News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Infamous Curved Roads... Possible assistance idea

Started by theonlywanderer, November 17, 2018, 11:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theonlywanderer

Sorry, I had to leave after the last test and been gone all day.

Thanks!!   So far these are awesome!!    How about the larger radius options without the grid?  This would be fine.   

Keep the current ones as they are and anything larger we'll need to combine your radius options.  We'll place down the larger radius without a grid and use the smaller radius options to place along where the road will be.   It will work out great.     The larger ones are actually the more important ones for connecting the outpost type areas.   They always seem to be in a place where you have to make long roads and then make that ugly diagonal to the final connection.   The larger radius will help make that a nice gentle curve between the two points.   The current sizes will be great for more localized areas.      I'm going to go put the current ones to use and post some examples.

theonlywanderer

Interesting idea, Antiligent...      Is that even possible?   Seems if that was possible, we would have a full on curved road command already, so I doubt it.  Be interesting to see if somebody wants to tackle that.

kid1293

Hi and Good Morning :)
I have only one model for flag+grid (easiest) . The circle is in every flags code.
I can make a larger grid but I don't know what happens when it reaches the
edge of the map. I will have to test.
If I go up to radius=33 I will have a 67x67 tiles large grid and that's a lot.
Maybe I should make a separate grid? (a blue flag  ;D )

theonlywanderer

Here is a quick shot of your efforts working out already!!!   

To do that before would be way more difficult unless you let the game follow the base of the mountain and I hate the way the default method  messes up the base of the hills once the path is flattened.  Now, with the template... we can curve around all that stuff without messing up the base!

kid1293

Nice to see it working!
Do you want grid separate? (solves some problems) A 25x25 grid , ghosted if I can.

theonlywanderer

I am perfectly fine either way.  I have no idea what causes problems from the mod side of things.    As long as others have a way to pop the grid in place with the smaller radius option, it's good.   Because the gridline is MegMod and lots of people don't use MM so they won't have a grid unless you provide one somehow.

kid1293

Not really a problem but I think a 67x67 grid and a 3 radius circle is overkill.

theonlywanderer

Here is a perfect example of a larger radius use....

At the bottom....   connecting near those adobe houses and swooping all the way around between the river and the mountain to another open area to the right.  Also giving access to the small point at the bottom.

Normal way would be to 45 at the houses then straight all the way across... snooooze!!   Trying to figure out that swoop would be pain without a guide.

Is there anyway to increase the height of the flag to avoid conflicting with the mountains?

kid1293

Yes, I can increase flag height but how high is enough?

theonlywanderer

I don't know...  there seams to be some kind of height limit for mountains that are inside the usable map.   They only get really tall in the unusable areas.

kid1293

I guess that mountain height is moddable. Someone could make a map with very high mountains.
I haven't checked it but if I extend flag 10 tiles up it would be sufficiently high for most cases?
It will look ridiculous but it will work.

I am making a yellow flag (same height?) to place a grid. All this is only temporary so the look
do not have be perfect. You may end up with a porcupine on the map :)

Real Life intervenes and I have to go. I will continue later.

theonlywanderer

How does the bare pasture work?   They can be made all the way on top of a mountain and conform to it?

It's fine however it looks, they are only temporary and get removed after the road is built.

Ie... the last example I posted.    Throw down the radius... throw down the grid... make the road... remove the flags.

theonlywanderer

Here is another example...    the flag would need to be on top of the mountain.     The road would swoop around the base and through that canyon on the right.

I just realized the grid itself is selectable.   So if you keep using the grid even on the larger radiuses if you think it's doable and just make the flag capable of being placed inside mountains, we're golden!   

Another solution if full grid can't be used....    can a ghosted flag be placed at all 4 quadrants that can be selected?   There should always be one visible at that point and if the others are buried in the mountain, no issue.

Ie...   I can place some of the ghosted trees anywhere on the map, even inside the tallest mountains.   So, if the flags were placed at each quadrant, the circle could be placed anywhere on the map and at least one or two quadrants should be visible any given time.

Another option....  just have one flag at one quadrant.   Since we can rotate objects, we should be able to rotate the flag and the quadrant flag will rotate with it?  That way the flag can always be visible somehow.    The flag can rotated to left, top, right, or bottom...  just gets placed where the road will be built and it's always available to be selected?

kid1293

Hi again. I think four corner flags for grid is very good. Then I can keep them small. Always one visible.
I will try that.

Circle radius up to 42? It is a lot but doable. I have to make a lot of icons :)

I'll be back.

kid1293

Well, as you said, you can click the grid, no need for any flag.
I made grid ghosted but can not make radius flag ghosted.
The radius is off from center and no matter how I try to edit it,
it is in the wrong place. It means you can not place flag where
there is a building. But now you can have on the mountain.