Previous topic - Next topic

traceyfields

Challenge, survive to year 10

Level: extreme

Terrain Type: [CC] Bleak Mountains
Climate: [CC] Very harsh
Start: Jack & Jill [DSSV]

Mod list:
One year is one year - alternative version. Voeille http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=430
Go Hunting. Tom Sawyer http://www.banishedventures.com/huntertools/
MegaMod 8.01. BlackLiquid team and others. http://blackliquidsoftware.com/

This challenge pits you from moment the game loads. Jack and Jill have no tools, food, clothes or education (which, lets be honest, is probably why they found themselves here). No structures have been built and early spring temperatures will be deadly in half a season.

Achieved: yes, on third attempt.

traceyfields

Maldrick

Might give this a go when I finish what I'm working on.

Question...Obviously, the realtime aging mod adds to the challenge by stretching out the early years with no kids....What does Go Hunting do for this?  I've been intentionally saving The North so I can go into it cold sometime and not familiar with what that does.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

brads3

actually a 1:1 age mod should help. once you are thruthe initial start setup,you won't have extra mouths to feed. this can buy you time to build resources while mico-managing the bannies. personally i would want KID's workplace mod and the mini mod.small workplaces would be quicker to build and need less materials.   

traceyfields

Bannies died to make this post, please be respectful. Jack and Jill is a fairly hard start, no matter what your play style is, or what mods you are using. This was a nightmare.

How Jack and Jill survived, (megamod 8.01, 1 year is 1 year [alt version], go hunting)

• freeze  :o the game instantly it loads
  • draw a generic 3x3 storage area (F5, 1, x)
  • storage - F5, 15 put down 2 of. these are from Kid - Bits & Pieces Part 1.1 (as included in megamod).
  • mark 6 trees for removal, this should give you 12 logs.
  • this seed has a deer herd very close by. putting down one (and only) one of Tom Saywer's Go Hunting will bag one deer.
  • put one of Discrepancy's small leather tents next to your stores (F3, 7, z). this is your best hope, after you've murdered a deer. IMPORTANT: put a pause on this building construction.
  • you need a small chopping block and Kid is at your rescue! go to [Themed Sets], look for [Forest Outpost], and select [Wood Chopper]. place next to stores. IMPORTANT: this will be the first
    building you complete.
  • set your professions to one hunter, one labourer
  • press space bar and GO!
  • watch carefully until the deer hits the deck. pause the game immediately, set the hunter to builder, delete the Go Hunting site and press the space bar.
  • watch the trees fall, and the Wood Chopper construction window fill up. the moment the 8 logs are in place, set the labourer to builder.
  • the moment that the build gets to 6 of 8, pause and set one builder to labourer, mark a tree, mark it with a priority AND unpause the building window on the small leather tent.
  • what happens now, when you press the space bar, is both bannies carry on building, until the build gets to 7 of 8, at which point freeze the game again. the labourer will leave to cut one marked tree down. the builder will complete the chopper and immediately go to stores to collect the leather and the 3 logs.
  • watch the labourer closely. the moment the tree falls, pause the game. set the profession to woodcutter. press space bar.
  • watch the inventory of the Wood Chopper, it should contain just 1 log - but that is all you will need!  :o  ???
  • the moment the log disappears from inventory (the bannie is now holding and working on it), wait half a second, pause the game and set the woodcutter to builder. the bannie may or may not put the firewood in stores, or just keep it in their inventory, doesn't matter. now set the labourer to builder as well.
  • the tent should be building by now, with two builders on it, you will complete in time.
  • the moment you get to 7 of 8 on the build, pause and set one builder to labourer. mark one tree for removal. now would be a really good time to say a prayer for your bannies.
  • press the spacebar. what should now happen is the tent should complete, and the dreaded BLUE FROST marker will now appear. with luck the bannie holding the firewood piece will go immediately to the tent and put the fire wood into stores. if one or both just wander off to pick their nose at this point, you're screwed. putting a priority on the tent might help, but really - we all know the priority button is just fake, and doesn't actually do anything...  ;)
  • if the blue frost marker goes out, you're safe, press the spacebar to pause and set the second builder to woodcutter, start marking trees for removal.

