Knightwoodmoor- testing the Mega Mod in a for me completely different way

Started by Nilla, November 06, 2016, 05:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Some new pictures

First picture

Look at@RedKetchup´s once so beautiful angel. Vandalism? (or a bug?) :(

Second picture

A lot of mining and heavy industry located together. I thought the industrial workers needed some hobby and additional income, so I built these small sheep pen, not realizing how productive they were. Now, I don't know, what to do with all wool. In the background you can see this......

Third picture.

Don't look too close. I had big problems to get this right. The people seemed to dive and disappear into the peer and up again. I've somehow fixed that, but there are some corners and parts that aren't perfect, but it makes no fun anymore.

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on November 12, 2016, 03:23:22 AMI had big problems to get this right.

Yeah, working along the waterline can be quite frustrating, and you need a lot of patience if you want to fix things...
We made some demos on how you can counter the weird "sink holes" and stuff, looks complicated at first but is actually quite easy  :)

http://banishedpeople.freeforums.org/about-landscape-cc-quays-take-2-t313.html
http://banishedpeople.freeforums.org/about-landscape-cc-quays-take-3-t314.html

* The Irrigate Mod should be incorporated in MM...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

Thank you, but I don't really understand that irrigating tool. Anyhow, I did use the leveling tool and also one good piece, I found at the menu from these "slum houses" buildable on water, that connects the pier and the wood construction. That way at least no one disappears into the pier anymore. As I said, after this I didn't have that much patience anymore, to fix all the edges and corners in a perfect way. I do admire you guys, who can do such things, but sorry! Not my kind of game.  :-\

Nilla

Some more pictures

First picture

For the first time, I'm really pleased with one of my units. Of cause, the first thank is to you @kid1293 , who created this great mod. I decorated a bit, but not too much. I managed to use the landscape in a pleasant way; the wine and olives on the slopes around the buildings. The only thing that's "wrong" are the wheat fields. I will replace them with corn for the tortillas, as soon as I have the crop. I buy every crop, I can get, I must have 20-30 different but no corn yet.

Second picture

I had plans from the start, to involve this small island in a larger harbour unit, but it's too much work, so this is all there is.  :-\

I can see this game is getting towards its end. I have a few more things to make; I've started to build a train station and I will also build some of the more advanced CC houses, that I haven't tried before. I also had plans to build the White House but I suppose, I´ll better leave it. You never knows who moves in.  :-\ ;)

Discrepancy

Tom Sawyer

Yep, the mission looks very nice and especially with the wine growing on the surrounding hills. Wheat I find not wrong. Fits well. And I'd like to see the big harbor. But I notice some homesickness in your comments. ;)

Abandoned

Nilla, I too think your Mission looks very nice.  Please have mission cleric pray for us in this country with white house !  Eager to see how your choo choo turns out, that is my next mod to try. Sounds like some tricky trading in there.  How are you liking the mega mod?  I did not download it, now CC site is down.  I have most of the mods separate though.

Nilla

You are so right @Tom Sawyer! I do enjoy this game, but a rough, Nordic climate, where nothing grows, where people freeze and have to struggle to get enough supply, to make it through the winter. That's more my thing! It's like going on vacation to Italy or Spain (we try to make it 2 weeks each autumn). I enjoy it very much for a while, but after about 10 days, I feel that at home is nice, too and when it's time to leave, I use to be happy.  :-\ ::)

@Abandoned; The trade with Cho Cho isn't complicated at all. It's very convenient and relyable, as long as you sell only a few things and buy only a few things. It also has coins. You sell some things for coins in the station buildings, only one good at the time. There are different station buildings for different type of goods. The only thing you should pay attention to; building a station for the type of goods you want to sell. The train brings what you order, taking coins as payment. As it looks, you can order everything, except seeds and animals (at least I haven't seen any but the menu with the MM is huge, so I might have overseen it). Again only one type of good at the time. After you've choose, what you buy and sell, you must do nothing more. Everything runs automatically, until you want to change the goods you sell or buy. As far as I can see, the prizes are the same, as in the trading port. The train needs a little bit coal and the station a bit wood (for package, I think) but not much. So it cost a little bit, but less than order it by the merchant.

Here are some pictures;

First picture

Railway station area. Of cause, there has to be decent inn close for the people, who are waiting for the train. This one is very nice. I think it's from you @Discrepancy . You make very nice things. The huge barn is also fantastic.

I don't have to buy much, only a little building material. 2 trains and 4 station buildings are too much, but I haven't built any trains before, so I had to test it. I started to buy coal, to be able to run the train, now I buy apples, so I can run the brewery in the nice inn, so I can sell ale in the station...... to buy..... I don't know....  maybe a couple of stones and a little building supply or some fancy homeware.... ??? :o

Second picture

Of cause the inn needs a parking lot. You can also see that I have plenty of everything. Really no need for the trains.

