News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nillas isolated town Loomfield

Started by Nilla, August 22, 2014, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Today is an ugly cold and rainy autumn day. I sit in my computer-corner wrapped in a blanket with a cup of hot tee and have played a couple of more years, and YES!

I made the 2000!

Bin really happy.

Food.............still barely enough but only 2 more starvation-deaths.
Heating.........last year about 60% coal but I have plenty of wood, so I just started one woodcutter again
Herbs...........bad, lost another ½ star
Tools............getting down, I have built more blacksmiths making iron tools. I suppose it is soon about 50-50 irontools - steeltools. In spring the steeltool-makers do not produce anything
Population-growth........it´s getting slow now (I am glad). I think I will soon reach the maximum.
Stability..........?????? I will go on and see.

I have found a trick (maybe everyone else know already, but I didn´t) If a field with a lot of crop, got an infestation, demolish it and let the laborers clear the area. The crop will be collected. You can see the pots on the picture.

irrelevant

Congratulations! It's a good feeling.

Pangaea

Over 2000! Many congratulations, well done.

Is it actually possible to have a stable population in Banished btw? I remember this was discussed way back, and many people experienced the up and down curves when not enough houses were available. Perhaps it's easier to keep stable with such high populations, as there will still be a lot of deaths and births, but the little 100x thing I did with only 60-ish people, went in cycles and at worst was down to 17, before popping back up towards 80, and then the downward spiral re-occurred.

Nilla

Quote from: Pangaea on September 23, 2014, 03:36:42 PM
Looks like it is going much better this time, congratulations. Have you lost many people in the mines and quarries btw? I hear they can have a high death toll.
yes there are always:      ..........was crushed by a rock or...... died in a cave in    much more work-related deaths than for other professions

Quote from: Pangaea on September 24, 2014, 09:06:05 AM

Is it actually possible to have a stable population in Banished btw? I remember this was discussed way back, and many people experienced the up and down curves when not enough houses were available. Perhaps it's easier to keep stable with such high populations, as there will still be a lot of deaths and births, but the little 100x thing I did with only 60-ish people, went in cycles and at worst was down to 17, before popping back up towards 80, and then the downward spiral re-occurred.

it is not possible to have a stable population even if it is large (unless maybe if you work a lot with tearing houses down, using boardinghouses.......). As i speak of stability, i rather mean sustainable, able to support the population over these cycles.

Quote from: irrelevant on September 23, 2014, 04:00:57 PM
@Nilla  you have done incredibly well to have reached 1900 on this size map with no trading! You are quite a good problem-solver.

Yes problem-solver, that was my profession for many years. So I may agree on that, but artist, as you call me in that other thread, no, I cannot recognize this.  But thank you anyhow; a compliment from you,,,, kind of like that. ;)

Quote from: irrelevant on September 24, 2014, 04:46:12 AM
Congratulations! It's a good feeling.

But unfortunately the good feeling did not last long. I saw it coming. If you survive so many years with just enough food, the crash will come, sooner or later, hard or worse..... one bad year is manageable, but two bad years in a row........ no. But this time I only killed 1100 (my personal record is 1700)  :'(

I went on playing for some years, it might be possible to rise the settlement again, but I am not so sure. I have closed a lot of houses, also closed some fields. I let the farmers farm spring-autumn and mine in winter. Still there isn´t enough to heat with and not enough iron for tools, so I am afraid, this settlement will also "fail" on tools. I suppose this job-changes are not very efficient. The mines produce very little. Unless I forget to change back to farmers in time, the farming works decent, I manually start the harvest early and that helps.

I will probably let it run until the tools run out or if I am extremely lucky until i can turn the disaster, but here I am quite pessimistic.

I have asked myself the question, would it have bin possible to build this settlement with ~2060 Bannies and then letting it survive? Could I have made anything different? Would it have helped if I had built a bigger store? I suppose I could have built more fields faster and less houses an so a lower population growth. I am certain that it is not possible to have a large surplus in the end but i should have tried it a little longer. 

Sometime I will sure give it a third try! It is a very interesting task. I recommend all of you to try it!!! It is Banished in its basics!!

