News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Opinions wanted about Warehouses

Started by Abandoned, August 19, 2018, 06:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

I would like to know what others think about warehouses like the supply wagon in Kid Westward Ho or small warehouse unit in Kid Old Town.  I find them very useful for story goals.  I read on forums that others like them for getting over-stock out of their storage units.  What do you think.  Do you want to see more warehouse type buildings?

brads3

i take it you mean like the CC resource building that you tell how many of what to store.a barn that stores like a TP.the only other option i know of is RED's wharehouse.a new option would be nice.keep in mind the storage volume will have to be large.your wagon may work for some cases but mainly would be decoartion.i don't think it would have the capacity to store much.

i build the CC resource barn a lot. it is handy to have available to take up odd items.keeps them from flooding the  limits. i have been tinkering with an idea that more options would be appreciated for.

Kristahfer

Yes I like warehouses. Great for getting extra stock out of the normal inventory limits.

I also find them very useful along with a storage location near by in moving items around or placing items where they will be used.

Have move available space would be nice. Some of them are rather small, but still very useful.

Goblin Girl

Warehouses weren't necessary in the vanilla game, I don't think.  It might have been useful to have, but not necessary. 

For anyone who plays with mods that add product chains and new raw materials, they're essential.  It's far too easy to get markets and storage buildings clogged up with stuff you don't need.  The only way I know of to mitigate that is with a warehouse.
Back when the only warehouse available was the one RK made, I used to think that only one per map was needed.  But now that we have a few smaller ones, I've started using them not only to pull stuff I don't need out of the markets and barns, but also to move raw materials and finished goods around the map.  I tend to turn them on and off, so even in larger towns I don't typically have more than a couple staffed at any given time, but they have become essential to the way I play the game.
And I'm a match-aholic, so I would welcome a warehouse skinned to match every single mod out there.  Possibly that's extreme.  :D

RedKetchup

but still has some evident reality sense constaint. it is absurd to think there can be enough of stones stored to build the Gizeh Pyramid inside a little cart :)
or a big Walmart full of stuff inside a 2x3 that costed 8 wood ^^

the quantities need to reflect space used to store everything.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Goblin Girl

I agree, Red.  But it doesn't take much space to store 1000 feathers or 1000 herbs.  I could put either in a pillowcase.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Goblin Girl on August 19, 2018, 09:27:21 AM
I agree, Red.  But it doesn't take much space to store 1000 feathers or 1000 herbs.  I could put either in a pillowcase.

yeah i agree. usually when we are talking about warehouses, it is about 30,000 40,000 50,000 or 60,000 space.
the game cannot say feathers are 0,00001 space. min is 1. so we need to imagine 1000 feather are probably 1000 box full of feathers very packed tight. and not 1 feather is 1 feather. "feather" it is more a box that contains 100,000 feathers inside :)

RedKetchup

in this game, things work with "weight" it is an unit of measure. a cabbage is weight of 1 ... a piment is a weight of 1 ... maybe it is in fact is it like a pack of 2 cabbages, a pack of 5 piments... or.. ?

it is called "weight" but it could have been called "pound" or "kilogram" and the minimum number as been set at 1. it doesnt have a such name because also it has to include some kind of "space" it should take too. it is hard to imagine the space it takes to store 1 pound of feathers :) or 1 unit of feathers. a stone used to make an house or foundations of an house supposely has a weight of 12. if i try to imagine a stone that weight 12 kg ... 24 pounds.... yeah it can be.

and when we talk about warehouse, as i said, it is something big. usually when we did it. in fact i was the first one to do one ^^
then CC took the idea...
so if personally i would do one , like 2x3 ... i would maybe go for 4-5k ? 8k ? 10k ? counting the fact citizens cannot steal anything from it ? or more like 8k
now would it satisfy what has been ask ? i doubt.

what would be expected as numbers ? what we really want ?

Gatherer

60-150 thousand weight units, depending on footprint.

Example: 4X6 footprint with each tile 1 thousand weight units of storage X 3 levels (cellar, ground floor, second floor) = 72 thousand weight units.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

JM

The packing system has already been tested. Packer make one feather pack (weight 1) out of ten feathers.
Pillow maker needs ten feathers or one feather pack to make one pillow.

What about underground storage?
Underground storage can be huge, but it will require a lot of material and much more work than normal warehouse.
e.g. 400 wood + 400 stones  + 2000 work --> 6x6 tiles + 200.000 space

RedKetchup

Quote from: JM on August 19, 2018, 10:36:12 AM
What about underground storage?
Underground storage can be huge, but it will require a lot of material and much more work than normal warehouse.
e.g. 400 wood + 400 stones  + 2000 work --> 6x6 tiles + 200.000 space

if you take space cost and change it by material cost .... thats a good way to transfert units for units, costs for costs, constraints for constraints :)

but also the model has something to rule too. you take a farwest wagon and try to say : ok 2x3 but cost 325 wood and 125 stones to build and allow 100,000 weight or kg ....
at some point it is something wrong :) but the underground "part" we dont see is good idea.

kinda remember my Root Cellar :) where most is underground

RedKetchup

The best @Abandoned is telling us what you want !

you want:

the footprint need to be this :
the cost need to be this :
the capacity need to be this :

brads3

JM,there is a food storage barn that does take the underground idea and adds it to a vanilla storage barn. if added with the RK .it does texture to th match the RK barns. speaking of root cellars,does RED plan to add them to the RK?

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on August 19, 2018, 11:40:38 AM
JM,there is a food storage barn that does take the underground idea and adds it to a vanilla storage barn. if added with the RK .it does texture to th match the RK barns. speaking of root cellars,does RED plan to add them to the RK?

oh they are already there since very long time !!!! :)

Abandoned

:) okay, I guess that is a yes, as long as the unit size and its capacity are logical and make sense.  :)  Good to know, thank you for replies.