News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Farming Giant

Started by canis39, August 25, 2014, 07:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canis39

Has anyone here played Farming Giant? I played for a few hours over the weekend and once I got past its tendency to crash, I had a lot of fun. The scale is amazing - you start out with nothing but some money, but you can end up creating an enormous farming conglomerate, automatically fulfilling huge orders (25,000 cows?!). Or if you'd prefer, you can just stick with a few pigpens and a corn field here and there. :)

This video series helped me figure some stuff out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXfoTkjRgfQ

borreh1973

I thought buying this game can be fun. But, researched information on this and disliked to find many players criticizing the current situation of developing left.
For now, I gave up buying it.
Read more comments below:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/259910/discussions/0/666824801380503676/

canis39

I read that too - after I bought the game already.

Since I already owned it, I figured I'd give it a shot...and I'm glad I did. It is a lot of fun. It's hard to recommend on Steam because so many people have had problems with crashes, but I have been lucky so far. If you can get it cheap and you like farming simulators I'd say go for it.

slink

Does it require Steam to play, if you buy it on DVD?

canis39

No I believe the Steam version was added later. If you buy the DVD (or even download the non-Steam version) you can play without Steam.

It is a fun little game. I have barely scratched the surface. I bought a couple of meat cows and a couple of milk cows and they proliferated very quickly so I've been selling them for a good profit. You have to either grow or buy grass for them but grass is cheap so it's pretty easy to be modestly profitable with just cows. But...I decided to expand into dairy products. Started with milk, then moved to cheese...and that's where I am now. Gotta figure out how to sell cheese! Eventually I need to figure out how to plant some of the various crops, too, and maybe get a barn or two and a silo and maybe a mill or a butchery or...  Well. Anyway. I've barely scratched the surface!

slink

It sounds like fun.  I liked SimFarm.   :)

ivorymalinov

Do you have to drive your own farm equipment with this one? I tried one and you had to steer and hook up your own trailers, etc, and I totally sucked at it. I can do it in real life no problem, but these games make it more difficult than it needs to be.

canis39

No driving in this one, it's just a tycoon/management game. I do have Agricultural Simulator (and I have looked at Farming Simulator) and those both involve driving your own equipment as well as some economic management. I will play Agricultural Simulator eventually - I do own it after all - but for now I'm okay with just managing the farm. Why drive your own equipment when you can hire people to do that for you?  ;D

I took a screenshot of my farm: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=308828989

I've automated a few production chains: I'm growing apples and delivering them to the juice factory to make apple juice to sell. I'm taking my corn and sending it to my mill, then delivering the corn flour to the bakery. I'm also taking the eggs from the chicken coops and delivering those to the bakery. The corn flour plus the eggs equals cookies, which I'm selling. My butchery is taking in meat cows and producing beef and leather, which are both being sold. And my milk cows are producing milk, which gets sold periodically. Oh, and I have a big field of millet, which I heard was a profitable grain and thus far that seems true.

The manual is very basic so I've found getting into the detailed production chains can be trial and error. For example, the bakery can produce 4 different types of bread, plus cookies and cake. What ingredients do you need to make cake? I have no idea. I can theorize...but it doesn't say anywhere. For cookies, I just lucked into it - they happen to be made from corn flour and eggs, which are two products my farm produces in great quantity.

You start the campaign play with $1 million on Level 0. I am up to $10 million on Level 9. I'm enjoying it so far! There is so much I have not yet explored. Pigs at the pigpen, logs at the sawmill, yogurt at the dairy...I'm not even sure what to do next.

Fellow Villager

sorry for necroposting....but farming giant continuosly crash to me