Variety of climate settings and the appropriate suite of items

Started by gatinho65, June 11, 2014, 03:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatinho65

I think it would be great to have different climate settings with their own suites of items, with appropriate trees, animals to hunt, goodies to gather, crops and orchards, professions. Since the game already has seasonal variations, it seems like it should rather simple to create climate changes.

The real challenge would probably be to put together graphics to the high standards of the game. There would need to be some new forests, architectural styles, more diverse inhabitants, along with all the items we play with to create the sustainable economy. That would be a lot of work, but very fun if people had the skills or can learn the modeling software (what is it, anyway?) Did the one guy who developed the game do all the designing himself as well? Its just wonderful.

For tropical, there could be a few types. Monsoon climates have one or two wet seasons, alternating with dry. Some tropical climates are mostly wet year round. There are different types of crops for either, but plenty of shared ones. Rice, millet, mangoes, avocados, cocoa, coffee, pineapple, the list is pretty mouth watering lol.

A mostly dry climate would be interesting to set up too. Original agriculture and the first towns came into being in a hot dry irrigation dependent setting. If they did it thousands of years ago in the fertile triangle, it should be possible to model that kind of simple but interesting economy in a way that fits pretty well into the game.

I'd like to see a mediterranean climate, hot dry summers, cool wet winters. That way we could have olives, grapes, wine, lavender, ibex, truffles, cardoons, citrus.

The disasters could be relevant to the climates too: heat waves, droughts, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, all in mild or stronger versions, like we get already with early or late frosts with their impact on crops.

Fuel needs would be a bit different, it would take some creative thinking to copy the firewood/venison economy to the different climates, but not impossible to identify the appropriate items.

Can you just imagine the fantastic and hilarious names that could accompany some of these settings, to bring in some new cultural variety?!? That's a mod I'd be happy to contribute to lol.

solarscreen

I like your thinking here. Different climate regions so your Banished people have a different environment, food, buildings, and resources.  Make the game more global!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Tomokatu

I also support this suggestion!

Here in Oz, we have a generally dry and sometimes hot climate. It was rather a shock at first and then irritating to have so much DAMN RAIN!
That indicates a Northern Hemisphere Boreal temperate high latitude climate.
I'd like the options for Tropical, Mediterranean Savannah and or Arid climates with the appropriate vegetation profiles please.

What's involved? How can I help?
The older I get, the better I was

RedKetchup

whats about a list of different things we can get in different climate (other than those we have presently)

list of foods, items, jobs, buildings.... trees... etc
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

solarscreen

I'd love to see a desert environment with Bedouin, tent cities, oasis areas, herds of goats and camels.
Wells will be very important. 
Traders come by caravan, not boats. 
Maybe one river front area that would have to be irrigated to grow food items. 
Date palms for orchards.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics