News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mark -vs- DS Industry Mining Beta.05 - Round 4!

Started by MarkAnthony, September 06, 2019, 03:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

4,5 heart looks nice but not so nice if it takes up to 90% of the production away.  :-\  And it took long; these some 30 years. I had the herbalists built a long time. I also had bought a lot of herbs but my other games have shown me how careful you need to be.

So, my advice; unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing; NO HERBALISTS!

MarkAnthony

YEAR FOUR:

THIS YEAR'S GOAL:
The smelters should get done this year and I will have the Blacksmith make Bronze tools when they are. The forester hub still needs to be cleared of all debris and hopefully I will get the 2nd Log House in the forester hub built and then the Forester Lodge and Gatherers Hut too. Just concentrating on that section this year.

YEAR 4 - FIRST SIX MONTHS:

• March:

• April: Bronze Bloomery Smelter finally built, assigned another Blacksmith to do the work.

• May: Iron Bloomery Smelter done, net 30 Iron. Took the Blacksmith from the completed iron bloomery and put him to work as a Laborer; the forest hub area still needs to be cleaned up. I have 4 Laborers at this point for clearing, and 1 Builder let loose on the roads that were neglected the last 2.5 years.

• June: Unpaused 2nd Log House in the forest hub area since they are in the area clearing it of debris. Still got my tool crisis going on 13 need tools now, the Smith's Hearth Blacksmith can't keep up with Copper Tool production. I'll suffer through it and wait until the bronze bloomery is fully worked. Another new Laborer to help.

• July: 2nd Log House in the forester area has it's materials already, the road builder will probably make his way there. No rush really. Just got my 2nd case of Atrophy and once again it's a Farmer. Another new Laborer.

• August: Since I have 6 Laborers in the forest hub area clearing it I unpaused the Gatherer's Hut and Forester Lodge. Atrophy gone.
YEAR 4 - LAST SIX MONTHS:

• September: One more Laborer. Things are going so slow without tools 13 people now need, bronze bloomery just sitting at 55%, pfft!

• October: Bronze Bloomery Smelter done, net 33 Bronze. Setting Smith's Hearth Blacksmith to making Bronze Tool, will also set another Blacksmith at the Grindstone to enhance them. These need to last!

• November: Smith's Hearth Blacksmith hasn't made any Bronze Tool yet since he finished his last batch of Copper Tool first, went from 13 needing tools to 0! Progress finally! Gatherers Hut is done, 1 Gatherer. All crops and orchards are finally harvested. Apple Orchards net -18 from the previous year which in itself was less than the year before that. The Apple trees looked sickly this year lol. The Pumpkin fields produced 464 less than last year. New Pepper field produced 382, that's bad; even worse is the original Pepper field which gave me 83 this year!!! What's going on here?! A total loss on all food this year. Forester Lodge done, 1 Forester. 2nd forester Log House done, a family of 4 moved in: 2 parents and 2 Laborers.

• December: Got enough Laborers now so I am going to make the Woodcutter full time. I neglected Firewood dealing with my metal and tool issue that the Banies took all my Charcoal, now I have neither Firewood or Charcoal for heating. Woodcutter told me, "I got this!".

• January:

• February: I'm a long ways off from that Charcoal dream I had, need 315 Logs only have 57. I unpaused that Charcoal Pile to get it filled with materials over time. It'll probably be a couple more years at least; we'll see! A child was born, the town won't die off after all (had adults and Students only for a while) unless... my food yields have another aweful year.
END OF YEAR SUMMARY: What the heck happened to my food production? That forest hub area I had set for clearing wasn't far away; I am a bit short on homes so maybe some travel issues there but I did get several new Laborers so the Farmers didn't need to hang around in the forest hub area if that's what they were doing. I didn't watch them since I was too concerned with metal and tool production. I didn't even realize I was having a food issue until I saw the late harvest and the super-low counts! Whatever, we were all having a bad year so let's forgive and move on!

