News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

MOD:Soybeans

Started by JamieIdle, October 25, 2014, 02:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Aren't we all foodies now?

My 10-year old granddaughter has become a serious Food Network fan, so we get cooking shows all day long when she's home from school (she has Brittle Bone Disease, so broken bones are a regular occurrence). This morning I "watched" a show about how to make fruit salad.  :D

slink

I miss Julia Child.  It was always nice to drink along with the show.   ;D

irrelevant

Quote from: slink on October 30, 2014, 08:51:28 AM
I miss Julia Child.  It was always nice to drink along with the show.   ;D
Last year we bought a complete set of the The French Chef on DVD. We'd have one playing in the kitchen while we were cooking together. We were drinking right along as well. Julia was a treasure.

Bobbi

50 % of what I watch is on the food network. Chopped, next food network star, best home cook, etc. Was the General manager at a now defunct restaurant chain for many years, and was in the food industry for more than thirty years.

slink

The only cooking show I have watched in the past year was one episode that featured children cooking.  I kind of enjoyed that.

rkelly17

I have to admit to being a Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives fan. Guy does occasionally go to a place that makes stuff with soy beans, but most of the time I can watch people cooking and eating stuff I shouldn't eat any more and get some vicarious pleasure.

slink

Remember A&W drive-ins, where a waitress came and took your order at the car window and brought it to you on a tray that hung on that same window?  The root beer came in glass mugs.  And then they would refill your glass gallon jug with some more of their yummy root beer.  The burgers were not as good as the Whoppers at Burger King, but the root beer more than made up for them.

Denis de la Rive

This is turning into a food tread, which is nice, not a foodie, more like my coach, eats 7 times a day because he has to, but I do watch Hell's Kitchen, that must count for something. At our house my companion is a foodie, which unfortunately conflicts with my allergies, not to food but to the airborne results of cooking  :o , after SF, the Food Network is a second choice. I saw a report about a teal pumpkin movement aimed at making halloween more friendly to kids with food allergies, giving non food items to include everyone.  :)

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 31, 2014, 07:42:23 AM
Remember A&W drive-ins, where a waitress came and took your order at the car window and brought it to you on a tray that hung on that same window?  The root beer came in glass mugs.  And then they would refill your glass gallon jug with some more of their yummy root beer.  The burgers were not as good as the Whoppers at Burger King, but the root beer more than made up for them.

Ah, the good old days. Driving North up the San Joaquin Valley in the Summer on old US 99 the A&Ws were great places to stop because the drive-in was under a big shade shed and the root beer was ice cold. Spent a lot of hours in the A&W in our own town after school.

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 01, 2014, 08:09:38 AM
Quote from: slink on October 31, 2014, 07:42:23 AM

Ah, the good old days. Driving North up the San Joaquin Valley in the Summer on old US 99 the A&Ws were great places to stop because the drive-in was under a big shade shed and the root beer was ice cold. Spent a lot of hours in the A&W in our own town after school.
At my high school, White Castle was the place to go afterward.  Home of the ten-cent Belly Bomber.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 08, 2014, 03:06:49 PM
At my high school, White Castle was the place to go afterward.  Home of the ten-cent Belly Bomber.

That's the difference between going to HS in the Midwest and going to HS on the West Coast--well, at least one difference. The first time I actually ate at a White Castle was a couple of years ago while visiting friends in the suburbs of Chicago. Prior to that my only exposure was in a book about funky fast-food architecture.

slink

A&W was out in the suburbs and none of us kids had cars.  Heck, I couldn't even get a license until I was a senior.  My reward for getting the highest grade in Driver's Ed was to be allowed to have a license a year early, but I was only 14 and it wasn't legal so I lost out on that.  Anyway, we walked to the White Castle, when we went there which wasn't often because some of us had to be home promptly after school and you had to buy ten Belly Bombers at a time.

JamieIdle2.0

This thread hasn't been about a mod for a while now. lol

rkelly17

Quote from: JamieIdle2.0 on November 12, 2014, 03:17:39 PM
This thread hasn't been about a mod for a while now. lol

We do wander off the point from time to time. What was this supposed to be about? Oh, right, soy beans. No wonder we started talking about hamburgers.

slink