Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Necora's Work in Progress

Started by Abandoned, February 27, 2017, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necora

Thanks all  :)

Quote from: Nilla on March 23, 2017, 05:30:23 AM
I can only say; WOW! Can´t wait to try your next version. You really have a talent for creating good looking things! :)

Pretty perhaps, unfortunately by talent for balancing and functionality is severely lacking ;)

Coming soon to a download section near you... Maritimes Trees Replacement Addon - An addon mod that will replace vanilla trees with new ones from this set. Including apple, aspen, birch, fir, maple, spruce, and white pine.

brads3

wow,so we will have new forests that give us foods without planting the trees. will this override CC starts also?

Nilla

I like it, even the orange colored maples (?). It's a "humble" shade, that doesn't disturb my eyes. Good work!

And to balancing; you're not bad. Has anyone complained, except me? And we both know, that I have somehow extreme opinions. In most cases your balancing works. And I certainly don't want to discourage you.

Necora

@brads3 it won't give you any new resources, it is simply a tree model over-ride.

I decided to keep vanilla resources so people can choose to use it with or without other maritimes mods, and it will not effect the functionality of other mods. So it will work with all vanilla foresters/gatherers/herbalists, and any other forsters/gatherers/herbalists that add a new model but use the vanilla tree resource.

The only part of the code this impacts is (should be) the tree models, nothing else. Another reason for this is because @Bartender is producing some stunning natural resource variations at I didn't want them not to be used with the maritimes or this tree addon. So as long as he doesn't change the tree file, they will work together. Also, mods such as the Wild Flax mod will (should) also work with this as I don't modify the spawning code, just make sure you load this mod on top.

@Nilla yeah I actually liked the subtleness of the red maples so kept them in. Some variation is nice, as long as it is not too shocking. And I'm not discouraged... I'll just ignore you ;). Ok that was a joke, I'm working on balancing the pine set to make it better because things do need to be adjusted with it. I'm planning two more updates for it, a visual update with the new trees and improved resources, then a balancing update. Then it should be somewhat finished.

elemental

Do you have any plans to release these trees as a set of decorative town trees? That would be very nice.  :)

Also, have you made a forester that plants only your trees? I know that isn't needed when using your tree override mod, but it would be fun to have a planted forest of your trees on a map with vanilla trees (in other words, without the override tree mod).

Necora

@elemental yes, and yes!

I'm currently putting together a Maritimes Decorations pack full of ghost decorations. This will most definitely include these trees, and also most raw materials too so you can decorate markets and docks and things. I always enjoyed that about CC.

As for the foresters, the Pine Set is currently being upgraded to include these new trees for the two foresters included in that.

Bartender

I just tested our compatibility @Necora; my mushrooms and your trees give an absolutely lush forest feeling. Once I'm done with the herbs and everything else this is going to be amazing.

Necora

@Bartender that is really cool. Now we need some ground coverings and low shrubbery!

Necora

The visual update to the pine set is nearing completion. So far, I have re-made all raw materials with new models, textures, and sprites so they look more continuous and, well, just better. I have also tackled the natural resources to add more variety, proper models for some, and better representations for others. Here are a few...

Cranberry bush...

Fiddleheads...

Rabbit/Fox hole (two types, 1 model)...

Maple Sap - now appears as tapping buckets!...

As does the pine resin...

Dead fall trap! There are others too but they don't show up...

Apples...

Blueberry bush...

Pine boughs (the variants won't show up)...

And finally, the chanterelles...

So how will they appear in game? Well, there are three sets, with some cross over. Here is the break down...

Wild/Vanilla - Spawned naturally and also by the vanilla forester. All food resources collected by the vanilla gatherer.

Herbs (vanilla)
Onion (vanilla)
Roots (vanilla)
Mushroom (vanilla)
Beaver Lodge - collected by trapper, produces 'Pelt' (textile).
Blueberry bush - new model, produces 'Blueberry' (fruit).
Chanterelle patch - produces 'Chanterelle' (vegetable).
Cranberry bush - produces 'Cranberry' (fruit).
Fiddlehead fern - produces 'Fiddlehead' (vegetable).
Fox Hole - collected by trapper, produces 'Fur' (textile).
Nest - collected by trapper, produces 'Eggs' (protein).
Rabbit Hole - collected by trapper, produces 'Game' (protein).

Pine Set - Spawned by the trees planted by the pine forester. Collected by the pine harvester.

