News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - SW Tequilaville - Story 14

Started by Abandoned, June 10, 2017, 01:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@brads3 although I do compost sawdust in real life garden I am not creating a production chain for a mod I can't use. I don't know where you get the idea that I'm against cc when you know how long I've been waiting and hoping for cc modulars especially wanting to do a Native American story with teepees and buffalo. And I love those old weathered buildings and the deco animals and vegetables. So much good stuff in cc mod yet users don't seem satisfied and want everything else connected to it.   ???  I think it will be a long wait now for modular. Oh well.

brads3

i know but i thought 1 reason you didn't use CC was the production chains.i do hope EB stays and i think he would be good at the indian ideas. you could use fertilizer in RED's stables or a new greenhouse. :-\

Abandoned

@brads3 you are right there, I am not a big fan of production chains especially for items I don't need.  I didn't like all the building requirements and upgrades much either and just too much of everything. Wouldn't be bad in small batches.  And I used the iron is iron mod but couldn't use much of anything else, it would just freeze up.  I tried several of the starts with the different trees and it just froze up.  Just too much for this laptop, lot of good stuff in there. I did pretty good with just cc alone and that verdant plain small map, don't think I'd risk doing a story with it.

Abandoned

Chapter 5  Year 5

By spring, Leilanie got her covering and a new gatherer's hut was built.  We occasionally saw pretty blue flax growing wild especially after a light rain.  One of the 4 newly arrived southerners said those wild flowers could be gathered and made into linen for cooler summer clothes.  Well, who could complain about that?  Only Braylor who has been making iron tools and leather clothes in the workshop, he said he'd have no idea how to make clothes out of flowers.   A linen weaver workstation was built next to his workshop, someone else could do that work. 

The new flax gatherer's husband went to work at the forester lodge. We were always short of logs but as with everything else, tree cutting drew in a round of complaints.  No one wanted to give up whatever spots of shade they could find and enjoy, but we needed wood, and we needed wells.  The wood we did cut and build with dried quickly in the heat and hot southwest wind.  We were concerned with the possibility of fires breaking out especially in areas far from the river.  The winter snow always relieved our worries somewhat and the cold temperatures made a hot bowl of chili con carne even more enjoyable.

Abandoned

Chapter 6 

In spring of year 6, 3 nomads arrived from the north, flood victims seeking relief from the cool and damp.  They were a bit under the weather when they arrived, suffering from the heat after crossing the mountain and desert.  After a day of rest in the shade they were as right as rain but their condition did prompt us to build a healing spa just in case anyone became ill and in need of medical attention.  The couple said they planned to have a lot more children so a big house was built for them by the newly cleared crop field. It was too late to plant it this season but the irrigation canal was extended and next years crop would be well watered.

We seemed to be always short of logs especially after chopping a winter's supply of firewood.  To resolve the the tug of war between cool shade in the summer versus warm fires in the winter we used what logs we could spare to build a bridge across the river to the north.  There were a lot of trees growing there making it an ideal spot for a 2nd forester lodge.  When the first snow arrived, builders and laborers warmed up with hot bowls of chili con carne.  We all enjoyed hot meals that winter but were looking forward to a cool lettuce salad to go with our tortilla bread next year.  In late summer, Alizeth the seed trader had lettuce seeds and we just had to make a trade.

The cooler temperatures of early spring year 7 were perfect planting weather for our lettuce crop.  By then our wood and firewood supplies were very low and we had more housing and a forester lodge to built.  We had more workers now that 7 more nomads arrived.  We also built a new tool smith.  We needed more trade goods and we were getting a good trade value for our iron tools.  The old workshop could now be used to make leather clothes for trade while the weaver next door made linen clothes for us to wear.  Things seemed to be going well and complaints now were becoming few and far between.

Nilla

I do like how you use the irrigation. It looks really nice and natural, the way you've made it!

