News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING OF AMERICA SERIES 3: Chunkerview

Started by brads3, April 14, 2019, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

YEAR 45

the pine village has 2 females that need houses.they can build north of the river and help at the 2nd maple forest. a hunter will be added and the other can help the forester plant more trees. while they are there the bannies built a FO chapel.much of the FO mod does require thatch.since the church doesn't, it is a good spot for it to tend to the forest workers.

the 2nd forester to plant maple trees does help.1 is not enough to keep up with the regrowth. the foresters can't even plant trees.they never stop cutting. these are the thickest forests we have ever seen.

sinece i had a good production year and this won't be,now is a good time to compare the orchards.mid 60's for a high summer temp and rainy.not a very good year for our farmers.by late summer,we are averaging about 80% from our crop fields.some are above 90 several below 75.the orchards are 60-75%.by falll some started harvest.the peaches and chesnuts are a loss.

with this saved,i will try and harvest early.we know the blackberry orchard will cause issues.once clicked to harvest.they can not be unclicked.will they reset for next spring? with the  frost,some of the fruit is lost faster than others.if the farmers waited til late fall to start harvest more would be lost.20% acorss 12 orchards would cost us roughly 1200 food.not counting the effects of the colder summer temps.by harvesting early, we managed to get some good production even with the cooler summer.

it took 2 trading posts worth of stock, but we picked up 4 holsteins.we will need another pasture for the dairy cows.  pigs seem to be breeding slower than they should. there are only 9.pigs can have more than 1 piglet each year,more like 6. in 7 years,we should have a full pasture by now. the sheep we got in year 39 have tripled.

the harvest buttons do reset in spring.the only 1 that wouldn't is the blackberry.

---------------------------------------------------
          i did go back to the save point and let the orchards harvest themselves.they did seem to start harvest earlier than i expected.sometimes they don't start until late fall. if i had started them in late summer so the harvest was completed before the fruit got frosted,i do think the difference would be more.

the harvest button works without causing a crash.however, after harvesting the blackberry,i wasn't able to reload the prior spring save without completely leaving the game.not a good idea to harvest those blackberries early. pears do well with the cold apples do not do as good. that is odd since apple trees do need the cold to produce fruit in RL.the berries do decent. blueberry might seem low but i think that is so the gathering isn't overpowered.i would  think in RL chesnuts and peaches would  be better than they are.maybe more like the mulberry production.

overall the orchards did better than i expected. with this climate we can't plant chesnuts or peaches.

i mention the regrowth of the trees a lot. there is a difference from prior versions of the RK to this 1.where it matters is with this nordic climate. the bannies have to gather food after the farmers harvest crops.food is so critical here. that takes time away from being able to clear land. even the land they do clear,grows back quicker than prior versions.the bannnies are working much harder i am trying to come up with a plan to deal with the growth better.it does make us scratch our heads.

pic 1:y45 stats,note the summer temp and crop growths.the maple forester had 1 worker until now.

pic 2: orchard growth save point.
pic 3: amount of fruit left as snow hit, this is with manually pushing early harvest
pic 4: outputs compared to a warmer summer

pic 5:FO chapel and nordic hunting cabin.

pic 6: test #2,reran the orchard test without using the harvest early button

brads3

YEAR 46

the bannies worked to clear and move supplies in the winter. they had often took time to start clearing for the next pasture so it did not take as long. the builders got it fenced and continue work on a house and barn.

a workplace church will be built. to show there are some color options,this will be orange.several of the churches do have some textured options. 4 more fields planted will be enough for this crop test.a tiny fishing pier and cottage works the south riverbank.a suagrbeet refinery can begin to produce sugar for blueberry jam.

the laborers found more time to clean up around the plantation village.even with 2 deaths, we had a productive year. we used up all our flax the RK tailor is switched to making cloth from cotton that we have scavenged.the sheep are starting to produce enough wool that we show a slight surplus of coins.

sunflowers,turnips,watermelons,and a field of mixed vegetables will be planted next spring.       

