Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Chicken & Egg Production vs Pasture Size

Started by slink, August 14, 2014, 01:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on August 17, 2014, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: slink on August 16, 2014, 06:08:43 PM
I have had odd behavior when splitting herds and flocks, recently.  The animals in the new pasture reproduce much more quickly than the ones in the old pasture.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

It took me awhile to figure out that you have to have 10 animals to split a herd. In those days, before I read the many enlightening posts here and on the SRS forum about agriculture I just made all my fields and pastures 12X12. Anyway, 12X12 only holds 9 sheep, so if I wanted to split a herd I had to wait and catch the pasture just when an extra sheep appeared and pause th game before the herder butchered it. Then I could split into 2 5-sheep herds. Most of the time that worked. Sometimes the new herd was back up to 9 when the old herd was still at 5. Sometimes the reverse. Sometimes (rare, but it did happen) one herd died off completely. Since I've switched to much larger pastures I don't pay close attention, but I've never had a complete die-off. I think it depends on which herd gets the pregnant females or which herd gets mostly older animals, but I have no idea on how one might even check on such things, let alone control or influence them.

Then, of course, there are the chickens, who can actually reproduce on the move from one pasture to another.

I noticed it when splitting herds of 20 cattle or 33 chickens.  In the instance of the cattle, all or most of the young ones ended up in the new pasture.  I couldn't see a size difference in the chickens, but the new pasture was nearly full before the old pasture began refilling.  I had the same result with the cattle, only not so dramatic since the difference was 10 going to 20 rather than 16 or 17 going to 33.

It's probably due to the order in the memory list of animals.  Perhaps LIFO is used?

Pangaea

Not sure who is behind the site, but it had a lot of mods, which is how I found it, and there is also this rather nifty size calculator.

http://banishedinfo.com/t/Size_calculator

I've only briefly checked it out, but it looked pretty informative.