy of the forum and database to hold as a backup and also help somebody to get it up and running on another host who is willing to handle that aspect.

If something goes south and the board has to go down before getting transfered, I created a quickie free forum where members can go and discuss options for getting it back up and running.  Hopefully multiple people can get copies of the forum and database for safekeeping if this scenario occurs.

https://worldofbanished.boards.net/

catty-cb

Quote from: theonlywanderer on December 04, 2020, 01:48:01 PM
...Can you give me the total storage size of the forum and it's database?

The last backup of my website was 1.7GB zipped up (2.1GB unzipped), I had a very small forum .... basically just for people to ask for help, etc, but a much bigger technical data section, smaller downloads exchange, but 18 thousand pictures in the galleries ... so probably in terms of size similiar to WOB.

My site was hosted by Hostpapa

https://www.hostpapa.co.nz/web-hosting-plan/

And I was on the Business Pro plan and was also paying for daily backups and had a commercial firewall to stop spammers, but it was one of those perfect storm things ... whole lot of things happened which by themselves wouldn't have caused me to decide to shutdown my website, the final straw was Hostpapa sending me a formal notice that I had to upgrade the site to its own server or downgrade my site, it seems I was getting too many visitors.

Anyway that's when I went and had a talk with the staff at Simtropolis, see this topic for details

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=3886.0

I must admit I did seriously consider volunteering to take over running WOB, but the reasons that made me decide that it was time to step down from running my own website still apply and to be honest I have enjoyed not having to worry about trying to keep one step ahead of the spammers all the time.

Don't know if it helps but the attached picture was taken just before I locked site access and started with the help of the simtrop staff to transfer the contents of the site over to Simtropolis.

banishedsanni

Im willing to take worldofbanished over.

I have a bit of experience since i am designer, admin and everything else related to my father's company web presence and was admin of the one or other forum for little private projects in the past.
Did a lil research and found a cheap webhoster for 4 € a month with unlimited traffic and 75gb space, which will be more than enough space @The Big Chihuahua said.

If it really happens that I take this forum over I count on the community to support me by taking over moderator tasks.

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

kid1293

A big hug to @banishedsanni

I hope this will work painlessly for you. I also hope those voices in recent days are ready to
help with administration. You are all fantastic! :)

galensgranny

So glad to hear that, Banishedanni!  I am still willing to be a moderator.

Abandoned

Wonderful news, thanks @banishedsanni and all who will moderate.  I hope all goes well  :)

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .