News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Red's new Work In Progress thread

Started by RedKetchup, November 19, 2017, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

so ? what you people has decided about those markets ?

meanwhile i added 2 start conditions dificulties....
the traditional Adam & Eve,
and an alternate Hard which give you 1 seed in exchange of a few goods on the start.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

how soon? markets i think is an on-going discussion. not sure there is a solid answere yet. i mentioned the carts cause they can be more item specific.like logs for the woodcutter or mineral or stone for a blacksmith,textiles for a tailor,etc.

galensgranny

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 02, 2018, 08:11:39 PM
so ? what you people has decided about those markets ?

I haven't deeply considered it yet. I haven't played near as much as Nilla has, so for now, I am fine with the way Nilla would like the markets sorted, BUT, use the new names I suggested so it is more clear in English what might be in those shops.   If other people have more input, more changes could be made.  I'd be interested in further thoughts from Brad

Nilla's grouping of items, my suggested name change for some of the shops:

(Name is fine) Grocery and textiles - they are good and worked fine in my settlement

Hardware   Change to "Supplies and goods" (or something very similar) - tools, firewood, clothes, herbs (things people need that's not food)

(Name is fine)  Building materials - logs, stone, produced building materials like bricks, roof tiles, lumber and glass
(Nilla wants to exclude iron  from the Building Materials shop, thinking it is better off close to blacksmiths.  I think iron makes sense in a building materials store since some buildings use it, but maybe they don't in your RedKetchup Editor's choice mod.)

Supply and goods  Change to "Raw Materials" (or something similar)- ores, minerals, iron, coal, logs (materials to supply smelter, toolmaker, lumber mills, woodcutters)

Maybe also add a few more descriptions of kinds of items in each shop that will show when people hover over the icon in game.

galensgranny

Also, Red, would you make at least one F key variant for the walls of the shops?  One that has a tannish or reddish color so it would match better with the upper levels of the housing that can fit on top of the shops?.  It would be great if you did all of the choices, but if only one, maybe the sand bricks.

Nilla

@RedKetchup, it's your mod, YOU make the decisions!

It's nice, when you listen to our opinions. I would have liked, if more people would discuss this. I (once again  ???) agree with @brads3, markets are interesting and it is important to have good  working markets in a game, especially when it grows. Discussion about markets is on going.

I've told my opinion about these NMT markets. I also find it's important to have markets of different size. And to charts; we can always use the nice DS markets charts, if we want even smaller. I guess they are compatible.

I want to say one more thing about the look. I know, I showed some pictures from the backside I didn't really liked the look of, when you build brick houses on top. But on the other side as my settlement grew, I found it very useful, that they did look different. As I said, markets are important, I use to look into my markets quite often, to see, it they works as intended. It was easier to find them this way, as they looked different. So I would say; no need to make them in different F-variations. I would rather concider something to hide the backside, if you want a beautiful looking village. Maybe some climbing plants, like ivy; maybe some wall? I guess this would be more fun for you to make, and opens up for more creativity by the user.

Turis

Quote from: Turis on March 02, 2018, 08:09:42 AM
Let's take a look at this:

1.- Fair: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fair?s=t, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fair
2.- Market: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/market, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/market
3.- Marketplace: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/marketplace, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/marketplace - Look forum is synonym of marketplace so this forum is like a marketplace. You browse the goods and you "buy" whichever you like the most. Just look at the different exhibits. Hey, in this exhibit they're selling clothes from Greg's tailor shop. I really love this market. We're lucky that the bad weather went away so we could held this market this weekend. There are a lot of people from the neighboring towns.
In my hometown, there is a yearly market held at the lasts days of Spring and you can buy about everything, mostly clothes. It is held in the middle of a street so people can walk up and looking at the different exhibits, mostly second-hand used or old clothes at really cheap prices. Sometimes, the local stores use it to clear their storage for new ítems. And this is very common in most towns and cities in Galicia, Spain.

Wow, I don't usually write so much.
And that's how I view markets in game.

No comments?!? Neither positive nor negative?!?

I know that I started my post, only to change its format in the middle as I was writing. But, didn't the info I gave have any value to any of you? Oh, boy! I think I'm going crazy. All I'm trying to do is to reach... Living alone is driving me crazy.

kid1293

I always use thesaurus.com. Mostly for what you are doing now.
Finding a name for a building. There are SO many links leading you
far away from where you started but always interesting!

I wish more people had the guts to learn more diverse words.
It could lead to a nice and living atmosphere in game.
We have many 'markets' already! Let's try to vary a little bit!

:)

...and yes, being alone sucks.

