News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Adriana's Library v 1.0 - Redketchup (Preview)

Started by RedKetchup, October 09, 2014, 04:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

This is an excellent idea @RedKetchup. I think that a central door under the clock would look best. Your design is similar to the Carnegie Library design that was ubiquitous in North America prior to the 1960s. Andrew Carnegie funded the building of public libraries across the US and Canada and used basically one design with larger or smaller versions that could be built from brick or stone. Many of these still stand (though often re-purposed--our local example is now the Canadian HQ for Habitat for Humanity--as library services and needs changed). The basic idea is two or more stories with the main entrance in the center on ground level (or a bit above with a nice staircase) with some facilities on that level and the main reading room one story up. My wife and I worked in one in Springfield, IL, in the late 60s/early 70s to finance my first round of grad school. The intermediate floors in the stacks were made of glass and you could work up a serious charge of static electricity in there!

irrelevant

@rkelly17 My parents bought the Carnegie library in Plainfield Indiana from the library board in 1969 (for $10,000!). They remodeled it, and I lived there from then until 1978. It made a wonderful residence. Now it is HQ of some fraternity.

Loved that building, many great memories.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on October 09, 2014, 07:18:45 AM
@rkelly17 My parents bought the Carnegie library in Plainfield Indiana from the library board in 1969 (for $10,000!). They remodeled it, and I lived there from then until 1978. It made a wonderful residence. Now it is HQ of some fraternity.

Loved that building, many great memories.

Great picture, @irrelevant. That is a perfect example of the one of the smallest version of the plans. It must have been a very fun place to live--says the guy who spent most of his growing up in various So. Cal. tract houses.

The picture is really good for showing the basics of the design. The version I worked in was significantly bigger and the version here in Waterloo in between the two--the basic design is immediately recognizable.

Don't know how helpful this is for @RedKetchup, but hopefully some.

RedKetchup

WOAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!! so..... so......... so.........

i have no words !!!!!!!!!!

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Pangaea

Looks very good. Since there are chimneys, will it use firewood?

Have you tested the happiness stuff, will it work in combination with the chapel and small chapel? I recall somebody mentioned there were issues with the small chapel. @rkelly17 perhaps?

RedKetchup

wasnt an issue , it was just ... people prefered by far my little chapel than the church ^^

work building dont use firewood, the smoke get out asap you assign 1 worker to it, and if none working, there is no smoke.

Bobbi

It looks lovely, @RedKetchup! Still pretty big though. I think 300ish pop. What does everyone else think? I usually only get to between 1000 to 1500 pop before I have to quit due to lag time. I am imagining that four or five of these would not be completely inappropriate for that size town. Would be even better with a few of these and some cute little ones! I have had no problems with the little chapel, I have two built in my current little town for a pop of around 120, but I have built no big church yet. Will be starting over, probably, when @slinks' store mod is done unless there are no conflicts.

RedKetchup

i ll wait what others have to say

in wait , 2 more screenshot before i go to bed, i ll read up when i ll wake up :)

rkelly17

This is very, very nice @RedKetchup. I would say that a library of this size and obvious "heft" would serve quite a few people--maybe even 500 or so in game terms. A town probably wouldn't build such a library until it had reached a decent level of population and prosperity.

Pangaea

I'd agree with that @rkelly17. But the issue I have is from a balance standpoint compared with the default game. Though that is perhaps more due to the massive amount of chapels needed when each only serves 200 people. But given that, this building serving 300-500 people each will probably mean people will build few or no small chapels or (default) churches/chapels.

I like the building a lot btw. A little unsure on the patios outside the two doors, but perhaps it will grow on me.

A raging weather here now btw - thunder and lightning and biblical rains, so I hope the power doesn't go out... :-\

RedKetchup

alright i ll put 500. i am doing building not cause it is a necessity, but because we have nothing to put in a town when it s time to make a downtown.

in this game is only stone houses, wood houses and crops, and crops, and crops, and crops, and crops, and houses, wood houses stone houses, wood houses , and crops, and crops, and houses, wood houses houses, wood houses , and crops, and crops, and crops, and crops,  all the time from the point 0,0 up to 512,512 (or whatever the map coor are).

oh and hundreds of woodcutters.

Bobbi

Quotei am doing building not cause it is a necessity, but because we have nothing to put in a town when it s time to make a downtown.
Exactly. I want a nice, rustic looking downtown, with out lying areas supported by little buildings like the market building by elfecutioner and Red's little chapel. I am all in favor of a school building in town about the size of this library, however, maybe supporting 75-100 students for the down town area (hint, hint) Or a University if we ever come up with a reasonable mod for that.

RedKetchup

Well...... !  looks like i cant make it work to have its own attendance like a church..  a school.. an hospital... a Library attendance based on % number of population. i verified my code like 200 times.... and .... i am not getting a member at all. so.... kinda gonna check a Plan B.

it has definetly a radius of happiness: spirit which i will keep.

or i keep it like that, with just that, no real purpose, and no attendance, just the radius of happiness. not sure it worth to have a new profession just for that.

or i can turn it fully to school. with number of students. again the librarian profession is useless for that because since they arent labelled' teacher' it cant get students. and i call it : University ? or High School ? or keep it Library ? thats another possibility

i ll take a day or 2 longer, and decide what i ll do. comments are appreciated as always :)

michaelrym

It would be nice if a library or univeristy or whatever turned uneducated labourers into educated ones, but I suspect that's impossible to mod.

RedKetchup

impossible to do. once they are tagged laborer there is no turning back.