pic 1: holstein pasture
pic 2: workplace church
pic 3: fishing pier and cottage
pic 4: suagr refinery
pic 5 clearing west of the plantation village   

brads3

YEAR 47

all the crops and orchards are planted.we mat as well set up a pasture for red dairy cows.the schools graduate students for 4 houses to be built  each year. with so many children,another colonial school is built to the south.

a WW old church is completed. old salty will process fish. we did need a garden sorting shed for the vegetables.a combo forester works the production village with a gatherer.the colonial gardener now works east of the hospital.

the land was cleared for a pasture but we will need to haul logs to build the fence.

pic 1: clear roads around the greenhouses you can see the builders left copper ore.still it is better.
pic 2: old salty
pic 3 WW old church
pic 4: south colonial school 

brads3

YEAR 48

only a couple students graduated last year.we don't need to build houses.we will take the time to do more clean up. supplies are moved for the pasture fence and a GF wicked chuch.

we cleared up by the west wharehouse district's school. to help cut more trees and deal with any regrowth,a fodder hut was built. we can burn the fodder for fuel. the dung pile reserve has been used up.3 greenhouses uses just a bit more than the cattle pasture produces.once the fodder starts to grow, we can add a stable barn.

we did use the time to get more trees cut and haul in more food.

pic 1: red dairy pasture
pic 2: fodder hut and clearing
pic 3 GF church of the wicked

brads3

YEAR 49

once again, only a few graduate.the bannies don't need anything they have kept up on stocks. by making  a variety of tools and coats,they never run out.when low on furs,they use pelts or leather.same thing with stone,iron ore, and pine boughs for tools. most villages have a wood cutter. food is close to break even but trading brings in more.

the pine school is full so we need to build the larger Sherbrooke school.while there,we will do some clean up and add 2 houses.that area does need to grow more. after cutting treesthe builders stayed to layout more clear roads to stop some of the regrowth.

since it fits the style,an OT church was built for the plantation villagers.a gathering hut was built by the fodder hut to work the area.tyhis will give us a chance to see what foods can be colected with the fodder.the area outside the fort has been good at giving us blueberry and roots.

summer was cool with temps in the 60's spring had been warm enough, we had hoped for a better summer.the laborers worked hard to collect food, covering more ground than normal.the farmers finished harvests and took to gathering food from south of the colonial village.if they got time, more trees could be cut there also.

pic 1: Sherbrooke school and houses
pic 2: PV clean up
pic 3:  OT chapel
pic 4: gathering hut to work the fodder area

brads3

YEAR 50 REVIEW

that was a fast 10 years.population just short of 500. 72% educated with 120 houses,there are twice as many children as students.most of our elders have past on.there have been 1 or 2 deaths a year lately. 1 original settler is 80.

the last group of nomads arrived in year 10.we planted 1 each of the orchards and checked their growth with the weather.all the  crops habe been planted. a pasture was fenced for red dairy cows.they were ordered but haven't been delivered yet.we did replace the trade horses that died off.pigs are breeding slow.those 2 mods will be moved higher in the order.otherwise we vaen't had any issues. we have tried a few ideas to deal with the quick and thick regrowth.

we built 9 churches over the  last decade. we are only half way to the goal. more food is being processed. a variety of meats and 2 types of jams. we even make sugar from beets as well as cheese.we also make turpentine,some cloth and linen,as well as glass.the market vendors and traders have been busy moving supplies.

once the red cows arrive,tradng will have to be adjusted.by then,i should get the crop test done.then we can add more fields of crops that do better in this climate.another corn and oat field would feed the fort animals.

the plantation and colonial villages have growth a lot the last few years.more trees can be cut and clear roads layed out to  stop the regrowth in the plantation wharehouse district.the colonial village will expand to support more churches. i wanted to place RK orchard forests across north of the river. it would take some time before they would plant enough trees to fill the radiuses.instead,i could use the time to expand the west side of this map.  to finish building the churches should take about 15 years. to get the orchard forests set and producing would be more like 30.