This is an area, where normally very few trees grow. I would use it in my story and trade for logs; have to trade for logs. Of cause this is Banished. You can build foresters everywhere and trees will grow. But the same way as your fields would have grown without the irrigation canals, I would have made it "impossible for myself" to grow a large amount of trees. A small port for building materials (Kid's raw houses) will make it possible to buy some every year.

embx61

Yeah, it looks indeed nice. Great job Abandoned.

I had read so many request's over the last year for some sort of Irrigation that I decided when Bartender found a workaround so we could have moving water to try to create a set.
I think it turned out not too bad and have added in the last update today 2 ghosted pieces which fit with the NMT Canals.
Now everything is updated with bug fixes and added stuff I go to work on the natural channels again.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Abandoned

@Nilla and @embx61 thank you both, the irrigation system is really cool, I am enjoying it especially on this terrain.  My plan was to cut trees and use the empty space so they wouldn't grow back and put cactus all over but .. I know it's a game but I just can't do it especially when I saw the deer under the trees in the shade, I like trees. I think they can grow here because they are getting Banished winter snow in the desert.   But you read my mind again regarding another trading post, I have kid's tiny trader.   I did not plan story locations good, when we got spring here I went North, now we have heat wave and I am in the desert.  I just came in from outside working in my garden and I could use a dunk in embox's irrigation canal myself.   :)

brads3

i wish you would quit sending the heatwaves to me. every time i cool off you send more. i see 90's in a day or 2 again.

Abandoned

sorry @brads3 if our heat waves keep coming your way then brace yourself for another round of storms  :(

Abandoned

Chapter 7   

In early spring of year 8, we had enough trade goods to buy flax seed just in time for spring planting.  The wild flax that was gathered was not enough to keep a full time weaver busy.  I took over the job for a while and only worked in the cool of early morning during the summer.  With a cultivated crop the hours would be longer and a shop covering would be needed for the heat of the day and for winter.  The new fishing pier also got a covering built over it. 

By spring of year 9, our population had grown to 74, 47 adults and 27 children, so we had extra workers for fishing, hunting, and forestry, and we certainly needed wood and firewood.  Not only did we need logs for new housing and other building projects but for the toolmaker as well.  A tiny chopper would help make sure the smoking shed had enough firewood for the extra fish being caught.  It took a while to get enough logs to build the corner store and new school.  Sadly several children, my own daughter included, missed getting an education because the first classroom was full.  The irrigation canal also required more logs so it could be extended again, we were planting lettuce for summer salads and a pecan orchard.

We would need more housing for the 4 nomads that arrived. I personally really liked the house that was built on the other side of the cemetery.  The wood was beautiful and the rocking chair sitting in the shade of the porch looked very inviting.

When the boatman arrived we traded for agave seed. Our SW Tequilaville would have tequila but before we focus our attention on tequila making we wanted to be sure our food and tool supplies were stable.  Our surface iron was some distance away now and as our population grows so must our food production.  We thought it best to start construction a 2nd trading post just in case.

There was one final building project to do before we began tequila making, and for once everyone in town agreed.

Abandoned

Note:   This map and story continuously reminds me of one of my favorite old movies "Lilies of the Field" starring Sidney Poitier who won an Academy Award for his performance.  He played a handyman who had car problems crossing the Arizona desert and ended up helping a group of German immigrant nuns on a rundown Banished type farm.  He taught them English and ended up being their contractor and with the help of Mexican immigrants, he built them a chapel.  The movie is often humorous and totally delightful and entertaining even if it is in black and white from 1963.  The theme song "Amen" is also one of my favorite songs.  The southern gospel song was also recorded by the Impressions in the 1960's.   If you've seen the movie I think you will agree, I just had to add it here.  So this chapter is a salute to one of my favorite movies, songs, and contractors, and it tells a part of that movie, changed slightly to fit into my story.

Edit:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-6wSxKLhbo    (Sadly, clip cuts off at start of part about insurance stated below).

Chapter 8

Everyone in town agreed we needed to build a chapel before we did anything else.  Everyone in town helped even if only by bringing building materials to the building site.  Even Deforces who was now working in the Mission kitchen brought chili con carne and tortillas for the worker's lunch.  It was important to these workers for their children to have faith.  When Deforces was asked if that was why he was there helping he said, to him, life is here on this earth, he can't see further so he can't believe further, but if all these other people were right, then he had paid his insurance.