Third picture

I like these houses very much, really nice. I wonder how many people have missed their train, because they stayed too long in the nice "Biergarten" from the inn.

Abandoned

Well that train is very nice, I like the layout of the tracks. The tavern and beer garden was a good choice to go with it.  I like those other house too.  Thanks for tips on buying and selling.  Will keep it in mind.

Nilla

Honestly, I'm a bit ashamed of the tracks. I'm happy that the train doesn't really leave. If it would, there would be a terrible train accident in one of these sharp bends! I was aware of the fact, that these tracks never would have worked in real, but on the other hand; if I build mills, that never could turn any mill stones, why not squeeze in some railrood tracks, that will cause the train to derail? After all; it's a computer game and not real life!  :-[ :-\ ;)

Nilla

Some new pictures.

We discussed upgrading a couple of days ago. I've made some. These tests haven't changed my mind about it. In normal cases; I don't like it.

First picture

The marked house is an upgrade from the houses around it. It needs a lot of rope(?) to be upgraded. Why would anyone like to demolish the old house just to build that tiny room on the attic?

Second picture

It looks like this is a Dutch colony; tulips, windmills and half timbered houses.:)

Here you can see an upgrade that might make some sense. The marked tailor building is an upgrade from the vanilla tailor. You start with a small tailor and simple clothes. Later you need more clothes and maybe also want to make more advanced clothings. The place you choose from the start, might be good and an upgrade make sense.

Same sense makes the upgrade of barns. You want to start with a cheap barn. Often it turns out to be too small after some time. In such a case an upgrade might be a good alternative to a second barn. But I would also like to be able to build it directly (I don't mean directly at the beginning of the game, but without the detour of another building).

Third picture

This is something I do like about these maps. Look carefully at the trees. The big trees are all "natural", no decoration trees. I've seen this many times; If a new tree grows (red circle), it's of the same kind as in the neighborhood. I have cut a few of these big trees, but this one, I will let grow a bit bigger, before I decide, if I cut it or not. This kind of trees don't grow here , so I don't know if it's good for the laundry to hang beneath it.  ;)

Nilla

I will also show you these pictures.

I wanted my railrood to go somewhere. Not just being a dead track. The rails divide shortly after the first railway station. The tracks right leads to a tunnel and out of the map (That tunnel caused a lot of trouble. The builders started to build and disappeared into the mountain, emerged somewhere far away, and starved to death  :'(  Dangerous work!). The track left leads to a second railway station.

I always like to look at the building phases. This big barn at the second railway station is a very good example. Look at the neat placement of the building materials. The rails will also lead into the barn.

Nilla

That's it! Vacation's over. I'm getting back home! This will be my last report from Knightwoodmor.

Did I enjoy my excursion in the world of the Mega Mod? Yes, I did, but honestly; it's not my kind of game. It's slowly getting boring. I'm far from "done". There are some half finished areas, but if it doesn't make fun anymore; it's time to say good buy. I can say loud and clear; I'm not very good at this kind of game. I'm quite pleased with some of my "units", but far from all and also the over-all-picture of my settlement is much too "fussy".  I haven't got the sense of putting things together in a pleasant way, like some of you guys.

What can I say about the Mega Mod? First I was quite overwhelmed. There are a huge number of....... everything. But strangely enough after a while; I wasn't disturbed by the many possibilities; the large menus, the long lists of goods and professions. Sometimes I knew, I had seen something but didn't found it again immediately, but it didn't really cause any trouble. I had no technical problems. It took some time to start Banished and load a game but otherwise; good to play.

Of cause the Colonial Charter does dominate the Mega Mod. You are basically playing an extended CC game. As you might have noticed; CC isn't "my" mod. The main reason is very clear, if you study another thread presented lately: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1351.0 . But in this game, I really didn't care much about the balancing. After a while, I didn't even bother to calculate any production numbers. I didn't care, if the running of a building was a "distruction of raw material" or a "disturbingly good business". I tried to produce as many things I could. I also changed the products a lot and only stopped the "worse" production sites, if I was running low on laborers/builders.

First picture

The second railwaystation with the big barn, I showed the construction of last time.

Second picture

I realized some time ago, that I didn't have one pasture, so I started this big farming area.

These travelling vendors are a "nuisance"! ;) If there's a small free space somewhere, one of them will park and offer their poor quality, cheap merchandise. The local tradesmen have tried to chase them out of town, but the people (and I) love them! :) (3 on this picture)

Third picture

This was my last screenshot. Unfinished governmental center. Nice buildings. You might even see that I've played a little with upgrading.

Fourth picture

Oh! A mistake! I'm back home!  ;D