News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla- back to Banished

Started by Nilla, February 01, 2019, 04:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Thanks for the nice words in different threads.  :) Yes, I'm fine. My broken foot is healed. It's not as strong as it was and I lack a bit of coordination, but the physiotherapist says that it's normal. I'm really feeling like an old lady; using "sticks" when I take a walk on frozen or rough ground.  :-\ :-[ I feel a bit stupid using these ski poles when I walk, but that's the way many old grannies do here. But that's alright, I'm really a grandmother now to a beautiful baby boy.  :) :-*

Yes, I was inspired to start a new game. Only I wasn't sure, what kind of game I wanted to start after more than ½ year without Banished. There are some interesting new mods. I don't know where to start. From what I've seen, I was most pleased about the Nordic hospital, I've asked so long for. Finally! Thanks @Tom Sawyer! :)

But the new Nordic buildings must wait for a while. I decided to make a typical Nilla thing: play with just 1 mod. Of course not any mod; the latest huge RK "have it all" !  ;)

I'll start it small, using a small lake map, that I want to fill. I will try to build at least one of all different kind of production buildings. And as I always used to do: I'll tell you about my thoughts along the game; things I like and things I don't like. As we are used to; it will probably be too long.  :-[  It's a lot to catch up with and I haven't followed your developing thread @RedKetchup, so I might mention things that already have been thoroughly discussed. I hope you will apologize that.

First picture
Map and settings. As I said, only 1 mod; the latest RK Editors Choice.

Pough! There are a lot of different maps! Something for every taste. I like the pine wood. Since I haven't played for a long time, I don't want it too hard. The "hard alternate" is perfect this time.

Second picture
I had to stop and think what I always do at the beginning of a Banished game:
-The menus on their usual places.
-A first look at the map and the starting position. Looks good enough.
-A field for potatoes, assign one farmer. Fast and easy.
-A look at the population and the age of the children; one 8 year old. Education pays off. First building; a school.
STOP!
This is RKEd.
The school needs iron. There's no iron on the map.
-Build a blacksmith instead.

@RedKetchup, I don't know, if I like or dislike, that I can't build my usual school at the very beginning. I like to be able to build it fast, but on the other hand I also like, that I have to change my usual way to do things.  ???

Third picture
5 years gone. Only one child missed school.

I might have located the workshops bad. I forgot that the market only hold consumers goods. It's good that way. There are other possibilities to get rawmaterials close enough and the sites need workers close, so the market will be used. No need to rebuild.

Fourth picture
Year 7. Some carts are used to get material close to the workplaces.

I've started to build nicer houses. I find them cheap to build; only 48 lumber, (made from 16 logs); less rawmaterial than a standard wooden house. OK, it has to be processed in the lumber mill, so this is a house to use, if you lack logs and stone. (I usually do that at the beginning of every game) No sacrifice to think cheap in this case; they are really nice.

RedKetchup

see ? thats not so much hard to get a school going without iron ^^
we of course, can miss a student or 2... but thats kinda a challenge :)

challenges are always good :)

you know, of course lumber/logs thing conversion has been very good in human history... thats normal you need less trees to make an house than with pure logs and rough round timbers.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

yeah,the QUEEN is back,the QUEEN is back. everybody sing. you was gone too long. we was getting worried. we all called for you so many times,the church bells started to ring. testing the RK without any input is a good choice. he did add some challenges to it. i have been testing this all week,without much mods. not even close to being done with these tests. lots to see and RED made lots of adjustments.

RedKetchup

yeah and in 1.3 patch (the last one, there will more things)

Tom Sawyer

Welcome back and congratulations on your granny status @Nilla. I mean in terms of the child, not the crutch.. ;D

Nilla

:D  ;D Queen @brads3! How do I find that?.... A Queen with a crutch? :P I'm actually not using a crutch as I walk. I use these "Nordic Power Walking" ski poles, for safety and exercise.

Yes, I've noticed some nice changes from Red in this mod. The wild animals of course but also some other things. I've made no calculations (yet?) but as far as I can see most buildings are good balanced.