Turis

RedKetchup

tommorow i would like to launch beta 10 :) so you still have the day ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

we could start a post on markets and storage. with so many different players with different playstyles,we should have many ideas on what works and doesn't.an open -discussion could help unlock some mysteries.
       i tried to go back thru some of my notes. i thought i had more notes. SLINK's vendors are helpful. i use the industrial market to store excess stone.the vendor works well with the laborers. the laborers clear land and leave piles for the vendor to pick up. since he has a wheelbarrow,he can haul more faster. i have seen EB's farmer market vendor take extra supplies to another market and bring back items. such as  take firewood to the CC small market and bring back tools.i have seen vendors wait til a barn had more stored and then travel out to collect from it.always seemed to be the same level of fullness.have seen them walk past several barns and specifically go to a far away barn for items.some tend to help others more ,while some loiter a lot.
     DS made a double market with his small village set. this has a farmers type market to store items used by the bannies including food. the other half stored production goods,logs and ores.this is handy in a production or mining area since you have a merchant bringing food and 1 to supply the workplaces. i also use the industrial plaza. same size as a central market but stores production items.both of these are 1.06 so limited with the new flags. cellars xan also be useful. a luxury cellar adds storage to a winery,the medicine cellar adds to a clinic,etc. this stores the items conveniently for the worker and bannies.

galensgranny

Quote from: Turis on March 03, 2018, 04:18:31 AM
Quote from: Turis on March 02, 2018, 08:09:42 AM
Let's take a look at this:

1.- Fair: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fair?s=t, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fair
2.- Market: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/market, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/market
3.- Marketplace: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/marketplace, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/marketplace - Look forum is synonym of marketplace so this forum is like a marketplace. You browse the goods and you "buy" whichever you like the most. Just look at the different exhibits. Hey, in this exhibit they're selling clothes from Greg's tailor shop. I really love this market. We're lucky that the bad weather went away so we could held this market this weekend. There are a lot of people from the neighboring towns.
In my hometown, there is a yearly market held at the lasts days of Spring and you can buy about everything, mostly clothes. It is held in the middle of a street so people can walk up and looking at the different exhibits, mostly second-hand used or old clothes at really cheap prices. Sometimes, the local stores use it to clear their storage for new ítems. And this is very common in most towns and cities in Galicia, Spain.

Wow, I don't usually write so much.
And that's how I view markets in game.

No comments?!? Neither positive nor negative?!?

I know that I started my post, only to change its format in the middle as I was writing. But, didn't the info I gave have any value to any of you? Oh, boy! I think I'm going crazy. All I'm trying to do is to reach... Living alone is driving me crazy.

Turis, what you posted is fine for whether to call the entire building type a shop, or market, or fair, etc.  But what we are trying to specify is what kind of shop, market, fair, etc. it is.  A raw material shop, a food market, etc.  And then what exact items will RedKetchup flag to go in them.

galensgranny

For now, since RedKetchup wants to get this update of his mod finalized tomorrow, I think the decision should be based on what he has now, but with some changes to the identifying name of the markets (or shops, or stores) so people in general will get a good idea of what is in that building.  Then, there is a question of some groupings of items.

Of course, at some time in the future changes could be made, but for now Red wants to get things moving with his mod.

I think the way Nilla posted the groupings of items and my name changes so it is more precise in English are good, except for the iron decision. 

Nilla prefers no iron in the Building Materials shop, but instead only in the Raw Materials shop.  I think it might be good if it is in the Building Materials shop and also the Raw Materials shop. Iron is used as both a raw material to create a new substance- steel for the steel tool, but it is also used as a building material for construction of some buildings. 

@brads3 , I would be interested if you started a new discussion all about Markets.  I don't have as good an understanding of how they operate the way you  and Nilla do.  It would be helpful to all players.  Especially telling about the different markets various modders have made.

Turis

This is a problem with the game itself. Blacksmith usually produces about everything made of iron, but, also sells them. But, here we need two buildings, the forge and a storage. Same deal with the tailor. We could play around the names and named the store, Farrier, which is another name for blacksmith and Clothier if you figure out, it is another name for tailor.

galensgranny

Quote from: Turis on March 03, 2018, 01:30:27 PM
This is a problem with the game itself. Blacksmith usually produces about everything made of iron, but, also sells them. But, here we need two buildings, the forge and a storage. Same deal with the tailor. We could play around the names and named the store, Farrier, which is another name for blacksmith and Clothier if you figure out, it is another name for tailor.

Red deciding what items to put in his various shops is not a problem of the game itself.  The question at hand is how to group items in the shops Red already made.  Should there be any changes to what Red has already made?

Turis

Quote from: galensgranny on March 03, 2018, 01:41:04 PM
Quote from: Turis on March 03, 2018, 01:30:27 PM

Red deciding what items to put in his various shops is not a problem of the game itself.  The question at hand is how to group items in the shops Red already made.  Should there be any changes to what Red has already made?
Then you didn't understand nothing of what I said. They called blacksmith to what should be called forge and the tailor does his job of making clothes in the back of his store while waiting for customers. Banished takes those items to a different storage.

NOW, I was giving you reliable information about the middle ages which obviously you know nothing about. When I want to speak to @RedKetchup , I'll talk to him directly and not you so stop acting like you speak for him. Do you understand, kiddo?

@RedKetchup The name Farrier refers to blacksmith and it was used between 1375 and 1425 A.D. while Clothier was used between 1325 and 1375 A.D. at England. So, pretty much these names goes along with your Medieval mod.