News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS TownHouses v3.0.2 (updated 30 July 2019)

Started by Discrepancy, May 17, 2017, 06:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

Quote from: elemental on May 18, 2017, 04:50:04 PM
You put houses right next to the coke ovens and blast furnace?!?! You mean! Very mean!   :o   ;)

Hahaha @elemental just trying to recreate some mining eras where the miners were covered in soot, so too the whole towns :)  Next map I'll be more designer aware, and see what I can come up with, I was playing around with the houses to see what sort of look it had.

I'm thinking in the next ring out will be some Medieval houses, with the cleaner stones, but still keep the stone feel to it. :)
Quote from: Discrepancy on May 18, 2017, 06:00:05 PM
Quote from: Turis on May 18, 2017, 09:40:41 AM
I prefer that you keep the roofs sloped to the front and back, but, that's just me.

There will be more styles eventually. I wanted to make this look like the hanseatic kontor trade buildings in Bergen, Norway:

I will make more variants and colours like these. And then onto something new again. I don't want to lock myself into just retexturing one style of housing when I can keep making different ones!

I like that image @Discrepancy and it has the brighter white in there as well as other neutral colours, they will look good as row houses. :) 
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Nilla

Nice! My thought was on Bergen, the first time I saw the red house! :)

Without any pressure: You know, that they often have some kind of shop on the ground floor!  ;)

Turis

Quote from: Nilla on May 19, 2017, 12:35:21 AM
Nice! My thought was on Bergen, the first time I saw the red house! :)

Without any pressure: You know, that they often have some kind of shop on the ground floor!  ;)

In that case, make the shop 2x3 with a flat roof and the ground floor of the house 1x3 so both occupy a 3x3 ground space. ;)

Discrepancy

... a maybe on some store frontages.

Meanwhile I'm back on this for a bit. I was doing AO mapping of DSSV houses, but had a mega stuff-up and did a batch convert of the images, without a backup and they are all ruined, so I'll have to go back through them all again...

but here are some more textures:

plus I think a more 'mustard' colour, and an alternative red.

Turis

Bartender

With the amount of rain that the world in Banished is getting, some buildings from Bergen would only seem fitting ;D.

elemental

Any idea why they have no ground level windows? I'm guessing you are using the historical buildings as a guide.

Discrepancy

Quote from: elemental on May 20, 2017, 03:54:48 PM
Any idea why they have no ground level windows? I'm guessing you are using the historical buildings as a guide.

... I just hadn't added them in then. They are there now. Along with more front door variants, 6 wood textures, 2 roof textures, plus the mirrored versions brings these townhouses to 24 variants for each house! So far I've made 3 house styles like this so that is 72 already... I have the code written for 1 of them! haha, this is going to be slow.
and @Nilla is correct, they are mostly shop frontages on the ground floor.

QueryEverything

holy moly :)  24 variants? wow, that's impressive :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

elemental

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 20, 2017, 08:55:30 PM
... I just hadn't added them in then. They are there now.

Ah Ok then. I thought there might have been some historical reason why they didn't have street level windows.

Discrepancy

I'm not, by any means making these historically accurate... I've taken a fair bit of artistic license.

Well I succumbed @brads3 & @Nilla
I've made a small market shop, you can see it below, built alone, and built under a large townhouse.
(Edible | Fruit | Grain | Protein | Vegetable | Tool | Health | Clothing)

All credit must go to @RedKetchup for being the inspiration for these kind of house additions.

What else on the ground floor?
I don't want to stray too far from vanilla, but exceptions can be made, a bakery is already in the works along with a town doctor.
I want to keep this interesting so I'm open to a couple more suggestions?

Maldrick

Really gorgeous, @Discrepancy .  Absolutely love that style.

"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Abandoned

@Discrepancy wow, absolutely love those, great colors. :)  And 1st floor shop, bakery, and town doctor, can it get any better than that?  Well, maybe with a town seamstress/tailor or something different like healthy herbal soap or candle maker.  Fantastic  :)

kid1293

Great work!
This will go far!

Nilla

Great town houses! :) I think you're on a good way with the store, a bakery and a doctor. The doctor; is it the function of a herbalist or a hospital? A herbalist function is better in a dense town, but a hospital good as well, so I guess you can make both. I think Red has a NMT clinic and pharmacy. What else do townfolks need? Maybe a tailor, a school, an inn, a mayors office, different stores, to think vanilla. But you could also make versions of your small town kitchens and maybe a small workshop (a large blacksmith rather not in the town).

You have Bergen as model; an old trading town, especially for fish or rather preserved fish products. But the production of stockfish and other fish products would maybe not be in the middle of the town. But I think you can combine it very well with your jetty pieces. It would be interesting though, to see these houses integrated in a trading port: maybe a building like these, with storage and a home, connected to a dock.