News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pink Water

Started by Paeng, May 16, 2017, 05:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

I have my own texture for the color of the water as I am above ground. Maybe Red can put a plane with a watercolor between the ingame water texture and the plane with the water moving part as a test?

What Bartender means is that on the side of the channels the channels brick texture is still visible between the top layer (Moving water) and the bottom layer (The color of the water)

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Bartender

Thanks for the screenshots and answers to the questions!

This mostly confirms my hypotheses, so that's good. Essentially what is happening is that the new water somehow refuses to reflect the sky, though it still reflects everything else. I will try to make a small test with several possible solutions this weekend, hopefully one of those will solve it.

@embx61 it's good to know that putting a plane underneath definitely works, although this wouldn't look completely natural for large bodies of water. I'm curious to see how it would work if the plane uses the OpaqueInWaterMaterial though, so that's one of the things I'm going to test.

RedKetchup

@Paeng  , @calli74  , @Discrepancy  , @Necora , @Whoyou13   : Can you test this ?

start a new game with ONLY this ...Test.pkm.
build 3x 4x straight Classic stones and build 3x 4x straight Old Brick style
rotate and tell me if still some pink / silvery reflections. put picture too please
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Discrepancy

Yes there is still pink with dx11, and silver with dx9:

RedKetchup

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 20, 2017, 04:06:56 AM
Yes there is still pink with dx11, and silver with dx9:

boooo hoouhoouu  :'(  :'(  :'(

i thought that was maybe the way the old pieces of the NMT2.0 canal system was built : it was not a "plane" for the water but a "thin box of 0,01 thick". (a box has a side on top, but also a side beneath)
and i thought that maybe it was the culprit. the reflection of the side "beneath" the box was messing with the reflections of the "top".

oh well  :'(

Discrepancy

What does influence it though is nearby shadows, so @Bartender is correct, it isn't reflecting the sky, but a nearby tree/barn casting a shadow on the water make it appear normal, with the reflection.

@RedKetchup , I wonder what would happen if you put an inverted plane above the water plane, with a blue texture.
If the face is pointing down, we should look through it, but the water will reflect it?

RedKetchup

and it doesnt do that with : 3.0 Pond ??? embx61 moving water ? irrigations ?

Discrepancy

I haven't tried myself. I will download them now.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 20, 2017, 04:21:46 AM
I haven't tried myself. I will download them now.

ok @Discrepancy  waiting for you on these extended tests :)

Bartender

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 20, 2017, 04:19:51 AM
What does influence it though is nearby shadows, so @Bartender is correct, it isn't reflecting the sky, but a nearby tree/barn casting a shadow on the water make it appear normal, with the reflection.

@RedKetchup , I wonder what would happen if you put an inverted plane above the water plane, with a blue texture.
If the face is pointing down, we should look through it, but the water will reflect it?

This could be a very elegant solution! We could even give that plane a sky texture so that it looks almost like the natural water.

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 20, 2017, 04:20:28 AM
and it doesnt do that with : 3.0 Pond ??? embx61 moving water ? irrigations ?

The reflections of the sky work in a very weird way.. essentially the water needs the blue lowered ground underneath it in order to reflect the sky. Any water that doesn't have lowered ground under it will just appear transparent, and will need to get its colour from what's underneath it.

Discrepancy

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 20, 2017, 04:27:03 AM
ok @Discrepancy  waiting for you on these extended tests :)

They all look great:

RedKetchup

but at what distance beneath i need to put this extra blue sky plane ? closer i put it near the moving water and less we will see bricks walls continuing down under water :P

i am gonna do a first test at -0,3' beneath the moving water

RedKetchup

the problem it does that :  ??? can you test ?

Discrepancy

I'm also quickly making a mod that will add an invisible sky. just about to test.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 20, 2017, 04:56:43 AM
I'm also quickly making a mod that will add an invisible sky. just about to test.

i cannot test anything myself :S so i need testers