News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Kid - Tiny V3.0

Started by kid1293, July 17, 2017, 06:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatinho65

@ancientmuse I do change mods for every map, I pick and choose which I want, some stay the same. With my system I had no conflict with 106, one of the reasons I was hesitate to update. I have had only one (not my fault) problem since.  I have not had to change my load order except when updating and when adding a new mod, that is a pain when they need to be moved to the lower half of my alphabetical list. I have 290 mods. To me it is fun and part of the strategy to choose the mods for a map, conflict problems is no fun.  No overcrowded icon toolbar, no problems finding item I want.  Works for me.  :)
[/quote]

Hey Abandoned, I saw this post and had to risk ask a question not entirely related to this thread lol. Although I did notice Kid's buttons do change and I couldn't figure out why lol.

I would LOVE to play Banished this way, having all the mods already in a correct loading order so that I can enable the ones I want for each game. Since I play slow games, it would be wonderful to switch from game to game without having to go through emptying my folder, doing the registry cleanup etc each time lol. I have had quite a terrible time so far getting my game to play without crashing after several hours of work lol, and figuring out which of the mods is causing the problem. And I have far fewer than 290 mods! So, have you already or would you consider posting a listing of your mods in the order in which you have them in your game? That way I could probably follow along with the mods that I have.

I'm using only 1.07 and I don't use CC or MM ever. So leaving those out might make a loading difference but I'm not sure.

In particular, I love the Maritime trees and would love to add them to the vanilla trees in lots of games, but I can't get that to work at all with any of the other building and production sets, particularly DS's mods.

I also love NatDiv and New Flora, but also have real trouble getting those mods to work with anybody else's mods except for Kid's Colonial sets and the Mission so far. I don't know if it is a load order thing, or conflict when it comes to changes in production streams or collection buildings.

Anyway, it would be great to start from a list from a player who has made things work smoothly as you say;)

brads3

@gatinho65
   do you have RED's trader fix mod loaded and at the top of the mod order? if the game is actually runing with no issues and crashing for no apparent reason,it msot likely is not a conflict due to the mods you have.since you say you are using some 1.06 mods,i would wonder if it is a merchant boat loading and then the crash.if it was a particular mod,the crash should happen when you click on a building or soon after you try to build or set a worker to the building.
      the new nat div mod does cause major slowdowns. i chose to go back to the 1st version and that functions well.NECORA's pine mod does have a patch to help get the new flora mod working.you will want the pine mod loaded near the top of the order above the nat div mod and above whatever mod you use to set the map conditions.other start condition mods do work with it but some work above and some below the pine mod.you can also use the maritime tree mod that brings the trees without all the other parts to the set.
        when in the mod order window,if you click the minimize icon on the mod, it will show a list of conflicts and the files.note with the new community icon,mods will show conflicts due to that.when you scoll down to the files,the top files will normally be the community icon files.scrolling way down though will show the main problem files.where this can help is you can use the list of conflicting mods to figure out if a start mod is affected by the pine mod.since the start condition mods don't show in the community icon they will show less files that are affected.this can be handy info when trying to figure out the mod order.
      i will give you an example. the seasonFX mod has a conflict with many mods. going through the files shows the most conflicts are related to trees.
since we want the pine mod's trees,we would put the seasonFX below the pine mod to be sure it doesn't block the new trees.the other files in the seasonFX will still load and work.as it is in my list,the seasonFx gives a different lok to crop fields.
      there will be times you do want the conflict above another mod.such as the bakery plus mod or the forever tree mod.some will be trial and error because each player has their own style and wants.there is a write up on mod orders to make it easier and faster under the tips and tricks forum.
      1 thing to remember is the registry will remember the order even if you move files in and out of the WINDATA folder. if you take a file out without disabling the mod,the game will skip it next time and load without it.if you put the file back in,it will put it back in the order where you had it last time.this can help moving the files around and save you having to disable,reload,exit,and completely reload the game. by moving the file out the game will disable and load in 1 step by itself.you can use this trick for more than 1 mod at a time also.  be advised if the game crashes out most times it will rewrite the mod order and screw this up.if you crash out,double check the order. it is aggravating to start and play a game for a while then find out the order is wrong and you need to start completely over.it ight not shuffle all the mods, but that 1 wrongly placed mod will be the 1 you need.

