News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla, Prenting- back home

Started by Nilla, January 01, 2017, 07:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Quote from: Gatherer on January 04, 2017, 09:08:28 AM
Ouch! At least there are no forest fires in this game.

Maybe it would be something for our friend @Tom Sawyer to introduce.  ;D But forest fires are not as common and devastating here up in Scandinavia, as in some other parts of the world. I guess our forests are seldom as dry, as they are in warmer countries.

I don't know, how long I will go on playing this game. To be true; it's quite boring. I see no problem at all to continue the same way, as I've done so far, until the map is full. As I said; farming is very efficient. The only things I miss are bricks and roof tiles. I expand fast. 1 uneducated brickmaker doesn't produce much and the merchants don't bring much either. There's no problem to buy enough tools; the other product I rather like to buy. I have two blacksmiths, sometimes I let them work. Mostly by making tools from bought steel or iron. But I think it would have worked also without any.

I do a bit experimenting with other seeds. I've tried rye, wheat, beans and walnuts. I`m sorry @Abandoned, I was a bit wrong by my advice about walnuts. They grow better, than I thought on mild. Not so good as apples, but you can harvest around 80%, if you start the harvest manually. Most years it doesn't work well with an automatic harvest, because it doesn't start before September, if it hasn't reached 100% and I have never seen that. The time until the first frost is normally too short to harvest all there is, if you start that late.

Another crop that's better than I thought, is beans. It grows better than potatoes. As good as always, there's 100% harvest without manual start, same as barley. Rye and potatoes both grows well, but if you don't start the harvest manually at about 90% you will often lose some to frost. Wheat also grows, but it gives less, than the other crops, I've tested.

First picture

Typical picture of the crops in July.

You can also see, that I've rebuilt the village, that was destroyed. Now there's a well close!

Second picture

I've built without thinking and learned something the "hard way" again. I like to build trading ports at lakes, that are connected to the river with a stream. It's a very good and efficient way to distribute imported goods into remote areas. (Same as ports on streams, if you are lucky to find a place where it fits) This port worked well for some years. Then I was stupid enough, to build a mill to block the stream. Of cause no boat can pass! It's very logical.

Third picture

A picture from the latest area. You can see, that I've returned to the Russian houses. I reserve my few bricks for large barns and stores. If I continue this game, I will build a second brickmaker on the other side of the river. But I'm not so sure I will. The cut in food graph and inventory shows why.

Tom Sawyer

Haha. I thought about making a forest fire when I saw your burned village. I can try but probably it would not work to add sections for fire to a natural resource and it would be really frustrating to lose a whole forest in this way. And you say it is not typical in the North.

If the game bores you on mild I can offer you a special difficulty level I have planned for a while, for you of course to play on harsh. Ironman Mode. Are you interested? ;D

Nilla

Yes, please! Of cause I am interested!  :)

I could also try the same game as this on harsh. I guess, the challenge would be enough, when the productivity of the farms gets down to the half and grain not growing at all (if you haven't changed them, since the last time I tried). I didn't dare to try that option because I thought it's quite impossible.

Nilla

I started a Nordic game yesterday on harsh with no schools. I can't say much about it, I've only played a few years. Farming is really bad. I have the impression @Tom Sawyer , that you've changed the potatoes from the last version. They grow even less, than I remember (or is it just bad luck with several cold years in a row?) I don't know yet about apples, the trees are still growing. But I've made some orchards of different sizes, to test how they work.

There's one thing shown on the picture, that I've been thinking about for quite some time but always forgot. I have no idea, if it's possible to do anything about it: It's April. In a vanilla game/Nordic game on mild, ther's really spring, but on harsh it's still winter temperatures. The trees however; orchard trees and birches have leaves. This looks weird in the deep snow.

Abandoned

@Nilla it will be interesting to see how these orchards do.  I see orchards on hills,  Is that Better Fields mod? If I'm not mistaken they take longer for farmer to harvest on hill, but they look nice :)

Nilla

It's not "Better Fields", it's just the orchards in the Nordic mod. But as far as I remember, you can do the same, if you use "Better Fields", CC or several other mods. It doesn't take longer to harvest the orchards, because they grow at the slopes. Maybe it can appear that way, because many of the mods, where you can build the orchards on a hill, also are more dense; more trees to harvest at the same space, compared to the vanilla orchards.

Nilla

I'm sorry to tell, there will be no more reports from my fresh started village of Dryd. I've got a "new" computer. Before Christmas I had some problems with internet on my last computer and my son gave me a "new" one for Christmas. I use to inherit his "old"computers. It's very good for me; every couple of years a still quite new computer. Today he visited us and brought this latest computer. I hope it's better than my last one, but we will see. In any case, I will not load all too much from my old computer to this one. Certainly not any started games.

So, here we go; fresh from the start!