News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Gideo - the town of milk and honey

Started by Nilla, September 13, 2014, 03:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I have decided to give @RedKetchups Creamery-mod a real chance to prove what it is worth. I will start a new settlement with that mod and the honey-mod, no others.

I was a bit "dazed and confused"* as I saw the entries to that death-valley-challenge. Couldn´t believe that my settlement had about 3 times as many people as the largest of the original. Maybe some of you are interested to see how I build a settlement, if I am trying to reach a high population fast.

So I will combine these two things and make a blog.

So I have started a town- medium map- hard start - disasters ? (probably on), fair climate. I will supply the people with a combination of trade and food production-plants, I will buy building materials. And as a say keep a special eye on the milk products (and honey), test and compare them to other food to feed my population and the profitability as a trading goods.

Oh i forgot; a small quiz;
* do any of you not quite so young players know that Quote? ( I can make a hint in the right direction when I say that I stopped my waterfront settlement "in the summer of 69")

RedKetchup

have my latest build + boat fix ?

cause in latest build, the number should be much closer , i mean the total value should be much closer despite a 133% for yogurt gain versus a 100% gain for cheese and cream
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

RedKetchup

yeah take that occasion to pass in mode creamery+ standalone boat fix....

without crash.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on September 13, 2014, 03:23:11 PM
I have decided to give @RedKetchups Creamery-mod a real chance to prove what it is worth. I will start a new settlement with that mod and the honey-mod, no others.

I was a bit "dazed and confused"* as I saw the entries to that death-valley-challenge. Couldn´t believe that my settlement had about 3 times as many people as the largest of the original. Maybe some of you are interested to see how I build a settlement, if I am trying to reach a high population fast.

So I will combine these two things and make a blog.

So I have started a town- medium map- hard start - disasters ? (probably on), fair climate. I will supply the people with a combination of trade and food production-plants, I will buy building materials. And as a say keep a special eye on the milk products (and honey), test and compare them to other food to feed my population and the profitability as a trading goods.

Oh i forgot; a small quiz;
* do any of you not quite so young players know that Quote? ( I can make a hint in the right direction when I say that I stopped my waterfront settlement "in the summer of 69")

@Nilla Wanted a woman, never bargained for you (didn't need the hint)  ;)

Nilla

@Nilla Wanted a woman, never bargained for you (didn't need the hint)

love that answer  :D

do you think the others know what we talk about? Or do they think it is some kind of insult?

You know; lots of people talking, few of them know. ;)

RedKetchup

me sorry i have no idea of what you are talking both  :P

Nilla

Quoteme sorry i have no idea of what you are talking both

Who said a quiz should be easy?.......
How old are you, suppose you are too young ;)

Anyhow:

Yesterday evening I started my latest "project" didn´t get very far and as always I was too tired to write immediately as I stopped. Maybe I have told you before that I am an old sick lady, having a lot of time to play, because I cannot do so many other things anymore. I also use Banished as a kind of sleeping-pill! Oh no, it is not that I think it is boring, not at all! But if I turn down the speed, just look a bit here and a bit there (something is always going on) it is very soothing and maybe (especially if I combine it with a small glass of red wine) I can fall asleep and sleep all night without all too much pain.

From the start I had decided to make a mixture of farming, animals, forest-plants and trade, but I have changed my mind. In order to give the milk and milk products a real test, I will have no farming and  no ale production.

First picture;
I started as I always do (not 2 hrs planning, couldn´t do that) I want to start, right away!

I built in this order:
stockpile
gatherers hut - 2 categories of food from the start and high productivity
woodcutter
5 houses - it is 4 families from the start but if some of the children becomes adult before the houses are finished, he/she might move into one house and I havn´t found a way to get him/her move back to the parents, so if you want housing for all, you have to build one (or sometimes even 2) more houses.
forester
hunter
blacksmith*
tailor
barn - at the beginning the wagon is big enough to store the food
school*
as you might see, I have also planned (!) a honey collector

*How soon I build a blacksmith and a school depends on how old the children are in the starting families. If there are many children getting adult soon, needing tools - I build the blacksmith directly after the houses. If there are several children 2-6 years old, I build a school soon (sometimes even before I build the houses). In this case there was only 2, one boy getting adult immediately, occupying the second house and one girl about 5 years old. I have decided she will stay uneducated too.

