News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Just a few screenshots

Started by ConTheJedi, October 25, 2019, 03:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConTheJedi

Hey all!

Long-time Banished player but first-time poster to these forums, which are great by the way - found many a guide / hint / mod over the years!

Just wanted to share a couple of screenshots of my latest town - a lot has changed since my early days of Banished where every town was the same, repetitive grid-like shape and that's mostly thanks to the amazing mods available.  They've added even more realism to what was a pretty realistic game, so thanks!  I've been playing mostly with mods by Discrepancy and RedKetchup (with a few random ones thrown in as well)

Hope you like the shots - feel free to comment or suggest any tips / advice for future improvements or ideas!

A humble Cabbage Farm.  Simple things like the addition of fences and gates to the game means the houses / farms can be combined in a much more realistic way.  I'm also a huge fan of the little details such as the cart and lantern - they don't actually do anything but I think they just make the whole area feel more lived in.

The Windmill.  I took what I'd learnt with the Cabbage Farm and ran with it - a large barn in the centre makes it easy for all the workers to harvest the food and the paths running through the middle make it feel like any generic UK countryside.  I should probably change the cabbage fields to corn though - it's not like you can run cabbages through a mill!

A Small Settlement.  One of the biggest "game-changers" in my opinion is the angled buildings - finally, no more grids with every house facing the same direction!  Really like using the small market carts instead of the massive marketplace as well.

That's all for now!  I'm in the process of building a more compact town-centre - tall buildings, narrow streets, hectic marketplaces, etc - but had to stop to deal with a sudden food shortage!  If I can stop the town from dying of starvation, hopefully I'll post some more soon!  If not, then it's back to the drawing board! 

Thanks again everyone!

brads3

i try leaving a space between fields all the way around them. 2 reasons for this. 1 is i have heard of fields becoming blocked so they coud not be worked. the other is so the farmers have  space to work and lay down the baskets. its a way to avoid a potential issue.

since you mentioned a food shortage, i wonder if more storage barns close to the fields would help improve that.with less walking from a couple farmers,you might increase outputs quckly.

catty-cb

Quote from: ConTheJedi on October 25, 2019, 03:43:35 AM
.... hopefully I'll post some more soon!  If not, then it's back to the drawing board!  ...

Look forward to your next posts

Nilla

Beautiful! Nice to see more "city builders" who put so much effort into designing.

I can agree with @brads3; as a "survival player", I can see that there´s something wrong with your fields. One cabbage field is half harvested, on the next the crop is only half-grown, that means it was planted late, the third field looks fully grown, but where is the farmer to harvest it? I don´t think it´s the access to the fields that are the main problem; mostly it´s only the south-west corner, where they start to work that needs to be accessible and it seems to be that way at your fields. But where do the farmers live? Where is the closest store?

Now we don´t know, maybe it´s enough stores close enough and the farmers live close enough to the fields to have time to harvest all. If it is that way and you´re still close to starvation, take a look at your statistics; are most Bannis occupied? If not let more of them produce food. If you don´t have a load of unemployed labourers, my guess is that your fields are too small or you employ too many farmers on each field. If you build the fields in an efficient way (close barns and homes), the number of farmers set by default is too high.

Anyway, I wish you luck because I want to see more from this beautiful settlement!

ConTheJedi

Thanks for the hints, tips and replies!  I appreciate the kind words  :)  And apologies for the long period of absence - needless to say the village was quickly wiped out due to starvation!  It looked nice but was definitely not that efficient...  I then switched off the mods for a while to do some achievement hunting and then got distracted with some other games entirely!  But I'm back on Banished and playing around with building some fun cities again!

Disclaimer - I really wanted to play around with the mods that let you build on water, i.e. DS Jetty / Stone Bridge, but because I needed some time to figure out exactly how they worked, I didn't want to be distracted with trying to keep a basic town alive and well at the same time.  So I've been running the game in Debug mode - I hope that's not frowned upon!  It just gave me the freedom to play around with some of the amazing mods out there without worrying about resources, needs, build-times, etc.

So here's my first attempt at a small shanty-town, built completely over a lake!

I love the snowy look - you can imagine the lake being almost completely frozen over and the citizens having to drill little ice-holes to keep the fishing going!

Also a big fan of the drawbridge (visible near the top-left) - whilst it doesn't actually move, it helps make the whole town feel that bit more isolated.  These shanty-dwellers keep themselves to themselves!

So that's it for the time being! I'll try not to leave it a couple of months this time!  Thanks again!

banishedsanni

Inspiring :) Your town looks cute.

I love to see screenshots from other peoples' towns to get new ideas for my own towns.

ConTheJedi

I'm glad you like it!  Definitely recommend having a play around with the jetty buildings - they look great and it's a whole new challenge designing narrow walkways and cramped little living / production areas.  Obviously this particular town was built in debug mode so I have no idea whether it's sustainable or not, but now I know a bit better how it all works I might attempt using it in a proper play-through.

I've found this debug mode to be a bit of a blessing and a curse to be honest - main benefits are obviously the complete freedom to build whatever you want without risk of your town starving, freezing or generally dying! But I've found it more difficult to design 'natural' looking settlements - when you play properly, you expand slowly and place things as and when you need them.

Anyway, just adding some finishing touches to another small settlement, this time using Kid's awesome Fort / Plantation mods - pictures coming soon!