Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Specialized market buildings

Started by Bobbi, October 02, 2014, 03:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbi

@rkelly17 said on BanishedMods forum:

"RE: Elfecutioner's Smaller Vendor Buildings Compilation
These are very helpful additions to the game--a number of places where a full market is overkill but distribution is needed.

I think I've asked this before, but have you thought about making shops that split up the inventory of the current market with the same radius and capacity. I would like to build a town square with the vendors around the edges rather than in the middle more like many small towns are set up. I could see a food shop for food (maybe even a meat market and produce shop if one want's to go all out), a building materials yard and a dry goods store built around a park-like square or at a crossroads.

I know I should learn to mod and do this myself--I'm full of great ideas for other people to work on. "

This is my dream, too. Hardware store, meat market, grocery store with just veg, that sort of thing. All looking different, of course. Anybody up for it? Sure wish I could mod....

slink

I played with it this evening, using a wooden house as a temporary model.  I found a flaw in the system.  Although setting the contents to only proteins prevented the vendors from fetching anything but beef, mutton, fish, poultry, and eggs, the farmers dumped their produce into the meat market at harvest time.   >:(  There may be another place I can set something, so I have not yet given up, but that was distressing after two hours of wrestling with the rsc files.  It's time now for me to calm down for the night so I can sleep.  I'll continue my experiment tomorrow.

RedKetchup

hehe welcome in the stressful world of moddling p ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

Good luck, @slink  :). Sleep well and live to mod another day!

rkelly17

Thank you for giving this a go, @slink. I started looking at this and was very intimidated by the complexity.

Meanwhile I've come up with a new idea which will involve some graphics work (@RedKetchup?). Aren't I just a fount of work for other people?  :o

So the new idea: Two or three market designs. All do the same thing, but each is a different graphic with a different layout. Market0 is what we have now. Market1 is set up around a crossroad so that there are buildings in the four corners and roads come in from each side and cross in the middle; it could take up about the same amount of space as the current market. Market2 has the road along one side and buildings face the road; it would take up about half the current space.

My frustration is that, while it is now possible to decorate market squares with all sorts of wonderful things (thank you @RedKetchup  :) ), my market squares still all looking more or less the same with the market in the middle and various layouts around the edges. I can hang them off roads or boulevards or I can dead-end the roads or boulevards; I can make them more civic, residential or industrial, but there is still not much variety.  :(  Many small towns have a park-like square with buildings around it. Many villages are just a couple of stores at a rural crossroads. I'd like to be able to do those things in Banished.

I did download The Fountain Lite by Cosacks (this morning I noticed he has added the hedges, the stone bridge and an inn--smaller version of boarding house) and I noticed that the larger house he has in there has "road-capable" squares (what in SC 4 world are called "transport enabled"--the little green arrow squares) all through the model, so I am assuming that there is nothing to prevent someone from putting roads through the middle of a model. I could be wrong, of course.

So there is the idea. Anyone who wants to can go for it and take all the credit.

Meanwhile I guess I'm going to have to take a course in 3D modeling or something and get serious about modding or I will become very unpopular with people who actually know what they are doing.

RedKetchup

so if i understood, you want a market similar the one we have but instead to have the roads that goes all around on the 4 sides, you want them to pass though middle like a cross instead ?

irrelevant

He also wants one that is like 6x12, where the road just goes down one side.

Bobbi

I just want the extra specialized buildings so I can make my own crossroads or plaza, although I am sure I would also use this new market creation. The small vendors compilation by Elf and collaborated on by our own @RedKetchup has an excellent market building that provides sufficient radius for a crossroads in small town that I am envisioning with hardware store, etc, that I am envisioning.

RedKetchup

something kinda like that ? a market but without roads alll around , it s a road that pass through it ?

RedKetchup

or just 2-3 building meshes so you can do all you want with them , till they are looking different ?

slink

I have gotten some smaller markets working now, but I don't have unique models for them yet.  My package is due to arrive today, and then I will have the wherewithal to edit some downloaded models.  Whether or not I develop sufficient ability to produce something that the game will use is another question, but I won't know until the package arrives at the front door.

My current plans include a Vegetable Market (stocks vegetables and grain), a Meat Market (stocks protein sources), a Fruit Market (only stocks fruit), a General Market (stocks firewood, clothing, tools, and herbs), a Hardware Market (stocks stone, iron, wood, textiles, and coal), and maybe some other thing.  I have a handle on keeping the farmers from dumping their produce in non-food stores.  I had a handle on making toobar buttons but I've lost that for now.  Right now there are just little nubs instead of nice big buttons.  They do have tooltips, though, so I can see what I am testing.

I managed to edit houses so they don't use coal for fuel, I think.  At least they were burning up their supplies of coal and only replacing it with firewood even though coal was available.  The problem I have with that particular test village is that it is due for a disease within about two years after the save and that messes with my testing.  They seem to gather things more or less at random so I can't get the answer quickly.

Pangaea

@slink, alternatively you can start a save with the bug mod active. You can add citizens, make all educated, add resources, all kinds of cheating stuff, but it should be useful for testing stuff like this, how things work in an actual village, that you can erect fairly quickly.

The non-roaded part of the default market is 12x12, right? So keeping to similar size, it would be great with four 6x6 buildings that carry the same goods, or alternatively six 4x6 buildings.

slink

At the moment the building models I am using are the six wooden houses, which are 4x4 plus their road frontage.  Each one has an inventory of 1000, which if there were nine of them would equal 9000.  That is close to the inventory in the standard market, which is 10000.  The dimensions of the final buildings will depend on what I can either adapt or build for myself.   :)

I do have my debug mod, so I suppose I can build a test village with that.

RedKetchup

if you can give me a bit of time.....

for the moment i cant even check any mods anymore :S

slink

I've got the buttons back for the individual buildings.  The inventory isn't set quite right yet, but they are working correctly.