News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Red's new Work In Progress thread

Started by RedKetchup, November 19, 2017, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

wait it is not the same problem as @Abandoned  had ? at some point ? because , i personally didnt made "2 version with 1 darker" i only made 1 version

can you show me some picture ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

purringcat

I've dismantled MM8 but will try and recreate it.   Way too much stuff in there that I'll never use.  I need to remove all mods, clean the registry and start over.    Will post a picture asap.   Will take a picture of original version first.

galensgranny

@RedKetchup , I have tried out your grocery store and the others, but find the radius is too small.  I wish it was larger than you have it.  After building the shops, there isn't much room for many homes to be covered.

Also, the name of your Hardware Store doesn't really fit.   I thought at first from the name "Hardware" that it was going to sell tools.   A better descriptive name would be something like "Building Materials Store", or "Materials Store", maybe "RK's Building Supplies".

Nilla

Good @galensgranny that you start to talk about these shops. I wanted too, but always forgot.

The circle of the grocery store is indeed small, but that's fine with me. I find, that it should be a big difference between a regular large market and such a small store. You must concider, if you use the NMT houses there's a lot of homes on a small area. Maybe it could be a little bit bigger, but definitely much smaller than an ordinary market.

The names of the stores don't bother me, maybe because English isn't my native language. But of cause, names that don't confuse anyone is good. I wanted to talk about the content in the stores. I had some trouble in my game.  I find the Hardware store holds too many different kind of material, opposite to the Supply and goods store, that I never had any use for. If you want a Hardware store to supply your smelter/blacksmiths, it gets full of firewood and bricks and if you build one in a new area because you want building materials there, it gets filled with ores and fodder.

I find something like this would be better:

Grocery and textiles - they are good and worked fine in my settlement

Hardware - tools, firewood, clothes, herbs (things people need that's not food)
Building materials - logs, stone, produced building materials like bricks, lumber and glass (I would exclude iron it's better off close to blacksmiths)
Supply and goods - ores, minerals, iron, coal, logs (materials to supply smelter, toolmaker, lumber mills, woodcutters)

I know, there are logs in two store, I find it make sense. Maybe I´ve forgotten something, this is just a brief suggestion for you to think about @RedKetchup and for discussion.

RedKetchup

the big vanilla market is 14x14' has 45' radius.
the medium market is 10x10 has 30' radius.
those special stores are 4x5' have 20' radius.

whats about 45, 35, 25 ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

purringcat

I'm having a terrible time getting in game pictures.   The Banished logo and menu are imposed over everything and I can't figure out how to get rid of them.   

Anyway, here's a mangled shot of the green house.   The darker one is with MM8 and the lighter one is with just a few mods and no MM8.
And the sun direction doesn't impact how dark the house looks.   

galensgranny

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 01, 2018, 06:16:15 AM
the big vanilla market is 14x14' has 45' radius.
the medium market is 10x10 has 30' radius.
those special stores are 4x5' have 20' radius.

whats about 45, 35, 25 ?

That seems good. 

kid1293

About darker Colorful Little House

RK fixed the naming of the AO-map in his separate Colorful Little House mod.
The conflict was with my Colonial Houses. I also changed name to prevent further conflict.

I guess @kralyerg hasn't updated MM - so there is a conflicting name.

purringcat

Kid... your Colonial Houses mod contained my favorite Clothing store.    The little blue one where you can still have 1 leather and 1 wool and get a warm coat.   It's sitting on top of the MM8 mods and I'm now a happy Banished player.   ;D

galensgranny

Quote from: Nilla on March 01, 2018, 02:07:24 AM
Good @galensgranny t

I find something like this would be better:

Grocery and textiles - they are good and worked fine in my settlement

Hardware - tools, firewood, clothes, herbs (things people need that's not food)
Building materials - logs, stone, produced building materials like bricks, lumber and glass (I would exclude iron it's better off close to blacksmiths)
Supply and goods - ores, minerals, iron, coal, logs (materials to supply smelter, toolmaker, lumber mills, woodcutters)

I know, there are logs in two store, I find it make sense. Maybe I´ve forgotten something, this is just a brief suggestion for you to think about @RedKetchup and for discussion.

@Nilla, I see how you are thinking to sort the items. 

But, herbs and clothes should not be in what is called "hardware".  In English, people would not think by the name that there might be clothes and herbs in a hardware store.  That needs a name change.