pic 1: y50 stats
pic 2: production and limits
pic 3: inventory,note we are producing twice as much sand as the glass maker uses. can't increase worker on the glass

pic 4: population and food graphs
pic 5: east overview, opened up a lot since year 40
pic 6: SE overview
pic 7: west overview
pic 8: north overview

moonbelf

brads3

thanks,i thought everyone fell asleep. the bannies have hendled the food situation well it has been tight. the noridc climate does make it challenging.

brads3

YEAR 50

enoug students graduated to need 8 houses the bannies would be happy with 5.none of the villages needs a church the west has 2 large churches.before more churches can be built,i need to expand this map.

north of the mine village will be a monastary.  the workers are sent to build houses and cut trees.they have a lot of work to do.this well stretch the map north toward the west lake. for now, they need to build 5 houses and storage and open the land up. by next year they should start producing their own food to sustain the growth.

early summer starts with 71 degrees.this should be a good fr the crops.we held the 70's thru summer.
several crops started harvest in late summer,just before fall started. CC roots then KID's crops,sugar beets and vegetables were the 1st to start.all of them have good growth with the warm summer.temps fell quickly to 40 by mid-fall. averages at 80% harvested before frost.sunflowers show less than 40%.corn 55%.  all the fields produce above 500 with the warm temps. as soon as frost came,the strawberries started losing fruit.it was warm enough even the chesnuts were over 500.

what do we know? carrots grew quicker than expected,corn took longer.in RL these would be reversed. corn would grow sooner and the carrots wouldn't take a hit with frost since they are a root.some of these crops do show lower growth in the cool years than they should. oats,beans,rye especially.most are growing and producing as they should with the temperature swings.

the game makes it tough to mod these and the temps. the modders have done a good job with this.to get the low winter temps and shorter growing season we give up the chance of having better summers.the crops all do much better when it hits 70 and they produce more the longer it stays above 70.the way LUKE designed the formulas for the game makes it almost impossable to get a 70 without a hotter summer.or a higher overall average temp, which would make the growing season longer since the fall and springs would be warmer.  considering that,this climate is really close.         

i did screw up. since the potatoes were being traded for,i forgot to plant them, but planted an extra field of strawberries instead.i did leave space for a field back toward the orchards. i didn't do them all since some wouldn't grow in this climate. depending on mods and mod order you can get blueberry,onion,and herbs.CC has some others that can be added plus RED's dock sets have their own crops.

finally, the order of red cows arrived. the trading post emptied supplies to get us 5 of them.
------------------------

i did go back to a save point and hit the harvest early on all the crops that had not started.let the game  run to spring and it did crash when they would reset. with 27 fields, i do not know whcih 1 caused it.

pic 1: monastery village clearing
pic 2: MV housing and storage
pic 3:yr 50 summer temp
pic 4: crop growth before fall
pic 5:harvest to frost
pic 6: yields yr50
pic 7: red dairy cows

brads3

YEAR 51

we have more graduates.now the stats shows we need 9 houses.now that the red dairy cows are in their pasture,the farm TP can be emptied and disabled.one strawberry field was switched to potatoes.

while land is cleared and materials hauled for the monastery,houses can be built.a bee orchard,  walnut grove,and fishing pond will give them a tranquil park area,4 of 5 houses were finished before the monastery. 3 workers will work to produce cheese.the MG village has 6 food producing workers.

the laborers took time to cut more trees and haul rocks from the west side villages. the colonists plowed a field for more roots to be planted.next fall, they will make root beer.

the pig and sheep pastures are full the red dairy is half full.

pic 1: MV food producing park,bees,walnuts,and fish
pic 2: monastery and houses
pic 3: outputs of the potato compared to squash and the fodder meadow gatherer output

brads3

YEAR 52

we have plenty of leather.the plantation village will tan leather and make saddles.a nordic tannery and a EB leatherworks need built. the mod order should be set for this to work.the nordic tanery shows a graphic issue to the menu.it was designed to process reindeer and cow hides into leather for the North mod.it is far dfown the mod order. it can merge from the North back to leather for the EB processors.evidenty it wont read and use this leather.most likely a term difference of "hide" and "leather". i will have to build the EB tannery.admitted, i was pushing a mod.

