News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taniu

I also need potatoes and corn :Dor you can add to the greenhouse mods @ Kid1293 ?:'(or another proposition
uses various kitchens and mills and these products are included, it is a pity that @Tom Sawyer eliminated these products - my heart, regrets this - does not test the game technically, but I like to play and add different mods. If someone with modders, Can help that these products will work withThe North - my heart would be happy. Please, beautifully
Secondly, it annoys me that I can not build an apiary, I have to wait about 15 years to get 16 "Bee Hiwe" and of course 1p glass to build steelworks - I prefer to be self-sufficient and so are the hard conditions in the North.
Besides, I really like The North, thank you very much @Tom Sawyer for the fantastic mod of The North v 6, maybe my request will take into account and change something to relieve the older player? :D

brads3

i agree with you,NILLA.based on my testing markets so far,there is much need for the "old" normal markets.in big cities like PAENG does especially. a markets that stores everything keeps the vendor busy locating the extra or nre tag items and he doesn't focus on the needed items.in large towns even you need the space for food. you need a consumer market as you called it that stores food,firewood,clothing,tools,and herbs. what would be super nice is if you had a central market plaza similar to what DS had in his original small village. a double market that was split in half. 1 half would be the consumer items and 1 would be for other. other being textiles,iron or ore,minerals,coal,construction materials,etc that is useful to stock near a production area.that would help move goods where they are more needed and they wouldn't be so scattered.
       as i investigate the markets more, i will keep notes and write a post in the general discussion forum.

also some players do use the thatch mod. thatch is funny. it is flagged construction material but is also burnable as firewood.many houses but not all use it. some markets do seem to store it as firewood or for. some do not.not sure why that happens or if it is related to my compatability 1.07 mod.

Nilla

I agree with you @taniu, about the bee hives. It takes much too long to get enough of them. It's not logical, that you have 3 hives in the store for decades, not being able to produce any honey. I would like it to be possible for a small settlement to use a single hive, like it's possible to grow a single fruit tree.

But I don't agree about potatoes and corn. One of the aspects I like with the North is, that it tries to simulate a Northern European society, starting in the viking/medieval area. To that time, there were no potatoes, corn or other crops from "the New World". Potatoes were introduced in the 18th century, corn as a grain is not even grown today (there's a bit for animal fodder). But maybe @Tom Sawyer, these foreign crops could be put in an extra add-on mod. Those of us who wants to play historically, can load it later in a game and use with the red houses, others from the start.

Tom Sawyer

Actually one order of hives should be enough to build a bee yard but I can increase the amount to get more of them without order. A single bee hive would be very nice but it's a technical problem. The solitary tree works this way because it needs a farmer only to be planted and later to be harvested. But a bee yard or single hive needs a worker the whole year to produce stuff and that needs a bigger object to make sense. This yard works with 16 hives each in a log and harvested once in a year for a reasonable amount of honey.

And since I have the new turnip model, potatoes can stay in game. Not as a starting crop but to buy from merchants for a rather high seed price to grow in a developed town with educated farmers who know about this new crop or so. I also like this idea of adding new crops or other things of the modern age by add-ons.

taniu

@Tom Sawyer :DI am glad that you will add potatoes, it is a pity that not corn, I thought about a small glassworks, craftsmen in the Middle Ages melted glass by hand, glass panes and decorative panes - it was very expensive - most often used for windows in churches - maybe first a small clay oven for smelting glass.
  What do you think about this idea?

DrWest

First, awesome work on this mod. It is just magnificient :)

Next, some feedback after a bit of playing:

• When my Gatherer's Hut had Honey in its produce list, I couldn't help but think: Nice. Guess there's some wild honey up in the North.
  • I was a bit surprised when the trader offered me Cotton Seeds to buy for 4000. Is that intentional, or an effect of the other mods running at the same time? I have DS' Small Village and RedKetchup's NMT running, both from the links you offered.
  • In version 5, you had Trout from the fishing spot and Salmon from the fishing pier. Now, it is just Fish from both. A bit sad about that...
  • The new Herbalist building is great. But, would it be possible to add a capacity description to its Herb Shed?
  • Concerning RedKetchup's Medieval Kiln: That produces Bricks and Roof Tiles, but costs only Stone to build. Wasn't it intended to get the initial Bricks and Tiles from the trader to simulate the technology transfer?
  • Gold is worth 1600 per unit if you sell it. To me, that somewhat breaks the trading process, as you can rather effortlessly afford everything. But, you also wrote in the release post that you'd be using more historic values - so I guess it is really just a feel thing.