(Nilla's idea) Hardware - tools, firewood, clothes, herbs (things people need that's not food)

It would make more sense in English for that shop to be called "Supplies and goods".  In English, with the word "supplies", by itself, people usually consider it to be things they need to use for daily life, like you had them sorted.  It's just that the name "Hardware store" does not match.

Then what Nilla listed as:

That should get rid of the name "Supply and goods".  Ores, minerals, etc. are what in English would be called "raw materials". 

I think that iron should be in the same shop with construction materials.  Iron is used in construction of some building.  It can be in in another shop too, if desired.

I don't understand why plain textiles would be in the same shop as food, but then clothing is not.  It seems to me clothing and textiles are better to be together.

Nilla

OK, I don't know about the names. I can live with "soft things" in a hardware store. But of cause it's always good, if the names don't confuse anyone.

I mainly care about the function. I want these markets to work in a settlement. And as I said, I find there could be some improvements. You misunderstood me @galensgranny, you would have known, if you had built all these markets; textiles and food are not in the same. I only wanted to say; these two markets work good, the way they are. Sorry if I didn't express myself well enough. However, the textile market wouldn't work, if it also contains clothes.

Why?

Let's look at the function of this market: You locate one or a few tailors close. A vendor collects textiles from all over the map and the tailors work very well. What will happen, if clothes would be stored here, too? Convenient to put them there directly from the close tailor. Yes, that's right. BUT: Vendors don't steal from eachother! That means, that these clothes stay in that small store, until they are consumed. None of them gets to a normal market, where they would be better needed. The distribution of clothes breaks down. And what happens, when the settlement grows and you want to have more clothes in your stores? This market will be full of clothes and there will be no space left for textiles and the meaning of this store is gone.

Similar my suggestion not to store iron together with other building materials. Most of the iron is needed to produce tools. You want the blacksmith to be efficient with enough iron close. To me it's less inconvenient for laborers to get a small amount of iron far away from the building site, than for the blacksmith to get it from a building location, who knows where.

Turis

brads3

NILLA i really am not trying to argue with you. what you said is generally correct. at least in theory. i think markets can be improved on and used to make games work better.not just RED's mod but all markets and any game setup. we all have different ideas but seem to agree there must be ways to use markets better.
     though markets don't "steal" from each other,i have seen some that will help each other. once they have too many of an item,they move excess goods to a different market. they can be set up to hold x% of varrying goods,so they won't fill with just clothes.it might have been SMURPH who brought that up before.the market vendor can become so busy trying to locate certain materials that they fail to stock the items you do have including food.this can slow down the working bannies production rate. either they don't have enough materials to work or need to travel farther for food.
      the last map i did,i used a lot of pine markets. since i didn't have a pine forest i didn't have those items.the markets would fill to around 45% only.the remaining space is reserved for items i didn't have.so say you set 1 to supply a village and hope it will bring logs to keep the woodcutter busy.the vendor will stock a set amount of logs and no more.as the woodcutter uses the logs,the vendor will go find more constantly.thereby taking time away from moving food or other items.if the vendor did get busy somewhere else,the logs would get used up and the woodcutter would be forced to find them himself.
           all vendors are not the same. each modder has oded the markets differently. it is interesting to watch them and see how they work.some are more helpful to other workers,some are more willing to move excess stock to a nearby market,there are hard-coded mysteries to the vendors as well.

Turis

Let's take a look at this:

1.- Fair: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fair?s=t, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fair
2.- Market: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/market, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/market
3.- Marketplace: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/marketplace, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/marketplace - Look forum is synonym of marketplace so this forum is like a marketplace. You browse the goods and you "buy" whichever you like the most. Just look at the different exhibits. Hey, in this exhibit they're selling clothes from Greg's tailor shop. I really love this market. We're lucky that the bad weather went away so we could held this market this weekend. There are a lot of people from the neighboring towns.
In my hometown, there is a yearly market held at the lasts days of Spring and you can buy about everything, mostly clothes. It is held in the middle of a street so people can walk up and looking at the different exhibits, mostly second-hand used or old clothes at really cheap prices. Sometimes, the local stores use it to clear their storage for new ítems. And this is very common in most towns and cities in Galicia, Spain.

Wow, I don't usually write so much.
And that's how I view markets in game.