News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

How to add water to your meshes (advanced)

Started by Bartender, April 30, 2017, 03:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartender

@RedKetchup  I was just struggling with that as well :P. I've found a way that works though :).

The trick is to adapt the mesh to make a turn, but to leave the UV channel straight. I'll show what I did:

I first separated my plane into several strokes (Here I did a few, but in the end it turned out that I needed much more. I subdivided them later). Make sure that the UV channel looks exactly the same (we're going to leave it that way).

Then I moved all the vertices on the left side of the plane to the same position, at the bottom of the square.

After that I rotated the vertices on the right side 45 degrees, and moved and scaled them so that they form the long side of the triangle and that there's a 90 degrees angle in the lower left corner.

Then I moved the vertices of the long side around to make it look like a nice quarter circle.

Here I tested it, and realised that it was not detailed enough; I could see clear edges in the water. So I used the option subdivide (I guess 3dsMax has a similar function?) to cut the triangles into multiple smaller ones. I had to increase the amount of triangles by a factor 3 (subdivide 2 times), resulting in a total of 27. In Blender this option automatically updates the UV map while still leaving it straight.

Then this is the result :)

Let me know if it works!

RedKetchup

that was  kinda what i did but yeah i was seeing big edges in the water....
but i didnt re-subdivided again. i ll test again tonight but with a subdiv of 3 on top of it.

thanks you for your tests :)
will give news back tonight
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Necora

That is pretty darn cool. Although I guess the riffle stuff is pretty redundant now. Hmm.

QueryEverything

Quote from: Necora on May 01, 2017, 05:01:26 PM
That is pretty darn cool. Although I guess the riffle stuff is pretty redundant now. Hmm.

You bite your tongue!  pffffttttt Had to pounce this because many people will still use the Riffles, I see that there is definitely still a place for the mod - a very controlled placement is the first example, what I see as how I would use the above and yours is:
Create the larger area (like I was trying to achieve with the terraform by Kral) then fill it in with the Riffle mod, the nuances to it, and all the little riffles on the edges etc.

Definitely not redundant at all.    After all, I am still determined to get a backyard pond fishing spot made and we're 95% there now :D :D :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

RedKetchup

have riffles just below the water level and having see it moving cause the river game particles can be very cool, much more cooler than before :)

despo_20

Your riffles are amazing Necora! Close to the wheels of mills or near the rocks add a more realistic look!

About the little streams instead, can this new discovery be used to implement reflective water?
Is there a minimum size limit?

Paeng

Quote from: Necora on May 01, 2017, 05:01:26 PMI guess the riffle stuff is pretty redundant now.

Nah, there's always use for surface water... and the turbulences are still way cool (sorry, can't get used to the term "riffles")...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Bartender

I have to second this, your riffles are amazing @Necora ! It would be a shame to stop development on them.

I personally feel that combining your idea of putting meshes and particles in the water with being able to add water to our meshes actually creates a huge potential! Imagine actual flowing water rapids going downhill, with riffles in them and the foaming particles at the bottom.. that would look amazing.

I definitely think that you could try to apply this material to your small streams, I'd be curious to see how it would turn out :).

Meanwhile, I'm doing some research into the interaction between the OpaqueInWaterMaterial and this new material.. perhaps that one can be used to make parts of meshes that are under the water appear more realistic without needing to do complicated stuff with the textures :).

RedKetchup

Quote from: Bartender on May 02, 2017, 05:20:16 AM
I have to second this, your riffles are amazing @Necora ! It would be a shame to stop development on them.

I personally feel that combining your idea of putting meshes and particles in the water with being able to add water to our meshes actually creates a huge potential! Imagine actual flowing water rapids going downhill, with riffles in them and the foaming particles at the bottom.. that would look amazing.

I definitely think that you could try to apply this material to your small streams, I'd be curious to see how it would turn out :).

Meanwhile, I'm doing some research into the interaction between the OpaqueInWaterMaterial and this new material.. perhaps that one can be used to make parts of meshes that are under the water appear more realistic without needing to do complicated stuff with the textures :).

i second that ! @Necora
riffles just below the water will make your riffles look amazing and really moving !

despo_20

It seems that the quote feature of this site doesn't work on my browser... but I totally agree with Bartender and Ketchup.
"Apply this material to your small streams" and "place the riffles just below the water" could give great results ;)

RedKetchup

Quote from: despo_20 on May 02, 2017, 05:33:13 AM
It seems that the quote feature of this site doesn't work on my browser... but I totally agree with Bartender and Ketchup.
"Apply this material to your small streams" and "place the riffles just below the water" could give great results ;)

oh it will work when you ll get more posts ^^ at 3 posts or 5 ... i dont remember exactly the number ^^

RedKetchup

Quote from: despo_20 on May 02, 2017, 03:06:19 AM
About the little streams instead, can this new discovery be used to implement reflective water?
Is there a minimum size limit?

i dont fully understand the question .... but i dont think there is a limit size... it has the size of your plane you put in your mesh .... if you make a plane of 800x800 tiles.... it will be that big

if you make a "ghosted" plane as big as a small, medium, large map and since it is ghosted, you can build and live with it like if it never existed....
and hidden under ground at minus level -0,75 underground...

every time you will "dig" somewhere in the map, there will always be some water appear wherever you dig ^^

embx61

Quoteoh it will work when you ll get more posts ^^ at 3 posts or 5 ... i dont remember exactly the number ^^

quote link/button ain't working for me either.
Not a big deal as I just copy the text I want to quote and type the quote BB code myself around it.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

Quote from: embx61 on May 02, 2017, 06:00:16 AM
Quoteoh it will work when you ll get more posts ^^ at 3 posts or 5 ... i dont remember exactly the number ^^

Not a big deal as I just copy the text I want to quote and type the quote BB code myself around it.

really ?

and if you "reply" an open your box you type in....
scroll down after and click "insert quote" of someone ? doesnt work neither ?

are you using the default forum "appearance" "theme" or 1 of the dozens of theme provided ? (forum profile => look and layout thing)

embx61

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 02, 2017, 06:04:09 AM
Quote from: embx61 on May 02, 2017, 06:00:16 AM

really ?

and if you "reply" an open your box you type in....
scroll down after and click "insert quote" of someone ? doesnt work neither ?

are you using the default forum "appearance" "theme" or 1 of the dozens of theme provided ? (forum profile => look and layout thing)

Yeah, that works. ^^ :) Never thought about that one.

I just use standard Theme. I never changed it at least.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]