Abandoned

@gatinho65 I'm sure @kid1293 will not mind me monopolizing his thread for a little bit.  :)  It was much easier to avoid problems and conflicts with 106 and before the community tool bar but I will be more than happy to share my system.  The tool bar buttons will change if an older mod is in mod list order before and updated or newer mod.  If I recall correctly I had that occur before I updated Kid's Colonial mod.  It is now 2 part Colonial Housing & Colonial Resources.

I will start a thread under Tips and Tricks as soon as I can.  You may want to read Brads3's thread pinned to the top of that topic.  He does use CC but not Mega.  I do not use Mega at all and I have CC in a separate installation.  I also have The North separate.  Also I do not as yet have all the updated mods of EB or DS and many I have updated I have yet to try.  My last few Village Blog stories may give you some idea of how I play the game.   I do have and use the mods you mention so I will give tips, most are early in the list. I have my mod list divided into 3 parts, the first part is divided into 2 groups, the 1st is critical to avoid problems and conflicts.  I will start with part 1 as soon as I can.  At the moment I am a little pressed for time at home and am doing a story.  I will at least make a start in a day or so.  I will be more than happy to help.

gatinho65

Thanks for pointing me towards your village blog stories, I'll check them out and learn;) I have read the Tips and Tricks and Paeng's tips on cleaning up the registry, very helpful if a bit challenging at first on a mac lol. I'm hoping it has made a difference, although I am still having problems. I'm starting to dread ever using the trading post, vanilla or otherwise, somehow that is always always always when problems arise. I'm starting to think I will have to just use the debug menu and 'cheat' my way towards the other products and livestock:( I simply can't get my game to progress past the trading, every time a boat starts to approach I get tense because it will crash the game lol.

If you do a tutorial thread on how to load and arrange mods so that it doesn't require a drastic cleanup before each and every game, that will so great. I would love to know how to include all the extra production lines and products and flora that doesn't end up crashing every single game I run that uses any of them, even all on their own.

All the buttons seem to show up on the community tool bar, which is great, but then it does make it hard to figure out which mod is causing a problem, and when, and why lol. I group the mods together, but even then no guarantee. Kids mods are the only ones so far that mostly play out okay well into the game. DS works fine until the trading post, and every single EB mod crashed my game before even loading the menu. No matter if I start all over from scratch just as Paeng details. I don't know how much of any of this is related to running the game through Play On Mac, which has worked flawlessly for the vanilla game.

Now that the developer has stopped working on his mac version for good, I'm hoping that enough mac users will create a sticky thread about how to navigate Banished on mac using what is available as best we can. Including the mods if that is possible for many of them.

Pardon again for the modest hijack of the thread lol, I hope at least Kid reads how much I love his mods. I've used the Colonial sets the most, so beautiful, even if my game crashes later on lol (and I do think it is somehow trading post related). I'm hoping to find a village blog really using his Mission and Tequila sets, I really like those even though I don't have access to some of the flora and terrain tools that I think CC provides as far as I can tell. Too bad some of those weren't created as modules on their own, I would love to have more plants and terrains and climates since CC is never going to load for me lol;)

kid1293

Hello @gatinho65 !
Glad you like my mods. Can you tell if the problem is connected to my Colonial trading post?
I realise it crashes when a boat arrives to the port. It is somehow connected with the update to 107.
I thought I had taken care of that.
Have you built any other traders?

Abandoned

@gatinho65 check out my blog story #2 is Mountain Mission and #14 is SW Tequilaville.  There is a CC Terrains mod to download on this site, It has all the cc terrains to use without using cc.  I have never done anything with the registry.  It would be interesting to know if there is a problem with Mac and mods.  Going to go ask that in general discussion.