Second picture:
I have stopped the game to do some planning!!!!! but only trading ports and bridges in the center of the map.

Third picture:
First trading port under construction. I need a lot of building materials at the moment, that is the reason there is no beekeeper and only 1 forester working (tailor and blacksmith always just work for a short time, to make as much as needed for the present). I always keep an eye on the students, if a girl is getting 15-16 I build a house for her to move into. In this case it is a bit a problem, because all students are girls. But there are some boys 8 and 9 years old. So they have to take their responsibility for the survival and expansion of the settlement early!

Forth picture:
Look what the first general goods tradesman brings! I usually start the trade selling those products shown.
I have also built a second "forest node" right outside the picture. I seldom fill the forest plants full, the productivity of the third and fourth worker is bad. I prefer building more plants. I also have some fast reserves, if food is getting low, I can increase the number of gatherers, hunters (same as fishers) temporarily.

That was about as far as I came. No milk, no milk products yet. The animal-trades-man hasn´t visited me yet.  But there is no hurry and I will build more tonight.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on September 14, 2014, 05:05:56 AM
Quoteme sorry i have no idea of what you are talking both

Who said a quiz should be easy?.......
How old are you, suppose you are too young ;)

oh ya , a Young man of...... 50 years old LOL, i will have 51 soon
december 1963

but keep in mind, i never watched a movie in English :P if your reference is a Movie Quote. it can be very far totally different in french.

Nilla

yeah, as I said too young........
and besides........
it is no movie (although i think there was a movie with that name once)

Nilla

First I will start with an explanation specially for you @RedKetchup

In the late 1960-ies and the 1970 there was a band named Led Zeppelin (one of my favorites) you have probably heard of them. One of their songs starts this way:

Bin dazed and confused for so long it´s not true
wanted a woman never bargained for you
lots of people talking few of them know
soul of a woman was created below

(originally it was recorded by another interesting band of the 1960-ies; the Yarbirds, or maybe they had stolen it too, copyright wasn´t very well known back than)

Back to Banished

I went on with my milk and honey- settlement, and now I really have milk! I build as many pastures as I can and I also buy milk and berries. As I stopped in the year of 24 I had 10 creameries and 2 apiaries

I have made some notes and have also calculated a bit. These are my observations and conclusions so far:

apiary:
opposite to other production-sites with more than 1 worker, the production is proportional to the number of workers.

workers        production           average production/worker
           max   min   average    
1           560      420     480                480
2           1376    880    1063               530
3           1888   1192   1588               530

This is a good productivity for a worker in a plant that needs little space, but it is in the same range as other good located food-production-plants. So I find it acceptable. By the way; what category off food is honey? Read it somewhere but I have forgot.   

creamery:
The creamery is about the same as the apiary; 2 workers produce about the double amount of each product as 1. So I havn´t noticed much for 1 worker. All numbers are for 2 workers.

Product    max    min   average             
Cheese     256    171      220
Cream      442    190      310
Yogurt      1260   744     880   

Notes: I have expanded the milk production sites quite fast. When you start a new plant, one worker leaves an old plant to work in the new one, so temporarily there have been only 1 worker in some of the plants. I produce milk but also buy some (berries the same). There wasn´t any milk in the nearest barn/market all the time, and berries were missed even more. I have continued to increased the amount of stored milk and berries. So I expect that the average will rise, getting more close to the max-value. I also accept nomads, so there might also be some uneducated workforce, but that is a normal case, so I will not do any micromanagement on this subject.