END OF YEAR COUNTS:

• Population: 20/1/1(forgot to add this stat before)
  • Homeless: 2
  • Homes: 4
  • Families: 15

• Laborers: 3
  • Builders: 2

• Logs: 0
  • Stone: 107
  • Iron: 43
  • Firewood: 0
  • Ore: 530
  • Tools: 12
  • Food: 4,064
  • Clothes: 8

• Clothed: 100%
  • Educated: 95%
  • Health: 0 Hearts
  • Happiness: 3 Stars
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

Nilla

QuoteThe forester hub still needs to be cleared of all debris
What do you mean? Why do you put so much effort into clearing this area? Foresters are excellent "clearer" you don´t need to do that in advance (unless you really need the stone or what there is right now at the moment).
Can´t explain what happened to your food production. Bad weather in combination with no tools maybe. Look what happens at the fields the next season and try to find out.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Nilla on September 08, 2019, 03:08:56 PM
What do you mean? Why do you put so much effort into clearing this area? Foresters are excellent "clearer"
Again, just the way us newbies are taught when we watch videos or read forum posts here, it's common practice isn't it to clean up the radius circles of miscellaneous stuff that don't belong to the building in that circle? Sure, the Forester is great at picking up stuff like you said, any tile, any where, any time but doesn't that also means the more he picks up the less he's doing his normal job?

And yeah I needed the Stone at the time and the Copper Ore during my tool crisis so I took it from that area since it wasn't all that far and it helps the Forester when it becomes time for him to do his thing. I have zero logs as of last logout; so the more logs he gets me the better.

irrelevant

Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 08, 2019, 03:43:35 PM
Quote from: Nilla on September 08, 2019, 03:08:56 PM
What do you mean? Why do you put so much effort into clearing this area? Foresters are excellent "clearer"
the more he picks up the less he's doing his normal job?
His normal job is clearing out all that stuff. Unless I need the stone urgently, I always let the forester manage his circle. He'll get it all himself, eventually, and leave the laborers free to do other tasks.

brads3

time and a place for this idea. i do send laborers, WHEN THEY HAVE TIME, to collect stone from forest areas.this is so those areas will produce more food. this is a very low priority job and does not get doe all the time every map.

there are several drawbacks to clearing land completely. 1>if you have the resources you will use them. gather all the stone, and then "hey i have so much i can build and build."then you run out.
2> cut all the trees and now the start wood cutter is less productive. he will need to walk way over to whereever work is being done to find logs.his supply pile will always be empty.
3> depending on mod setups, food does spawn from stuff that you just cleared.now there is less food close by for the farmers in the fall.this "extra food or herbs" can be quite handy if you run short.

it does look better for pics to cut down the trees. it can be handy to clear an area that will become a huge pasture or city.so clear this year, before building next year. 

MarkAnthony

Brad, I wasn't clear-cutting the forester hub, just removing ore and stone and clay - that's it. Those don't spawn food in anyone's game.

EDIT: I was being sarcastic / depends on how you read your comment.  More importantly, I forgot to put this ---->  :P

Discrepancy

Thanks for all the informative and interesting discussions :)

The variables we have that alter and dictate what the herbalist does are few, and I'm still trying to work out if the changes I'm making are doing anything or instead altering the function of the doctor. This last week I haven't had time to do any modding or testing, so this week it will be a priority to work more on the health elements of this mod.

@MarkAnthony though it might seem the better option to build a large charcoal pile, I would caution against this at the start of the game and instead build a series of smaller piles. Never build a pile any larger than the amount of logs you have at that time, the same goes for the bloomery smelters and their requirements.  I will generally build smaller ones first, and once expired not bother demolishing and instead build a group of 5-6, and only demolish the spent piles slowly over many years when I need the room, adding a new one to be built when required.

The large drop in food production could be due to a combined, layering effect of a tool crisis resulting in poor work output, with low health and moderately happy bannies who will be idling more often, and not achieve the desired work to be happy in their job. So they idle more, look for a tool that isn't there, and then food which may be low in number and not a broad range for nutrition. In this mod you are using more fuel in homes, so if you have a low supply they will be competing for the fuel, and having to return home regularly to replenish supplies.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Discrepancy on September 08, 2019, 11:14:27 PM
The large drop in food production could be due to a combined, layering effect of a tool crisis resulting in poor work output, with low health and moderately happy bannies who will be idling more often, and not achieve the desired work to be happy in their job. So they idle more, look for a tool that isn't there, and then food which may be low in number and not a broad range for nutrition. In this mod you are using more fuel in homes, so if you have a low supply they will be competing for the fuel, and having to return home regularly to replenish supplies.
I know tools were a large part of it, but it's likely also what you said about competing for fuel; I was so focused on getting that metal made to make tools that I didn't even notice my fuel shortage happening in the background as well.

irrelevant

I did something similar, got so focused on the metal chase that I lost track of getting baby Bannies made.