Hi Kid  :)

brads3

@gatinho65    to fix the trading post erros use this mod above all other mods in your order. it should solve the issue.
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=280

gatinho65

@kid: Yes, I did have a constant crashing with your colonial trader. Only after restarting 5 times lol, did I actually get the boat to dock and do the trade. I was only using your trading outpost and not the vanilla in addition.

But I also have problems with all the traders, including the vanilla.

@brad: I have that mod that is supposed to fix the trading posts but I didn't know if it conflicts with other mods that have changed the vanilla trading post to accommodate the new trading goods.

Right now, I have all DS's mods installed including his jetty pack, which has a few specific trading posts as well as changes to the vanilla. I am using only the vanilla in order to get a chance at livestock but it also has crashed 3-4 times in a row, I finally got the boat to dock and do a trade. But it means sitting at that spot on x1 and just watching and hoping it actually docks. If I'm doing other things in the game, I know for certain that when it crashes, it is because of the trading boat lol. Really frustrating. When I had the generic trading post fix mod enabled, the game crashed before loading the menu, so I figured it was a conflict with DS's trading post fixes as part of his jetty pack. It gets really confusing to know when to use the generic fix and when it might conflict, or if it does.

As it doesn't seem that the various other modded/created trading posts deal in livestock, am I wrong to think I always need to install it in order to get livestock? If any of you know of a modded trading post, especially if it isn't as huge as the vanilla lol that also provides livestock traders, let me know.

I have never gotten kid's Tiny 1.4 trading posts to work, and in fact the Tiny mod has caused problems, I finally took it out of the load, which is a shame as it is so useful! I always plant a forester in my town centers because I like trees everywhere in my towns and the Tiny gardening shack is perfect. Has this happened to others, or is there something more wrong with my load that is causing problems for Tiny? It is the only Kid mod that seems to have caused me problems.

I will enable that generic vanilla trading post fix for 1.07 and see if that helps, but I think I stopped enabling it because the games would crash almost right away and I thought it was the culprit.

I also seem to always crash rather quickly if I have enabled the additional livestock mods, the animals from CC like horses and llamas and ducks. Is that normal? Does it matter where in the load order they are?

In the few games where I have been able to play 12-15 years before the crashing just makes me stop lol, I have never had a livestock trader arrive, ever, from any trading post lol. Is this normal? Are the livestock traders only triggered by a certain population number? I don't remember that from playing before.

The following link is the article by paeng talking about cleaning the registry, and it does seem to have helped me. When I had emptied the WinData folder there were still all the registry items, so cleaning them out did seem to make the game start up better and prevent conflicts with the mods that I then installed in a fresh WinData folder. I just do the whole procedure before starting a new game with a particular set of mods I want to try and hope work well together. If anyone else reading this thread is also playing on a mac, double clicking the regedit exe runs it with PlayonMac without a problem and you can find where the items to be deleted are.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/banishedpeople/starting-a-new-game-without-crash-t268.html

Tom Sawyer

It sounds to me like too many different mods confusing each other. Instead of putting even more mods to try to fix something I would suggest to clean it up and to choose a consistent set or a known combination of mods. Maybe it could be helpful to have a list of game setups with tested mod combinations or something like this.

gatinho65

@Tom: I actually have only general grouping of mods at a time enabled, I'm more describing how I'm trying to get any of them to work even on their own lol. By on their own, I usually mean a group by one creator that is supposed to be used together, like DS, or Kid, or Maritime etc.

Right now, I only have DS Small village set enabled which is buildings, storage, production, and jetty, tunnels, bridges, iSeeFire flames, Kid's decorative plants (not NMT crops) and that's it. No terrain, no flora, no other building sets, no other animals, nothing extra. So about 13 mods, almost all from the same creator, DS. Plus, debug, which has not given me problems so I usually have it enabled. And that's it, nothing else in my WinData folder.

When I tried The North, I only included the mods you listed, but perhaps not the 1.06 versions so I'd have to look at that again. But right now, all the North related mods are not in the WinData file. I remove all mods I'm not actually using unless I'm playing the game.