Bough - produces 'Pine Bough' (material).
Chanterelle patch - produces 'Chanterelle' (vegetable).
Flax - produces 'Flax' (textile).
Pine tap - produces 'Pine Resin' (material).
Trap - collected by trapper, produces 'Wild Animal' (textile).

Maple Set - Spawned by the trees planted by the maple forester. Collected by the maple forager.

Apple - produces 'Apple' (fruit).
Blueberry bush - new model, produces 'Blueberry' (fruit).
Cranberry bush - produces 'Cranberry' (fruit).
Maple tap - produces 'Maple Sap' (inedible fruit).
Trap - collected by trapper, produces 'Wild Animal' (textile).

ancientmuse

Ooooo... love the look of all your new models, very realistic !

The maple taps are just like the real deal.  I think now with your addition of the new forest and models I'm going to set up all your Maritime mods into a whole new game folder so that I can have a Canadian "frontier" Banished all on its own... it'll make for a beautiful new environment with true authenticity !

I did that for Colonial Charter, Nordics North, and Banished 1.0.7 (in case the new update was buggy).  But this way I can pick and choose which Banished style I want to play depending on my mood.  LOL

So now I'll have 4 desktop shortcuts for 4 different Banished game styles instead of my current 3.

Thank you so much for all these new additions and updates you're throwing at us !

Happy dance !

;D

Nilla

Looks very nice!

Just one small suggestion: As i tested your mods, it was quite obvious, that the maple forest gives very much food, so does a vanilla forest but the pine forest only chanterell (great addition), otherwise only materials. It's also  less productive than the other types of forests. I was never in Canada, but if a Canadian pineforest work like a Scandinavian forest, there also ought to be some berries to be found. In fact, in my neighborhood, you find the most blueberries in pine forests. My favourite blueberry location is a beautiful pine forest, not far away from where I live. :) But as far as I know, the American blueberries and the European are not quite the same fruit, so maybe your kind doesn't grow in pine forests.

Necora

@ancientmuse that's great. Hopefully the next pine set update with all of these goodies will not be too far away, I just want to run it through a few times more and perhaps modify a couple of the buildings.

@Nilla well, it depends, and varies a lot. It is as much about the general environment as the tree type. Around my house, I live in the forest, it is dominated by spruce, fir, and white pine with a mix of aspen. The only thing I know of that you can harvest, and I do, is chanterelles. But I'm sure if you went to the other side of the valley there would be different flora in a similar forest. A lot of things depend on the direction of the slope, proximity to water etc. There are a few patches of wild strawberries about. The most blueberries and cranberries come from more shrubby and mixed forests it seems.

The reason for different tree sets was more for functionality rather than natural representation, and so they were set up to produce specific resources, so the pine set primarily for the resin and boughs, and the maple for the maple sap. The pine forester was never intended to have food, just materials, but I added chanterelles for the closest match and to give a little bit of food. If I add too many things then the gatherers will become too powerful. I do need to increase the flax output though, that is far too low at the moment.

Nilla

I don't think you have to be worried about overproduction in the pine forest, if you would add berries to it. The reason, I suggests this is the opposite; to give someone like me, who build based on efficiency a better reason to have pineforests in my settlements. Maybe you could also concider to make a pine forest produce more logs than a maple forest.

As always this is my opinion, based on my way of playing.

Why would I build a pine forest?
- It's beautiful.
- It gives more diversity and new production chains
- The buildings from the new production chains look good and fit well together.

Why wouldn't I build a pine forest?
- It's less productive then a vanilla or a maple forest. (I have some numbers from my last game, gather in a pine forest collects a value of 500-700, maple forest 1200-1500, vanilla ~1000)
- It doesn't produce anything of great interest.
  -- I do like to give my people my favourites; the chanterelles but like other mushrooms, it looks like they are heavy and take a lot of space in the stores.There are som many other interesting vegetables as alternative.
  -- Flax can be used to make rope, but to a big loss. I'll rather sell the flax and buy the rope.
  -- Charcoal makes a decent profit and can be used to process maple sap to syrup but this is a loss. I'll rather sell the sap.
  -- Charcoal can be used to produce whiskey. The production site is rather profitable but the profit is "eaten away", because some of the syrup is consumed as food. If I want alcohol; vanilla recipe, is easier and much more profitable.
  -- All other possible products are for export only but the profit is much too low, to make them interesting export businesses.

taniu

@ Necora.Llove the look of all your new models, very realistic !Great idea split into different varieties of forests and resources to make more choices in the game :)I love the woods :D

Abandoned

@Necora wow, so many choices and all look so good :)  Can't wait to try them.