First picture
This is a nice feature; herbalists picking wild flax and cotton. This makes it less important to get enough leather from the hunter at the beginning. My 2 hunters (1 in each of my 2 cabins) killed a lot of animals the first years. But for 5 years or so, around year 10, they didn't kill one single animal. Now they are occasionally successful again, maybe 1 animal each year. I think one explanation is the small lake map. I'm always at the edge of the map and a big part of the land is occupied with buildings. This makes is harder for new animals to "spawn".

Second picture
I also like the dock buildings. I have only started to build some of them but I like what I see so far. Only one small request; I have some issue with these stairs. They can be built on water (that's good) and on solid ground but not in between like on this picture. Is it possible to make them work also on such a spot?

@RedKetchup, there's a small bug on the Rng Seafood farm: the limit seem somehow connected to logs.

Third picture
I'm less impressed by this shed. Although it looks nice, I don't understand the purpose of storing all these materials close to houses; clothes, tools, fuel, herbs I can understand, but fertilizer, sand, flax.... I don't see the sense. What are your thoughts by this @RedKetchup?

Nilla

It's a nice little game. I'll just show you a few pictures with some comments.

First picture
I want to force the ships to go through the canal. So far they just visit the port and turn back to the river, but with dock pieces across the river, I suppose it will be impassable. I choose the wooden canal to fit the dock parts.

Second picture
I'm pleased to see so many different corner buildings. I want to build some town blocks.

With these production chains logistics will be a true challenge. The first clay pit is far away and if I build a cart for material close to the pottery, I guess it will just be full of sand and fertilizer. That's why I chose to build a second pit in this area.

Third picture
Another example of a logistical challenge: I couldn't understand why the beer production went down. I had a malt house, a brewery and a barn close to eachother but I couldn't find any malt; there was nothing in the close barn, where it was supposted to be stored, nothing in any of the other barns either and nothing in the markets. More than 1000 malt simply disappeared. After a while I found it; half of it in each of the two small food markets. In the future this will be no problem. In the contrary; it will work fine, if you locate breweries close to theses grocery stores.

You can see the content in my stores. I've bought different kind of food. I don't really need to buy anything but I produce export goods, that I need to get rid of and I don't know, what else to buy.

RedKetchup

Nilla

Nilla

I like the mod but I'm frustrated by this game. It doesn't work bad, but I have made too many small mistakes to have a "perfect game", to check about production numbers for the new buildings. The logistic doesn't work as good as I want to. It would be necessary to rebuild a lot and I don't want to do that. So I've decided to start a new game.

Here are some final pictures from Vinemo.

First picture
My favourite to look at is the fodder farm. These meadows are beautiful. I prefere this way to produce food over normal farmes. It's hard to manage the logistic well and really nice to look at. I like that. :)

Second picture
Overview.

Third picture
Town.

I've started to make some town blocks using the lovely corner buildings. I have a request to you @RedKetchup:
I would like to have some storage buildings with the function of barns/specialized barns in a style that fit the NMT houses. There are some production sites in the corner buildings and they need somewhere to put their products. You can see one barn and 2 carts in the courtyard. I would rather like to have something more townlike; to locate in the yard or as a first floor NMT building (like the specialized markets, that I use on some places).

RedKetchup

i ll try to add a corner barn and a corner stockpile for patch 1.3

Nilla

Fine! It would work. But maybe it would be better to make it possible to build "straight" instead, next to the corner production building or a "copy" of your other free standing barns in a more town like texture.

I'm sure you'll make the right thing. Thank you.

brads3

mistakes...."perfect game". did you bump your head when you fell? you think the bannies went out in the forest with hardly anything and lived happily ever after? what do you think they are all named Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck? that is a fairy tale. mistakes is part of life especially for bannies.they arent worried about fancy.they is trying to SURVIVE.
     you should try it. jump on a plane to the Mayan jungle,pet the 1st snake you find. LOL this is so funny.we have a comedian writing now.

mistakes is part of the game. hell,i made so many yesterday alone,that EB should fire me and my dog ate my homework. and i don't even have a dog. that is part of the game and fun.if  there was a way top make a perfect map,we all would have done that and stoped playing by now.

NILLA welcome back. when i stop laughing i am going to finish my coffee.

Nilla

We are different @brads3. You want it complicated; all mods at the same time: A lot of trouble, a lot of mistakes. Your choice. I want it simple; one or a few mods at the time. Easy game; few mistakes=perfect game. Go on laughing. ;)