I also have another folder of Kid's Colonial mods, and another folder of Kid's Old West/Mission/Tequila mods. Each folder has only those handful of mods that I would like to use as a theme. So only really about 4-10 mods are even in the WinData folder at any given time. And none of them are in the WinData folder while I'm playing another set of mods.

So before each game, I have to empty the WinData, restart the game, reload, ext. Then run regedit, delete the items previously installed, then load the mods from the particular folder into WinData, start the game, enable the mods, load the menu, exit. Then restart the game, load new, and hope it all works for more than 10 years lol! Usually until a trader arrives and I get sick of constant crashes. That's it.

So, ideally I would love to have a way to have all the mods already in the WinData folder in a load order that allows me to enable/disable for particular games without a conflict. That way, I only am actually running 5-15 mods at any one time but I don't have to empty and reload constantly for just one game at a time. And I have to use a notebook near my computer and make careful notes of which town with which mods I am using so I get it right in case I switch from game to game lol.

Sorry for all the detail lol, I just didn't want anyone to think I'm trying to jam everything possible into the WinData folder and somehow magically make it all work lol;)

Some mods would be nice to have for most games, like the additional livestock and the terrain mods. But do those conflict with some of the other mods? In that case, I will just leave them out. So far I've had no trouble with the CC Terrain module (NOT CC itself, don't use that at all). Just with the individual CC animal mods.

So yes, I would LUV to see a few of you longer term players list a compatible set of mods with load order for particular themes that seem rather conventionally compatible and have worked well in games you have played:

Maritime/Colonial sets from Kid and others
Kid's Mission/Tequila/Wild West/livestock/terrain
DS medieval set/other medieval flavored mods (would love to get Maritime Pine Set/Flora to work with these too), can't get D20 medieval houses to work:(
TheNorth/DS Medieval?/other medieval/other Nordic/maybe Maritime Flora?/other livestock?
EB mods, I can't get any of them to work all by themselves or with any other set

And certainly a note when/if New Flora and NatDiv full OR NatDiv Light are usable and when they are not.

And if any older 1.06 mods work okay with any of the above groupings, that would be great to know too.

If it really does require a constant cleanup and loading of just the handful of mods that work well together for a particular game, that is fine, I love the game and I will do it lol. At least that would be a great beginning. If there is some way to do what @Abandoned seems to be able to do and have lots of favorite mods always in the WinData folder and just enable each grouping as needed, that would be great but maybe not possible lol.

gatinho65

@brad: just reread your tips, so I will try to notice what you said about info in the mod order window, I never noticed a button that shows me potential conflicts lol I just see the green or red color depending on if enabled or not lol.

Also, didn't realize that a crash could reorder the mods, I will have to definitely check the order each time I have to restart a game after a trading post crash lol;)

Edit: I love when the village blogs include the mods used, if a load order was also included that would be even more fantastic lol;) I'm just getting started reading them so now I will take better notes on groupings that work well! I haven't read many of the village blogs yet because first glance made me think many of them use MM or CC, which I will never be able to use. But I will have to pay more attention and find the village blogs that use smaller groupings of mods instead.

brads3

this is a weird problem. surprised it crashes on a vanilla trading post. you are running 1.07 and it says the verions numbers on the screen? most mods nowdays will show red even if they don;t really conflict due to the community icon button.
   you can do as you say leave the mods in the windata and just disable and enble them. BUT always remember when you disable or enable a mod,you MUST completely exit and reload the game after doing so.if not then it will do funny stuff and add to those crashes.
   did you try to turn off the autosaves?did you try changing the dx from 11 to 9? does it crash if you run it with no mods and the vanilla trader?

gatinho65

@brad: I have had trading post problems even just playing vanilla, I don't know why, and since I had those problems playing my first version of the game way back when I didn't see it as all that unusual. Trading posts always seemed tricky to me, I thought it was just a glitch of the game to adapt to.

I'm using my official purchased GOG 1.07 version and not a copy from any of the usual places lol, and I installed it according to the tutorial on the Banished site for playing it on a mac, I think written by the developer himself.

