News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod recommendations

Started by Justvipermad, November 11, 2023, 01:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justvipermad

Hi, new here but not new to banished or mods really. Been playing for 10 years at least, on and off.

I liked the base game but mods really made it. I've had a lot of fun with RK editors choice and DS mods, as well as medieval themed ones.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good mods along a similar line to DS Celtic Houses etc for that Iron Age / early human vibe?

My setup isn't powerful enough really for the mega mod bundles. Any help appreciated and glad this sort of place exists for this type of discussion.

Thanks,
VM

catty-cb

Quote from: Justvipermad on November 11, 2023, 01:20:55 AM
.... along a similar line to DS Celtic Houses etc for that Iron Age / early human vibe?
..... Any help appreciated and glad this sort of place exists for this type of discussion.

I think the celtic house is pretty much it for that time period, everything else seems to be medieval type houses, I think you would have to serious consider maybe "the north" which is viking based to get the look you are after

https://www.banishedventures.com/

Also we have a Banished subbranch over here

https://community.simtropolis.com/clubs/40-banished/

Set up after WoB unexpectedly disappeared for a short time, while it was between site owners

Justvipermad

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look and see.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fun and engaging production chains?

galensgranny

Other cultures at that time did not make round houses.  Some made long houses, or more squarish shapes.  Some of clay or stone depending upon where in the world it is.  You can look and see if some of Kid's mods might be suitable for sort of what you are wishing for.  They might not be like homes in the iron age, but they don't look medieval.  Something like Forest Outpost ,  maybe Kid & Abandoned - Hobbits.  Some of homes in DS Stone Hovels are not medieval.   Then, as catty-cb said, there is Tom Sawyer's The North Mod.  You can get the whole game changing mod, or just some of the buildings he has as "singles".

theonlywanderer

Watch out for North 7, it has an aging mod built in that slows the settings down.   North 6 has no aging mods.

brads3

click on the mods discussion 1.07. under that are lists of mods the various modders have made. DS made many mods, inculding the DS Industry mod. You can make glass, smelt gold, pottery, and bricks. you might want to check the North site for turf houses. They should fit well with the Celtic theme.

Justvipermad

Quote from: galensgranny on November 11, 2023, 06:17:08 PM
Other cultures at that time did not make round houses.  Some made long houses, or more squarish shapes.  Some of clay or stone depending upon where in the world it is.  You can look and see if some of Kid's mods might be suitable for sort of what you are wishing for.  They might not be like homes in the iron age, but they don't look medieval.  Something like Forest Outpost ,  maybe Kid & Abandoned - Hobbits.  Some of homes in DS Stone Hovels are not medieval.   Then, as catty-cb said, there is Tom Sawyer's The North Mod.  You can get the whole game changing mod, or just some of the buildings he has as "singles".

I am actually an archaeologist but thank you.

The North sounds like a good place to start. I tried it a long time ago but it was in its infancy and a bit unstable back then. I'll have a look at the page you've linked and download to try.

galensgranny

@Justvipermad   I have been playing The North for several months and it seems stable to me.  I use some of Kid's, EB's and Discrepancy's houses with it and there isn't a problem.

Justvipermad

Great thanks alot! I'll definitely give that a try. I have been playing DS package recently.

What sort of production lines does The North have?

brads3

There are a couple of main differences for thed NORTH. TOM uses a bog iron ore. Then it is smelted into iron. This process chain is the same but due to the iron ore being named different mods that use iron ore get confused. this is why the other main mods , RKEC and CC, don't work well with it. beyond that, you can make bricks and roof tiles from clay and glass from sand.

The climate is harsher so crop production gives lower outputs. you will have to micro-manage a lot in the erarly years to keep enough food and firewood supplies. even on a mild setting , it is a north mild. weather will b closer to Norway and Sweden than Italy.

The North has a happiness system to it. this matters to production outputs. this alone makes the North unlike any other mod. unhappy bannes do less work. a unique and critical part of the North.

I recommend reading some of NILLA's blogs on using the North mod such as this 1-
https://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=3130.msg61770#msg61770

as others have said, many of KIDD's mods will work fine up North. which to use depends on player's own playstyle and goals.  you may want to use KIDD's farmyards to help food production. they won't be as effected by the cold climate. same applies to his greenhouses.

galensgranny

The North has production chains for tools and other items, clothes, glass, bricks and I think that is it.  There is also food preservation to make food go further, such as salting, smoking or baking bread.  It is best to look at the Wiki on the Banished Ventures website to see what is needed for what and how things work. 

In The North, in order to make iron, (which gets called "iron bars"), first you need to either gather iron ore from the bog areas, or mine it.  Then you need to make a Bloomery, which makes iron bloom from the ore and charcoal.  Then the blacksmith shop can use the iron bloom to make iron bars to then make tools and other things.  To get charcoal, you need to make a charcoal pit or a tar kiln.  To make the Bloomery and mine, you need some clay, so then you need a clay pit. You would want to start getting iron bar production up and running early as they run out of tools sooner than you might think.  As Brad said, micro manage- after you get a bit of one thing you need, halt production, fire the worker and assign the worker to another task.  However, Tom made a Stone Tools addon, which is separate from the main mod, where you can get tools started with just stones, since it will take a while to get the blacksmith up and running.

For clothes, to make a wool tunic, you need sheep, then make wadmal from the wool, and then you need leather which is made in the tannery from deer or cow hide.  So, at first, you will need to make Hunter's Frocks, which just takes leather.  But, of course, first you need to hunt deer to get the hides.  To make fur coats or winter clothes, you also need leather.  To get fur you need the Trapper's Cabin, but that needs traps to build, which are made in the blacksmith, so early on furs won't be possible.

Fortunately, you can make Hunter's Frocks from the Campfire, which only needs stones and firewood, so you won't need to build the tailor shop at first.  The Campfire worker is a hunter, and you can have the hunter hunt deer you see by using the Hunting Tool.  That thing is great!  Then when you close the Hunting Tool, the hunter goes back to the campfire.  The Campfire can also make roasted venison.

Brad mentioned the Happiness system of The North to get better workers.  Tom made an article about it at https://www.banishedventures.com/howto-happiness/