And finally, some suggestions/ideas that came to my mind while looking forward to playing and playing itself:

• Aren't hazelnuts part of the available nuts in the northern countries? At least the wiki article on them says that they occur in Norway, Sweden and Finland.
  • It is not something you'd connect to the Skandinavian area, but Maple Syrup is something that is coming from the northern areas of the Americas and has also been known in historic times. Also, having played CC, I disliked its harvest in the autumn there - in reality, the sap is collected in the late winter/early spring (since the trees store starch in their roots over the cold season and convert it to sugar to fuel the production of new leaves) and boiled down to the syrup. Would it be at all possible to implement such a growth cycle into Banished? In the North, you could have a (possibly educated) farmer produce the sap in his orchard and the produce the syrup out of it in his Log Cabin attachment (using Firewood for boiling)...
  • Lingonberries (Preiselbeeren) - gathered in the wild, they are a major part of the Baltoscandinavic cuisine.
  • Firewood: How about a building or yard that is a bit bigger to employ more woodcutters at the same time? Building three chopping blocks next to each other looks a bit space-wasting.
  • What do you think about the Pick-Up button for fields? I mean the one which is used in CC to enable the farmers to first cut down all the harvest before collecting it (or having it collected by other laborers).

Anyways, to reiterate: Awesome mod. Love it.

taniu

@Nilla Thank you for your answer  :)
I know that potatoes come from South America, but were later imported by the Spaniards to Europe in 1567. - Coming back to The North, I think maybe potatoes and corn can be added to the greenhouse. Secondly, is it possible to expand The North by Kanade - there grow potatoes, Alaskan  or Seberi - there is unfortunately no Vikings there, This is not a typical historical game, I think you can change the course of history

Tom Sawyer

Thank you for your feedback @DrWest!

• I guess the cotton crop comes in game by NMT. Would not be a good investment for your town.^^ I also can remove it from merchants.
  • The capacity of the herb storage is added for next update.
  • The medieval kiln is a shortcut to bricks using NMT and I don't mind. At least it would be strange to add bricks as requirement of this object.
  • With gold you are right and it's already changed for next update. It will be split to nuggets with a value of 400 and will be removed from slopes to be more rare on the map.
  • A cutter yard I want to add later. Something matching the foresters lodge or so.
  • The pickup function we removed from this mod in an earlier update because it made farming too simple. It removes things like caring about walkways of farmers or storage and roads next to fields or adding more workers in harvest season and so on. Luke did outcomment this button in code probably because of the same reason after final tests.
  • With Hazelnuts you mean wild bushes in the forest dropping nuts or something to grow in an orchard? It sounds interesting. Maple stuff rather not because of the focus of this mod and another berry species would need any new aspect besides blueberries. Normally I try to avoid doubled resources with same properties. Adding another berry bush model to harvest "berries" from all of them is another thing but only a visual improvement.
If you have more ideas and suggestions, please put in here. I appreciate that very much. :)

Not to forget the suggestion by @taniu.. Your idea of an old small oven to make glass sounds good to me. Will add this to my list.

taniu

some history about Vikings ;
Viking conquests
Vikings - Scandinavian warriors who from the eighth century undertook long-distance expeditions of a merchant, robbery or settlement character. In the case of expedition and trading expeditions, it is referred to as the Western Vicinade and the Eastern Vicinade.
The organizers of expeditions to the countries of Western Europe were the Danish and Norwegian Normans (ie the Vikings), as well as the inhabitants of today's southern Sweden (the provinces of Bohuslän, Halland, Uppland, Skåne and Blekinge).
The Swedish Normans, mainly Swionowie and Goci, organized trips to the countries east and south of their homeland, reaching Kamska, Kijów Rus, Byzantium and even Baghdad Caliphate. The Vikings also reached North America long before Columbus. They reached the Labrador peninsula - Winland (east coast of Canada).