I did change the dx to 9. I do have autosave on, mostly because I often have to rely on one when the game crashes before I have thought to save myself lol. Is it better to run the autosave off? Is there a time period where it makes sense to have autosave as a backup? If it causes nothing but problems I guess I can turn it off and just depend on the luck of my memory to do it lol. I do tend to save after each significant event, like a construction project or births of children near the start of the game.

In the mod load window I definitely now look to see what version is listed, 1.07 or something else. And as I understand it, the red window just means the mod uses the community toolbar, right? However, is there another way of noting which mods may share conflicting code? I guess I don't know how to see that or what it looks like. It seemed that you suggested there was another button that I hadn't noticed before, I will study it again when I start up the game later. Right now I've been reading the village blogs lol;)

Edit: Ah, @brad thanks for pointing out that little minimize button! If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't even have seen it and been able to open up that screen! Okay, so I'm guessing all the light yellow means that the mod uses the community toolbar, right? And the brighter yellow means it conflicts with another use of the toolbar? Is this why load order matters, to make sure that the right mod is loaded first so that the bright yellow version is the one that takes precedence? Or the other way around? If the mods are from the same creator and the darker yellow shows conflict, does that just show that only one of those files will be loaded? Is that why the load order matters even in mods from the same creator or part of a set that is meant to go together? So, that is why loading DS Wagon markets above DS Production matters, so that the production buildings will be able to make the DS Wagon Market parts?

Is there a way to use this little minimize button information to see if there is an actual conflict that matters between the mods from different creators?

Also, thanks @brad for pointing out that moving a mod in and out of the WinData folder will still keep its loading order in place as long as I haven't deleted that bit of info from the registry. So, a mod that was in a certain order can be popped in and out and will still be in the correct place regardless of alphabetical order lol. Nice to know. As long as the original placement of loading is correct! Otherwise, best to start over lol. Anyway, thanks for the detailed tips, I really would not have noticed some of these things myself at all, if ever lol.

Abandoned

@gatinho65 if you had this problem playing the vanilla game then I would say the problem is your installation or that you are on Mac.  Did you check the Shining Rock Software site if there is any information there, technical info or something on the forum perhaps. Perhaps before anything else you might want to uninstall and reinstall your game.

Paeng

@Gatinho - I'm a bit worried about your problem with tradeposts, that's certainly not "normal"... so not sure, it could be a Mac-specific thing.  :(

As for mods in general - quite a while ago  I decided to stick to "107-ready" mods only (see my listing here). I never looked back, and with ~4Gb mods available now I don't feel pressed to add in any "old" (pre-107) mod and risk crashes, or extensive fiddling with load orders and stuff.

* I do maintain a few "old" mods, too - but those were all tested and found problem-free.

I have used all the mods listed there in various suites - meaning that for every town I choose a different set of mods, usually starting with a rather small basic set (20 to 30 mods), then adding more mods as I play along (usually ending up with 60 to 80 loaded mods, sometimes more). Note that once you have added a mod, you should keep it in that town (in your windata), do not start pulling out mods from windata in a running game, that will only confuse the win registry. Adding mods to a running game = fine. Deleting mods from a running game = danger.

As for load order - I don't really bother with that (an advantage of using 'certified' 107 mods)... By now all our modders have cleaned up their sets in a commendable way, looking at my setup it's all mixed up in no particular order.

* One exception may be Necora's sets, as they introduce a lot of things like trees and spawns and chains and more - sorry, I did not test those deeply yet.

The only things I place on top are specific start conditions, and specific overrides (e.g. UI mods, pickmeup, immortal orchards and similar items). Those are easy to identify and can be sent to the top with one click.

Once I close a town, I delete all windata, saves and screenshots and clean the registry (like you described), then choose a fresh suite of mods and start a new game... about once a month, so it does not seem a "chore" to me - actually I enjoy the process  :)

Again - that's just my way to ensure a crash-free game without much concern for load orders... other players, other priorities  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]