Pangaea

Wow, quite a fall off the cliff in the graph :(

It's actually tempting to try an isolated town, as I don't like how the trading mechanic in the game works and how you are sort of forced into (ab)using it to import raw materials and food to sustain a (normally) unsustainably high population. It means I have to use mines and quarries, though, and I don't like them at all either :D

Playing the game as an actual town of banished people is intriguing, though, so perhaps I'll give it a go.

Isn't it difficult without animals to provide you with warm clothes?

Nilla

I started easy so i had sheep
with leather from the deer, I could make some worm coats and some wool-coats, i think so about 50% of each.

And that is the first obstacle, finding a good map-seed, with one grain, one vegetable and sheep

By the way, as I thought, ran out of tools in the year of 80.

Pangaea

Okay, with sheep it's a bit different. Figured it would be very difficult to keep up with leather supply when practically the whole map is full too, but with wool at least you have a non-forest resource, and the warm coats last longer too I think.

Tools again, eh? Must be really heard, though, when you can't import iron or coal to make tools with, or tools themselves I suppose. Looks like you've hit the limit of what is possible while being self-sustained.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Thank you @RedKetchup

By the way I will give it another try to reach the 2000 and live!

I have bin thinking a little bit; I am quite sure, it must work. In the "endgame" I didn´t really produce too little food. The problem was, I hadn´t any store too "eat from" in the bad years. So I have started an earlier save, with about 1000 people, before my first food-crisis. I will now produce more food and let the population grow in a more moderate speed.

I´ll let you know if it works.

RedKetchup

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on September 25, 2014, 10:51:33 AM
Thank you @RedKetchup

By the way I will give it another try to reach the 2000 and live!

I have bin thinking a little bit; I am quite sure, it must work. In the "endgame" I didn´t really produce too little food. The problem was, I hadn´t any store too "eat from" in the bad years. So I have started an earlier save, with about 1000 people, before my first food-crisis. I will now produce more food and let the population grow in a more moderate speed.

I´ll let you know if it works.
This is really good thinking @Nilla. I bet it works. You might want to build a couple more barns though ;)

Nilla

QuoteI bet it works. You might want to build a couple more barns though

Not really ;) but i will fill the ones I have!

Yesterday almost 1900, much more food than my first attempt. Some barns are even full at harvest time!!  ;D  Enough? I don´t know, yet. I don´t dare to take so much space from the forests this time, because I now have problems with heating, what I didn´t have the first time.

It is so fragile! More people producing food, that´s good BUT.......

....... there are not enough people left for coal-mining. And if I reduce the laborers too much, there will be less produced in the plants, not at the market-places (I notice this especially for logs, but I suppose it is the same for the other forest-work-places). And if there are not enough logs for the woodcutters, that´s bad.

I try to micromanage, and reduce the laborers in winter, when the farmers, can do the "carrying-around", but changing professions often, messes the housing up, inefficient, too.

INTERESTING, INTERESTING  but difficult! :)

Nilla

YES

It did work out! It was a real struggle but I am sure now it is sustainable!!!

The population went on to grow (almost 2100 at the most)................
I had enough coal-miners and free laborers...........
so I had more coal and more logs............
this solved the heating-problem........
as I had enough coal, I could produce only steel-tools..........
that solved the tool-problem............
as i had enough fuel, i could "steal" some space from the forests and make more fields and more pastures..........
this solved the food- and clothing problems

Now the population is decreasing .......
that solves all problem anyhow!

I  show you the graphs of the different products. As you can see, there are smaller or bigger problems everywhere (maybe food was the least problem this time) ;)

Suppose this will be my last entry for a while; Tomorrow I will go to warm and sunny Spain for 10 days :)
I hope, that will be medicine for my old and hurting bones!

RedKetchup

sweet , happy for you :) profite these sunny days :)

irrelevant

@Nilla  It's fun that we each killed 1100 bannies on the same day! ;)

Excellent work figuring out what you needed to change and having the grit to go way back to change it. The graphs are impressive and speak for themselves.

I've never built any mines or quarries but I'm thinking I may need to in Gnaw Bone. I'm not sure I can get all 3 achievements with all wooden houses. But I'd need to quarry stone to build enough stone houses to make a difference. And in that case I'd need steel tools, so I need to mine coal. I might have to mine iron as well.

Or I could limp along with all wooden until I get to 300 pop and then I can build TPs. If I remember to leave room for them!