The work progressed slowly because at first we did not have enough building materials and then our builders had to take frequent breaks in the shade because of the heat.  It was truly a labor of love, and progress it did and when the walls were put up and the floor boards all laid, it was our favorite builder, who we called our contractor, who put the wooden cross up on the roof.  It was the most beautiful chapel we had ever seen and it was ready for our first down home Sunday meeting.

And then on the day of that first meeting several beautiful stargazer lilies began blooming in the field next to the chapel.  I remembered back in Smallville there was a Holy Book in which a man named Matthew wrote the words of a holy man named Jesus who said "consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin, and yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."  (Matthew 6:28-29).  So I recited that story at the chapel meeting and then everyone sang A AA men, A AA men, A A men, Amen, Amen.

Edit:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn6w255CGkk

So okay then, the chapel was built and now it was time for fiesta and tequila.

Abandoned

Chapter 9

The new trading post was completed by early spring of year 10.  Rill said it would be no problem for him to manage both ports as long as we had the trade goods for him to collect.   Although our food surplus was good at the time we felt more secure knowing we now had insurance in the form of another source of food should we have a crop failure.  We felt justified for our concern when it began to snow after spring planting was well underway.  The 4 nomads who arrived from the south had never seen snow.

By early summer our tequila production chain was well underway also.  Two agave fields were cleared and planted, the foundation was laid for a large vegetable storage barn, and construction of a cool adobe housing complex had begun.  Our latest arrivals thought it was much cooler here than from where they came from so they did not mind working in the fields in the sun.

The first resource merchant arrived at the new trading post but as of now we were self-sufficient and needed nothing.

By spring of year 11 the agave masher was up and running making agave pulp from last years crop.  More of the adobe houses had been built but the Mission hostel was still waiting for building materials to be delivered.  So when 11 nomads arrived from the west, we were glad they didn't want to stay, they wanted to go farther north, and who could blame them.  And who could blame us for being glad to see them go.  We were short of rock and firewood and our education rate was only 31%.

By autumn the foundation for the tequila distillery was laid but was waiting for building materials. Wood and stone had been used in the construction of a wall on the south end of town.  The hot southwest wind blew too much desert dust into town.  We discover there was quite a bit of stone and iron and trees alongside the mountain down to the south.  There was little surface stone and iron to be found anywhere else, we would need to consider another source soon.  The resource merchant had neither when he arrived in late autumn but he did have coal which we traded iron tools for.  We would make steal tools until we ran out of coal.  We would collect what iron and stone we could now that the high temperatures had dropped down considerably and harvesting was complete.

Abandoned

Chapter 10

The builders also preferred working during the fall and winter months.  That winter of year 11, the distillery was started and finished in no time at all.  Laborers venturing farther afield at this time discovered a sacred standing stone in the small forest along the creek while searching for iron.  When the weather warmed in the spring of year 12, the townspeople began taking a walk in the shade of the trees to take a look at it.

On the opposite side of town, the irrigation system was extended and land for another orchard was cleared.  We weren't sure what we wanted to plant and were eager to see what the seed merchant would bring.  It was the food merchant who arrived first but we made our decision when we saw the fresh peaches he had.  The seed merchant came often so we knew we wouldn't have long to wait for peach seeds.

Our wood and firewood supply had stabilized since we had 2 small forester stands set up, one north of the new orchard and the other north of the mission hostel.  We noticed for the first time our food production was lower than the amount of food we used, not by much but was cause for concern.  We added another fishing pier.  And since we were again out of iron we built a bridge across the small creek to the south to collect what iron we could see there.  There was some controversy when we built a tequila trading post, the men wanted a tequila bar and a fiesta.  Well, maybe next year.

kid1293

One request I got over at Banished Info was to add more buildings
to Tequila mod. Do you think it is working as it is?
I don't plan to update now.

One more thing - are you going to build a Mission complex?