News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

New Grains

Started by solarscreen, May 26, 2014, 06:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

I was watching a cooking show the other night and the chef used grapeseed oil on the grill, remarking that it had no flavour and didn't affect the flavour of the food being fried. I'd never hear that. In our parts grapeseed is available, but is a bit of a niche product.

In our local schools there is a strict ban on all peanut products and in the school our granddaughter goes to a ban on citrus because a teacher is allergic to the oil in citrus peel. Being allergic to soy must be a pain, since it seems such a common ingredient now. Almost as ubiquitous as corn products.

slink

I always have a problem envisioning any large quantity of grape-seed oil being produced.  Okay, I suppose the seeds from the grapes that go into making the wine that I drink have to be used somehow, but it seems like such a small volume for cooking purposes.  And, what is the point if it has no flavor?  I love the strong flavor and aroma of sesame seed oil.  I have never understood people who decry the "strong flavor" of olive oil.  Yes, olive oil has a mild flavor, but it's not like that makes food cooked with it inedible.  It's just a part of the flavor.

salamander

I'm surprised at the idea of grapeseed oil, too.  I always thought grapes stored their energy for seed germination in the form of sugars, not oils.  That's not to say that I don't think there's any oil in a grapeseed, but they're awfully small, and like slink said, it's hard to imagine it's worth extracting.  A bottle of oil must be expensive.

Kaldir

Well, if the seeds from grapes used in wine are indeed used for this oil, it might actually be a cheap bottle, if they otherwise just throw out the seeds.

salamander

Good point.  So far as I know, the big difference between red and white wines has to do with whether or not the skins are included in what's fermented.  I think the seeds are filtered out in both cases.  Still, though, that would be a lot of seeds.  Economics escapes me.

Moving back toward the OP's topic, how about sunflowers?  If we're going for aesthetics, fields of these are certainly nice looking.  What role would they serve in the game? ... Not my problem.  ;D

Kaldir

According to Wikipedia the annual wine production in France is 7 to 8 billion bottles. According to this page it takes about 300-400 grapes for one bottle of wine. So France uses about 2100 to 3200 billion grapes. With multiple seeds per grape, that is a nice amount of grapeseeds to create your oil. And that is just France.

--

And I agree with Sunflowers for aesthetics. Or, to stay in French region, how about Lavender? I don't see a real purpose except for beauty, but I love those purple fields.

mariesalias

@rkelly17  It is difficult finding products without soy in them. And almost impossible to avoid it completely. Soy is in almost everything! Luckily he is less sensitive to soy lecithin (protein) then he used to be so it is not as big an issue as it once was. He also is allergic to annatto, a natural food coloring, which is more annoying because people are less aware of it. We do avoid peanuts as they are related to soy and we have no wish to cause him a peanut allergy by introducing it to him before his body can handle it. In addition he is intolerant to dairy so cooking for him can be a challenge, especially given his texture issues!  I blame myself though. When I was pregnant I swore I would not be a 'short-order cook' for him (my older son was very picky when he was older), so I brought it all on myself. ;D

@slink  Olive oil can have a strong flavor in certain baked goods for me, especially. So I like oils that do not change the flavor profile much in certain dishes/products. My husband says I am too sensitive to tastes and smells though.

I don't think I've ever seen grapeseed oil in the store. I'm curious now, I'll have to see if any of our local ones carry it. Any niche products are hugely expensive up here though so it would probably not be practical to use.

Sunflower fields would be pretty and useful!

slink

Some people eat bread dipped in fragrant olive oil.  At least I only bake mine with it.   :D

I was baffled when someone posted elsewhere that they like to keep the kitchen separate from the dining area, to prevent "cooking odors" from interfering with their enjoyment of their food.  I figure that if I'm serving it to eat, the odor of it cooking should not be distasteful.  It's possible that they were using a euphemism for the odor from an open garbage can.  Or maybe they burnt everything at least a little bit, and only served the unburnt portions?   ;D

rkelly17

@slink, you'd love the building where our younger daughter lives in Toronto. About half the people in the building are from South Asia. After walking up to her apartment on the second floor I'm starving for curry.

Boris_amj

QuoteSome people eat bread dipped in fragrant olive oil.

We did that when I was young.
Sometimes we toasted the bread and rubbed garlic in it (yeah, I know!) then poured virgin olive oil on it.

It was (maybe still is) very common in Mediterranean countries, where the production of olive oil is very high.
There are parts of Spain where the olive fields stretch as the eye can see.
It would probably make a good crop for Banished, actually.

slink

Quote from: Boris_amj on May 28, 2014, 12:36:24 AM
QuoteSome people eat bread dipped in fragrant olive oil.

We did that when I was young.
Sometimes we toasted the bread and rubbed garlic in it (yeah, I know!) then poured virgin olive oil on it.

It was (maybe still is) very common in Mediterranean countries, where the production of olive oil is very high.
There are parts of Spain where the olive fields stretch as the eye can see.
It would probably make a good crop for Banished, actually.

Did I mention that I love garlic, too?  I know I posted a photo of my head-height-tall spice cabinet.   ;D

Here's a photo of my fermented garlic, fermenting and fermented.

slink

Quote from: Kaldir on May 27, 2014, 01:31:45 PM
According to Wikipedia the annual wine production in France is 7 to 8 billion bottles. According to this page it takes about 300-400 grapes for one bottle of wine. So France uses about 2100 to 3200 billion grapes. With multiple seeds per grape, that is a nice amount of grapeseeds to create your oil. And that is just France.

--

And I agree with Sunflowers for aesthetics. Or, to stay in French region, how about Lavender? I don't see a real purpose except for beauty, but I love those purple fields.

That field of lavender is beautiful.  I'd like to see some purple in the game.

Here is a link to an article about grapeseed oil, with some information about quantity of seeds available

http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5043e/x5043e08.htm

And another, with only yields from seed given in the abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15740076

salamander

Quote from: slink on May 28, 2014, 05:55:50 AM
That field of lavender is beautiful.  I'd like to see some purple in the game.

That would be very cool for looks.  I'm partial reds and blues, and purples are the best of both worlds.  I often plant apple and plum orchards just for the appearance of the fruit on the trees, and my favorite crop, by far, is the peppers.  I really like the way a pepper field looks when it matures.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

@RedKetchup, rice is nice, but isn't the climate in Banished too cold? And the geography wrong? The rice growing I'm familiar with is around Sacramento, California, where it doesn't snow and the land is flat river delta. I know that in Asian there are stepped rice paddies in hilly areas, but the climate is warmer and there is lots of water to flood the paddies. In China they grow rice in the South and wheat in the North, I think.