News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Kid - Swamp Thing V1.1

Started by kid1293, June 21, 2018, 09:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Thank you for explanation @galensgranny. I guess in colloquial speech many people interchange it. Same in german where we have Sumpf (swamp) and Moor (bog) but people call it as they are used to. Fenn we have also, as an old word for a moor in bottomland and common in northern Germany. Probably the old Saxons did not forget this term, while "bog" they must have learned after reaching the island. Your bog picture is a bit like Banished North, even with the willowherbs in front. :)

Nilla

Interesting explanation @galensgranny, thanks. I come of 4 different words in Swedish (myr, kärr, träsk, mosse); none of them similar to the English name. But I think the difference of them is partly similar, to what you explained in English, and as far as I know, they all exist up in the North, In fact, here in Scandinavia, they are most common in a real cold climate. But live there? I don't know. In winter, yes. But this time of the year, people would be eaten alive; not by frogs, by mosquitoes!

I'm happy that your Swamp includes all these possibilities @kid1293! :)

galensgranny

@Nilla, in Swedish, mosse is the same as "bog" in English.  They found the remains of a medieval man in a bog in Sweden.  The Swedish name was Bocksten mosse, but in English it was called Bocksten bog, so "mosse" has to mean "bog".  Also, I wonder if "mosse" in Swedish is similar to the plant "moss" in English.  Some bogs have a lot of the plant moss.
Kärr is a fen.  Träsk is like a swamp.  In Swedish, the word sumpskog is probably more like what we call swamps in the US.

RedKetchup

dont you have also in english : marsh, morass, slough, and bayou ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kid1293

Abandoned

;D Thanks for all the info @galensgranny , very interesting indeed.  We wanted swampy green water but game of Banished didn't  ;D that would have narrowed it down.  :)

galensgranny

Quote from: kid1293 on July 01, 2018, 04:30:59 AM
What have I done?  ;D ;D ;D
What you have done, @kid1293 , is to bring greater awareness to an ecosystem some people are not so familiar with, and also to help with English terms and their possible parallels in other languages.  All this discussion can help people better appreciate and understand your mod.   Hey!  Maybe this IS the world changing mod you earlier said you were not trying to create!  ;D

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 01, 2018, 03:16:47 AM
dont you have also in english : marsh, morass, slough, and bayou ?
A marsh is particular type of wetland with grassy plants and reeds, often at edges of lakes and streams.   A marsh is a transition area from a body of water to dry land.  Marshes are constantly flooded by water from a lake or stream. 

Morass is a word describing soft, wet, ground you could get stuck in.  It is not a particular kind of ecosystem or land form- just a general word for such an area. It could be used to describe a bog, marsh, swamp or fen area. Mire is another word used to describe such areas.  Mire is more commonly used than morass in the US, at least in my experience.  Often, a person cannot tell if the wet, soggy, muddy, not passable area is being fed from a lake or river, of just from rain or ground water to be able to technically differentiate the correct term.  So one can just say they came upon a mire, or a morass.

Both mire and morass are also used to describe situations where there is an impediment or hindrance, or being overwhelmed.  Example, "He took weeks to go through the morass of legal documents".  "She was mired in debt, so could not go on vacation."

Slough does mean an area of mire.  In this usage, it is often pronounced to rhyme with the word "you".  I am more used to that word spelling being used as a verb meaning to plod through a muddy kind or area or casting off skin.   In this usage, the "gh" has an "f" sound.   "She sloughed though the thick mud."  "The snake sloughed off it's old skin."

Bayou is a marshy, sluggish stream or river that often is going through the swamps.  It is mostly a term associated with an area of Louisiana on the Gulf coast of the US where decendants of French Canadians settled.   They are now referred to as "Cajuns".  The word "bayou" is a Louisiana French (Cajun) word.   They live in the swampy area with many bayous (sluggish streams).
Kid's Swamp mod could be where the Cajuns are living!

RedKetchup

thanks you :)
i asked cause i remember the song "Blue Bayou" ^^
and about morass : i played world of warcraft long time ... so i thought about the Black Morass dungeon ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

taniu

@kid1293  :D :D :D Thanks You ! Nice texture for buildings and green frogs

angainor88

There are also estuaries which can be wetlands as well (though not always) :P

rkelly17

Quote from: galensgranny on July 01, 2018, 01:37:03 PM
Slough does mean an area of mire.  In this usage, it is often pronounced to rhyme with the word "you".  I am more used to that word spelling being used as a verb meaning to plod through a muddy kind or area or casting off skin.   In this usage, the "gh" has an "f" sound.   "She sloughed though the thick mud."  "The snake sloughed off it's old skin."

They are now referred to as "Cajuns".

On the first item: Growing up in California "slough" (with the "you" pronunciation) referred to a stagnate pond at the back of the beach. Some were the leftovers of high tides or storm waves and were salt water. Some were formed where the sand blacked a creek or stream from getting into the ocean. These were often mixed salt and fresh because waves washed into them, too. And, on California a "stream" often has no water in it. Sometimes these broke through and emptied into the ocean after a big rain. As a kid I found both types curious yet gross. One place we camped often there was a large creek-formed slough that divided the campground in half.

On the second item: "Cajun" comes from "Acadian," which is what the Francophone people of the Maritimes are called. Many were sent off  to Louisiana when the British took over, but many stayed put and still live in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

galensgranny

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 03, 2018, 12:59:54 PM
Quote from: galensgranny on July 01, 2018, 01:37:03 PM

They are now referred to as "Cajuns".

On the second item: "Cajun" comes from "Acadian," which is what the Francophone people of the Maritimes are called. Many were sent off  to Louisiana when the British took over, but many stayed put and still live in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Yep, they got banished to Kid's Swamp! 

rkelly17

Kid, if your Swamp Thing has Cajuns and bayous, any chance of a Cajun music sound track? That would really add some bounce to Banished!  ;D

Abandoned

Not meaning to answer for @kid1293 but the Swamp Thing mod is also meant to be used in mossy forest settings, not necessary in southern swamp or with swamp terrain and climate. Cajun music would limits its use I think  :)

kid1293

Not to mention the size of the mod.  :(