the monastery village added a market plaza complete with a soup and grill. to supply them,they will plant potatoes. they now have a chapel and cemetary.

pic 1: monastery chapel and cemetary
pic 2: nordic tannery and EB leather works
pic 3: EB tannery
pic 4: market plaza,soup,and grill   

brads3

YEAR 53

the fodder hut is harvesting enough fodder for a stable to be built.that will help our greenhouses.

while we wait on lumber,2 corn fields are plowed at the pine village. they will feed a dairy barn.it is part of Necora's collection. while they are there,the laborers haul materials for the Sherbrooke church.

the colonists added another market plaza south of the fort. a GF market was added for the south pasture  workers.trees were cleared to extend the road west.the sand pit was shut down since we were getting 4 times as much sand as glass. i do wish i could have sent 2 workers to the glass maker.the north maple forest drops back to 1 worker and the other is sent to help gather sap.the kiln makes charcoal from logs to keep from using up the pine boughs.

the monastery doesn't produce enough cheese to support 3 workers.1 will leave and cut firewood for the soup and grill.1 worker was sent to fish the pond also.it might need another field to produce a grainthey are content for now.

an outbreak of measles started with a child from the plantation village.it did infect the cleric by the hospital.the doctor isolated them both and nobody else caught it.

that was a busy year. the bannies did take time to gather more food in the fall and winter.we have 139 houses.

pic 1 fodder and gatherer output
pic 2: stable barn
pic 3: south colonial market
pic 4:Necora's dairy,requires domestic animals to build and is fed corn.
pic 5: GF market
pic 6: my precious smelter, will use RED's silver and gold ores. makes CC pfenning.too bad it does not make "coins"

brads3

YEAR 54

each year starts with me trying to plan a church then buildings around it. since the jail acts like a church,it will be added  south of the fort.while there, the bannies decided to clear trees. the combo forester did cut half of the trees out already.he heads back to the plantation village.

as the laborers cleared land,i widened the roads with clear roads and used them around the buildings.it will slow down the regrowth. a bridge across the river will make travel for the market vendor easier.a post office and plenty of storage was built. the tiny fishing pier was producing well so a 2nd was added near the bridge.since they have a western look,they set up a placer mine  to pan for silver ore. a mayors office,bakery, and a wagon shop to  were finished during the winter.

blueberries,veggys,wheat,oats, and tomatoes will be planted next spring.

pic 1: ketchup factory
pic 2: jail that acts a church
pic 3: post office that is a house
pic 4: bridge,placer mine,and tiny fish pier
pic 5: wagon shopthe bannies did a nice job of cleaning up and adding roads
pic 6: mayor office and bakery

brads3

YEAR 55

The mines need to be dug deeper so we head back across the river.fields and orchards extend south of the production village. while there a hospital and ale stand were built for the miners. an RK mill was constructed to process the extra barley.with the m iners help,more land would be cleared faster. construction took time. winter snows came as the mines were completed.

our wharehouses are filling up.it isn't 1 item but a mixture of several.to help open space,a SLINK'S textile market will move leather back to the leatherworks. more trade adjustments should help also.we are ahead on goods but behind on food.

several of the large colonial houses have 8 family members living in them. as they produce more food, they are also eating it back up. the greenhouses are prodcuing more and trading is bringing in more. even so the last few years have used more of our reserves.

pic 1: RK greenhouse outputs
pic 2:RK mill
pic 3:RH hospital and deeper mines
pic 4: working toward the 2nd GF church

brads3

YEAR 56

we need to dig another mine for salt.the stables produces enough fertilizer to handle a 4th greenhouse.and a bakery to use the barley flour will go by the GF market.as those are built, the bannies need to clear more land. we need fields to get our food production back up.to increase food and to put extra workers to work,we doubled workers at most of the beekeepers.

we produced about 15,000 more food this year than last. we are still behind 10 houses with all the graduates. materials were moved for the Cathedral of the Joyous.the builders are a little behind.

pic 1:GF bakery
pic 2: salt mine
pic 3 4th RK greenhouse
pic 4: foundation for the 2nd Gf church