why build the chopper first?
the death by frostbite ticker, when the blue frostie icon appears over the bannies heads, appears to only start when your first residence building completes. or if not, gives you a few more seconds grace. once the blue frost icon appears over your bannies at this temparature, they're basically dead. just one firewood put in the tent will heat it enough to keep them alive. complete the tent first, and you have two bannie popsickles, complete the tent second and get the wretched, dense headed bannie to put the firewood in the tent (and not wander off with it) - they live.

every click counts, i had to sit up the night working out why the firewood was not going into the tent in time. it is all over in a split second.

now...
for the next build, use [mod collections toolbar],[Kid], [Forest Outpost] (12), [Workshop](14)
this is a super build for Jack & Jilling, 24 logs, it will produce two absolute necessities for you, wooden tools and hide coats.

always watch your firewood
with cold houses at -10.F, take your eye off the screen and you will be filling up your graveyard...  :o

Maldrick

I've done this with Adam and Eve starts using an older 1:1 mod and, as it happens, Forest Outpost.  This will be more of a challenge because of Jack and Jill start, for sure.  I'm just curious what the Go Hunting mod does for this as I have no idea what it does.  Is it a must-have for the challenge?

@brads3 The thing about the aging mod with a 2 adult start is they still have kids but it takes forever for them to get to laboring age and you have to feed them.  I should have worded that better.  Makes for a very different start and I'm curious about this with Jack and Jill.

Pretty sure I had tiny and workplace loaded, too, because it was back when I was playing with that combo a lot.  I don't usually play with megamod but having practically everything loaded at once puts an interesting twist on this.  And it's an excuse to play with megamod.  Might even have to use my own houses. :D
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

traceyfields

a Jack and Jill start requires micro-management on an obsessive scale, one year is one year helps and hinders you and makes the best of challenge game starts. you feel the passing of every year, and losing a bannie in the first 20 years, is a surprisingly major setback.

if you ignore the inbreeding going on, settling for growth with no nomads makes for a taxing game, and if it worries you that all your bannies faces are looking the same (but they do, right?), then console yourself with the idea that travelling merchants can help with the genetic diversity!  :-[

just build those trading posts early and often...

traceyfields

adds a tool for active hunting deer and other wild animals
https://www.banishedventures.com/download/hunting/

this is a must have for a hands on game, comes as part of "The North" and is available as a stand-alone (with no conflicts on my list!), it allows you to effectively sniper passing wildlife, your hunter will kill the first creature on the "path" so you can place the hunting site far past the intended prey and use a "pool shot" to make your hunter intercept the moving herd or whatever. using megamod, it plays nicely and will change your game.

no more will you watch those deer sunter through your village as if they owned the place! slap down a hunter spot and turn them into vension stew!  ;D

Maldrick

Played around a bit with this....Not using the mod from The North, but MM and the aging mod.  It's a pretty fun little challenge getting started.  I only played a couple of years but got that far a couple of times.  Failed a few working it out.  Very fun juggling act with this and it seems that the challenges continue to roll as there's more to juggle.  Can't remember the last time I had bannies go that long without tools and clothing. :P

brads3

that quichunter is handy to get food on any start as wel as the fisherman. the hunter does wor with RED's wild animals as well. both help as you get a town built or before you locate a forester.good way to use a laborer during the winter.

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on November 28, 2018, 11:09:14 AM
that quichunter is handy to get food on any start as wel as the fisherman. the hunter does wor with RED's wild animals as well. both help as you get a town built or before you locate a forester.good way to use a laborer during the winter.

the hunter command will work will all animals. if fact we control absolutely nothing about the hunter command.

a gatherer, you will tell them to gather this, to gather that , and this thing, oh that thing too........
but hunter you control nothing. you say go hunting, and the game go hunting, thats all.

so when he goes hunting, it hunts for everything that is called : "population" in their description.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kid1293

Is it possible to have something, anything other than 'population'
just to have some nice visuals of animals wandering?

lasjoss

I did this before i joined this Forum. Well the settings is a little different. I link it anyway :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFbvpiuSiA&t=731s

Nilla

Well done! I like these extreme starts, too; Jack and Jill, Survivors in the North where you need to do the right things and micromanage a lot at the beginning.