I f I had understood your latest input- values right :
(24 milk -> 8 cheese or 12 cream, 12 milk+12 berries ->18 yogurt)

This is the trade profit of each plant at the moment in my settlement, using my average productivity-values and the trade-value of the input-products:
product           trade value        input                profit
Cheese             1320               660 milk            660
Cream              1240               620 milk            620
Yogurt              2640               587 milk            1467
                                             587 berries
to compare with:
Ale                   3200             1200 apples         2000                  (counted on a low/medium productivity of 400 ale /year)
Wood(1)           2680             335 logs              2010                  (general goods tradesman) (counted on the present values of this game, 4693 wood for 7 woodcutters)
Wood (2)          2010             335 logs              1340                    (food tradesman)

We must not forget that the milk products need 2 workers for these results, ale and wood only one.

Conclusions:
Productivity of honey and yogurt is good, cream and cheese quite low.
Yogurt is a good trading product. Cheese and cream not so. I doubt that it is possible to build a bigger trading economy on these two products (maybe in combination with the products from the pastures).

An industrial area with a lot of creameries looks much nicer, with the brick roofs and the yards, as an industrial area dominated by breweries. The size is not so easy to combine with other buildings but it works.

Observations to come:
As the amount of stored  milk and berries are getting higher (I hope) I will go on and look at the productivity of the plants. I will go on with a combination of the 3 products as long as I can. Probably I will be forced to produce mainly yogurt to survive, but we will see.

If I mostly produce yogurt, a low- price-product,  a lot of it must be transported to the trading ports. Is it possible for the traders to transport as much as needed into the trading ports, as the settlement grows bigger?

Now I also have enough pastures to make a more accurate analysis of those.

That was a lot of text ......phu...... hope it is understandable.

At the end some pictures.

RedKetchup

it has been willingly that yogurt had a more bit output (money-wise) than the others 133% vs 100%. but ya, more come and go.

thanks you for your number, looks like very acceptable.

RedKetchup

btw i know led zeppelin, but i didnt listen alot, i was more pink Floyd fan ^^. and also back in this, i didnt know English at all back in time :)

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on September 15, 2014, 07:06:04 AM
In the late 1960-ies and the 1970 there was a band named Led Zeppelin (one of my favorites) you have probably heard of them. One of their songs starts this way:
. . . .
(originally it was recorded by another interesting band of the 1960-ies; the Yarbirds, or maybe they had stolen it too, copyright wasn´t very well known back than)

I am feeling so old.  :'(

Nilla

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 15, 2014, 10:00:16 AM

I am feeling so old.  :'(

Do you feel old because you remember the song or........... worse.............  while you once knew it and have forgotten? ;)

to Banished;

Just wanted to make a small update. I am now in the year of 31. Everything is running real smooth. Here are the new production rates from the milk products, full storages;

Product    max    min   average             
Cheese     328    252      290
Cream      420    364      397
Yogurt      1482  942    1208

This is the trade profit of each plant at the moment in my settlement, using my average productivity-values and the trade-value of the input-products:
product           trade value        input                profit
Cheese             1740               870 milk            870
Cream              1588               796 milk            796
Yogurt              3624               805 milk            2013
                                             805 berries

This makes one yogurt plant almost as profitable as ale or wood (remember; here 2 workers). That is also my feeling while playing.

I now have 6 trading ports with 15 traders in each. I fill it with 5000 yogurt, 3000 meat 1500 wood and smaller amounts of other stuff (cheese, cream, mushrooms, woolcoats, herbs, eggs) No logistic problems yet.

One minor disadvantage compared to ale; the resource-trades-man doesn´t buy any milk products (any food at all). I want no mines and no quarries, so I buy a lot of building materials. So it isn´t possible to rely on the milk products only. But in this case it is no real problem. I also sell wood and clothing.

Pictures 1-2
Have you seen this before? I haven´t, and twice at the same time. Thought the age difference would never be more than 20 years.

Maybe it is interesting to know why I look into the houses and noticed this. As you may see there are 45 homeless persons - off cause; nomads just arrived. When i want to expand fast, I always prepare for nomads, mostly having too many houses. That means some couples separate. This is no problem, the women still become babies. When the nomads arrive, I force the couples together again and the nomads will have roofs over their heads, real fast. 

Pictures 3-4
New and old industrial area. Looks better than with breweries, doesn´t it?