taniu

Viking diet

The Vikings ate sea and river fish. They fished in the coastal waters of the Baltic Sea and the North Sea, eg salmon, herring, cod. river fish like perch, trout, pike.
The diet of the Vikings was dominated by the meat of wild animals hunted in nearby forests, as well as seals that used to appear in the Baltic Sea.
It also happened that the Vikings ate the meat of reindeer, whales, walruses and bears.
Cereal products - groats, oatmeal or barley - wholemeal breads, multi-cereal, oatmeal, barley, millet and all groats.
The milk came mainly from sheep and cows, but there were also goats. Everything was made from cheeses, curd to cheese, and even side products like whey were drunk.
Vegetables - basic like carrots, cabbage, onions, turnips.
Meat preserved in salt or smoked meat. Their sugar was honey
For this you need to add fruits that appear in the forest like wild strawberries or raspberries and nuts.

taniu

@Nilla @Tom Sowyer :)I agree with you that some products do not match the North, but the Vikings not only conquered other people's lands, but also settled in these countries, even reached Canada, and then withdrew. My thoughts - you may disagree with me, in fact the Normans do not eat potatoes and corn, but conquered peoples like that
Returning to the mods that would fit The North is difficult to choose, not which players only play The North without additions. but I like to experiment
I mean only 1 new mod "DS Ale House v2.0" - there are potatoes, corn, peachs I will not quote other mods. They include these products because it would be a long list - it's not about that. Maybe I write too much I would like to draw attention to the creator of such a great saga The North, not to remove all the mods that still fit the "The North" - especially NMT

taniu

@Nilla @ Tom Sawyer :Dcontinuation of my thoughts
Assuming that the Vikings were merchants Inhabitants of other lands offered wood, iron (necessary for making tools and weapons), skin of seals and whales, animal fur, fangs and walrus bones (useful for sculptors). The Vikings transported their goods for considerable distances with merchant ships (known as byrings).
The Vikings' own goods were exchanged for local goods. From the British Isles they brought silver, wheat and clothing; from the Mediterranean countries - wine, ceramics, gold and salt. They sailed across the Baltic Sea and further along the rivers through Rus, to Constantinople and Jerusalem. They imported exotic goods, such as spices or silk, from distant lands.
The most important Viking trade centers included: Birka (Sweden), Hedeby (Denmark), Truso (Prussian lands), Riga (Latvia), Wolin (Pomerania), Kaupang (Norway), Jorvik (England) and Dublin (Ireland ).
Vikings also traded in slaves (most often they were Christian prisoners and Slavs). Some slaves were taken to Scandinavia, for heavy construction work and for a role, but most were sold for silver to Arab countries.
you can add other examples of products here is a lot - what you think about it ?
sorry for my English but I use "Google Translate" - I apologize for my long report but maybe I came in for something? any new ideas?

taniu

"Wiking" is a word from the Old Norman vikingr and in the Viking period, meaning all Scandinavians (and people of Scandinavian origin, except for Scandinavians settled in the east, who were called Waregami). However, the word Vikingr itself means a sea robber or pirate.
  The word "viking", however, entered the general usage only in the nineteenth century, along with the awakening of the national consciousness of the Scandinavians. During this period, Vikings were introduced as warriors in horned helmets. This image is commonly associated with them today, although there is no support in historical facts.
that's all about Vikings - they came from today's Scandinavia. [Iceland. Sweden. Norway. Denmark] - That's my arguments

Tom Sawyer

North 6 on Steam

Yesterday I updated the North mod on Steam. This version is also available on my website. It includes all bug fixes and minor changes we have talked about and a few more things. The new turnip model is included. Gold and silver got their splitting and are now counted separate in overview and townhall statistics. For crops from the New World I decided on Nilla's suggestion and will make a small add-on. I also included adapting files for currently updated mods by @Discrepancy (DSWagonVendors, DSTownHouses and CrestBlacksmith). These great mods are now compatible and recommended for the Nordic scenario. Last but not least the Russian translation by Lucy Bextor is now up to date as well.

Thank you again to all people who reported bugs and made suggestions after the first release 2 weeks ago! I wish you all some relaxing holidays after Christmas. ;D

Nilla

Can I use the latest version in my existing game? I want to go on with my latest game after the brief Christmas brake.

Looks like you're interested in vikings @taniu. If you or someone else want some nice holiday reading on these theme, I can recommend a book from the Swedish author Frans G Bengtsson called Röde Orm. It´s translated to many languages, I know of the English (The Long Ships) and German (Die Abenteuer des Röde Orm) but there are at least 20 more.